Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sid Meier’s Pirates!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sid Meier’s Pirates!
    Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 14:44
Just bought this a few hours ago, and what can i say. I loved the original (played it on a Commedore 64 15 years ago), and the Gold Edition (on my trusty old Mac, some 10 years ago), and now this.
Its spectacular, it genuinly captures what was good about the other two, whilst improving on them without doing anything wrong.
I admit the having to dance for the governor's daughter thing seems tedious, but its basicly a skill in the same vein of sword fighting, so i guess the two enhance each other.
I just crashed my first attempt without having saved, whilst trying to up the graphics to the max, but it seems there are some things this computer can't do

Any fans?
Arrrgh!!"
baracuda View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote baracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 15:12
Didnt know it was released on the Commodore 64? I played it first on my Amiga 500, its almost as enjoyable still!.. I liked it a lot, I bought my copy few months back.. though the sword fighting was too easy, dancing too hard for me.. In general I loved it, still waiting for some other commodore hits to come out on the PC
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 18:33
I remember playing the mac version Pirates! Gold. It was pretty good.

I think it's available for download now. You didn't have to buy it.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 18:51
Hmm, when i visit the mayor or the tavern, i look like something from one of the terminator movies, anyone know whats up with that?
Arrrgh!!"
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2005 at 22:37
I loved Pirates! Is this new version still playable or they screw it?
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2005 at 23:57
Played it when it first came out, good game.
It can really be tough as you get old.
Dancing can be a nightmare.

Dont understand what you meant by looking like terminator in the tavern. I did however install a nice little patch that made the bar maids topless,it added to the tavern atmosphere and it gave me something to look forward to when I was out at sea and it wasnt the governor's daughters.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2005 at 00:06
What I love most: the fake language all the governors and others speak. 
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2005 at 04:56
Cywr, what is your system's specs?
I have played it and finished it twice already. With maximum accomplishments. All treasures found, all relatives rescued, all pirates eliminated, all ranks obtained, something like half a million gold (if I remember correctly) and I think my fame was something like 24 but don't take my word for it. I have taken a screen capture, when I go home I will post it if anyone is interested.

And with no problems at all, all settings at the highest.
The only glitches are during the swordfights, where sometimes it slows down too much, resulting to not being able to use the controls right.
Another thing, irrelevant to the game though, is that because my optical mouse sometimes jumps to the other side of the screen with no apparent reason, I was missing some of my moves. Still, this is no real trouble at the first 2/3rds of the game, but when u get old and your opponents are stronger, then it is very annoying.

Actually, it is exactly the same game as the old one, but with better graphics and some nicer finishing touches. I must admit that I have spent innumerable hours on it, as it is very relaxing.
CARRY NOTHING
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2005 at 18:08
It is my graphics card, or rather the lack of one (integrated) that seems to be the problem. Solution seems to be to get a new computer
Oh well, i can still enjoy the game.
Arrrgh!!"
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2005 at 19:17
Why don't you just buy a VGA card?
I use an old, simple FX5200 and it works absolutely satisfactorily.
CARRY NOTHING
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2005 at 20:23
its integrated on to his motherboard.
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2005 at 20:45
The fact that there is an integrated VGA on a motherboard does not mean that it can't take another VGA and bypass the on-board one. Actually, it is very common practice. Don't be afraid, open the black box, it won't bite...
CARRY NOTHING
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2005 at 21:58
common practice,eh?    ..looks like you just volunteered to walk him throught that.
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2005 at 22:08
Done it a million times, and I'g be happy to help, but cywr has to choose and decide by himself on what kind of VGA card he wants to install and what does his motherboard can take, as well as how much he wants to spend on one...
CARRY NOTHING
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 12:48
The computer i'm presently playing on isn'ty mine, so i'm not about to go upgrading it at my expense
Arrrgh!!"
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 19:27
Joyrider!
CARRY NOTHING
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2005 at 13:26
Has anyone tried the newly released version for the Xbox?
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2005 at 12:33
You know Cywr, I really miss Port Royale. Trading my spices, rum, cocoa, ect.,.. that was great.    
Never played the sequel, only the demo and it wasnt as good.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2005 at 16:29
I've heard reviews saying the sequel isn't as good. I tried Patrician III instead, its neat, same idea, but ends up being a completly different game.

The terminator effect is fixed with the latest patch, so no more worries there for me.
Arrrgh!!"
 Post Reply Post Reply