Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chinese Armor and Military Uniforms Throughout the Ages

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
intem View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote intem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chinese Armor and Military Uniforms Throughout the Ages
    Posted: 10-Mar-2006 at 08:46

this thread seems to be very quite, let me just lighten it up for a while. Does anyone have anymore pictures on chinese armours whether its excavated replica ones or even paitings of it.

J.T.I.J
Killabee View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Killabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2006 at 16:59
Originally posted by poirot

Originally posted by sinosword

mingguangkai (not include arm protection)

be popular since tang

Is this a reconstruction?  For which Dynasty?  Looks like the Mingguangkai is from the Song Dynasty. 

It seems to be a replica for the TV drama "The Romance of Three Kingdoms". It is not historically accurate. The armour, especially the helmet defintely have some latter period element throw in.

intem View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote intem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2006 at 22:04

Let me just display one of mine previously collected chinese armoury, theres a few more pics on chinese armour that is excavated at the web address below:

This lamellar style armour from Ming dynasty is display in the great wall museum at Badalang (note: its not a replica at all this one is actually excavated in one of the sites which i do not know but i have the web site to it). http://www3.uakron.edu/worldciv/china/ch-armor.html

J.T.I.J
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2006 at 05:33
Originally posted by Killabee

Originally posted by poirot

Originally posted by sinosword

mingguangkai (not include arm protection)

be popular since tang

Is this a reconstruction?  For which Dynasty?  Looks like the Mingguangkai is from the Song Dynasty. 

It seems to be a replica for the TV drama "The Romance of Three Kingdoms". It is not historically accurate. The armour, especially the helmet defintely have some latter period element throw in.

Right.  Mingguangkai appeared after the Three Kingdoms period.  But the armor would be appropriate for the Song Period.  The helmet is reminiscent of the early Ming Period.

Edited by poirot
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2006 at 05:37
Originally posted by intem

Let me just display one of mine previously collected chinese armoury, theres a few more pics on chinese armour that is excavated at the web address below:

This lamellar style armour from Ming dynasty is display in the great wall museum at Badalang (note: its not a replica at all this one is actually excavated in one of the sites which i do not know but i have the web site to it). http://www3.uakron.edu/worldciv/china/ch-armor.html

I doubt all Ming armor is this cheap.  This is only the result of provincial commanders squandering all military funds and government failing to provide for uniforms in the later Ming Period.  So commanders had to provide soldiers with armor via other means.  Early and Mid Ming armor are quite elaborate.  Ming soldiers generally do not wear that flabby llamenar helmet, but a brimmed hat.  Late Ming Amor is brigindine based like early Qing armor, so the Ming Armor in the museum is not representative of Ming armor in general.
AAAAAAAAAA

Killabee View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Killabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2006 at 17:57

A remake of late-Ming dynasty armour. Note the armour is cotton-made which served best against firearm .

Here is the relic which the picture is based on.

Edited by Killabee
Killabee View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Killabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2006 at 18:02

Have you guys seen this photo? Did the Mongol really put on Armour like that during the Mongol Conquest?

poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2006 at 22:07
I doubt that the Mongols had such elaborate armor; maybe the commanders, but not every troop. 

Killabee, the late Ming style armor you posted is based on Emperor' Wanli's (1572-1620) armor, unearthed from his tomb in the 1950s.  Terrible emperor, but quite elaborate armor. 
AAAAAAAAAA

Killabee View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Killabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2006 at 23:55

Brigandine Armour worn by Emperor Chia-ching of Ming Dynasty.

A remake for TV drama.

Edited by Killabee
Killabee View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Killabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2006 at 00:13

Woodblock printing of Song Dynasty Armour from  Military Encyclopedia "Wu Jing Chung Yao" Ming edition.

Omnipotence View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Omnipotence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2006 at 23:58

Have you guys seen this photo? Did the Mongol really put on Armour like that during the Mongol Conquest?

Oriental armor usually tend to go without the nose protector on the helmet, so the top picture is incredibly wrong. The bottom picture is a maybe.

A remake of late-Ming dynasty armour. Note the armour is cotton-made which served best against firearm .

The armor should be worn by a high ranking commander(judging by the helmet). I'm not sure if the armor is cotton made. It may be partly made of cotton, or have a cotton undercovering, but the armor looks lamellar.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234