Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is the casual greetings of your lang

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Spey View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Spey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the casual greetings of your lang
    Posted: 31-Jul-2005 at 00:55

Kia Ora 

Slainte Mhath

Good Health

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2005 at 08:01

Originally posted by Zagros Purya

I have always wondered: what is the relation between Spanish and Philipino? How mutually understandable are they?

northern islanders speak 10 percent Spanish, people from the central islands speak 20 percent and the southerners speak 60 percent which is almost spanish so they are called chabacanos. only the southerners can understand spanish. the north which are the tagalogs only understand spanish nouns as you go down south the central people, visayas also have some verbs and some adjectives. The Philippine dialects are all mixed with Spanish and native language and some chinese. Maybe if a spaniard did sign language and says  the nouns we would understand. Because only the nouns were retained like bentana, silla ,mesa etc. except that the some spelling was changed.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 11:24
I see, what type of language was pre Spanish Philipino? What is its closest relative?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2005 at 04:25

Originally posted by Zagros Purya

I see, what type of language was pre Spanish Philipino? What is its closest relative?

the pre-spanish language was a mix of ancient bahasa melayu and polynesian. The malays conquered the islands. We became part of sri-vijaya specially the central which is why they are called visayas. But the north has a little bit chinese influence because it was near Taiwan, in fact when the Spaniards came they found chinese people up north. After Sri-Vijaya collapsed the north became related to the madjapahit royalty and converted to islam so they picked up a lot of malay words. the central island retained most of the polynesian customs and hindu sri-vijayan customs. So they were called pintados because of their tattoos. The south was a muslim stronghold related to Bornean Sultans even today and their dialect is the closest to Bahasa and has the least spanish loan words.

niceone928 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote niceone928 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 07:15

Tagalog (filipino lanaguage) has many common words to spanish

como estas sp

Kamusta Ka?  tagalog

I believe the word in Tagalog for table is mesa and it is the same in Spanish.  Since they were concquered for a long time by the SPanish people of Europe, it is obvious that the language would be similar.  Also note, Tagalog has a mixture of chinese also. 

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2005 at 09:40

In Malaysia.. we speak in Malay. so normal greetings are:

Apa Khabar? -> How are you?

Buat apa? -> What are you doing?

Malay language is blend from arab, urdu and persian.. so there are some similiraty with other languages.....

Edited by cahaya
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2005 at 09:41
but cant see it, maybe upload it next time.
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2005 at 10:13

In Hungarian:

Generally:

J napot (kvnok!) =(I wish you a) good day!

Men to women or children to adults:

(Kezt) Cskolom = I kiss you(r hand)

Among friends:

Szervusz! (from latin servus) or Szia! (plural Sziasztok)

Hogy van? (formal) or Hogy vagy? (informal) = How are you?

(When a Hungarian ask this he really wants to know how are you.)

Edited by Raider
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2005 at 11:14

Sorry Guys........... unable to attach from here...

If you wnt to check the images of malaysianational palace.. Feel free to click on:-

http://www.malaysianmonarchy.org.my/portal_bm/rk7/rk7

Enjoy....

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2005 at 15:55
Originally posted by ArmenianSurvival

Eastern Armenians say:

Vonce es? = How are you?

Barev aper = Hello brother.

Then theres that very rare greeting which mixes Russian and Farsi (havent heard it yet, ive only heard OF it, lol):

Privet aziz = Hello dear friend.

Western Armenians say:

Parev, eenchbes es? = Hello, how are you?

Lav es? = Are you good?

Inch ka chka? =Whats new

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2005 at 04:43
How goes it?, What's Kickin?, What's Up?.. all casual greetings where I live (southern usa)
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2005 at 04:58
kvedjal sol that meens greetings to the sun ,which you cant see veery often

Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2005 at 11:56

I use these greeting with my friends:

Tja (slang, actually from italian "ciao") 

Yo mannen (Yo man)

Tjena/ Tjenare

Otherwise:

Hej

Hejsan

Nu guhk go mis leat meahcit, de lea mis dorvu dn eatnam alde

Ossfok i s kringest sturwekster sttliger. Summer v kulluma i riktit finer!
Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2005 at 19:03
In Punbaji

Oy kiddan?  (the last 'n' is more a nasalized 'n' than a hard sound)

This is very informal - you will literally insult someone of you say this to an elder or someone held in high regard.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 14:55
Over here the usual greeting is 'sup, followed by a slight head bob. Sometimes all that's required is the head motion.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 16:27
Originally posted by Mangudai

Tja (slang, actuallyfrom italian "ciao")

Tjena/ Tjenare

Nope, they both come from tjnare, servant, which was an old greeting in Stockholm ("din mjuke tjnare", your humble servant, or similar). Pronounce it with a Stockholm dialect and you'll hear it easy, "tjeeeeenare".

Edited by Styrbiorn
Hrodger View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Hrodger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 02:03
Nope, they both come from tjnare, servant

Well, I think that comes from the ciao-greeting, too. Compare this (hope I managed the translation):

(G. Stiernhielm)
"E. K. M.tz Vnderdnigste tienare G. Stiernheilm"
"Your's Royal Majesty (fully) subjected servent G. Stiernheilm"

(1659)
"Jag r . . min kre farkrs dmjukaste son och tjnare"
"I am . . my lovely father's humblest son and servent"

(1730)
"Jag frbl(ifver) med besynnerl(ig) hgaktning Ede och Hgl(r)de Doctorens samt Professorens Hrsamme tienare Olof Celsius"
"I become with highest regard your's and the (most) conceited Doctor's and Professor's diligented servent Olof Celsius"

(Bellman)
"Tjenare Mollberg! Hur r det fatt?"
"Hello Mollberg! How are you doing?"

(1798)
"Er tjenare"
"Your servent"

(1840)
"Din tjenare"
"Your servent"
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 11:12
Originally posted by Hrodger

Nope, they both come from tjnare, servant

Well, I think that comes from the ciao-greeting, too. Compare this (hope I managed the translation):

Did you write this wrong? First you say it comes from ciao, then you post info supporting that it doesn't. In any case, any etymological dictionary or similar will give you the answer(which I posted above).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234