Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking For Some Hard to Find Books?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking For Some Hard to Find Books?
    Posted: 17-Jun-2005 at 11:49

Given the high level of history interest around here, I'd say some of you are all too familiar with the struggle of finding that just-what-you-want-but-long-out-of-print book for sale.  Or maybe you have something you're interested in, but just can't find a book that will cover your interest?  Maybe you've found that rare book you've been looking for, but are blown away by its price tag?

Well, let's devote a thread to a thread to finding the book you're looking for.  Maybe your fellow AE users can help you out...

I'll start us off:

First book I'm looking for is The Mercenaries of the Hellenistic World by G.T. Griffith.  I've located here, but the price tag is a little high.  Maybe someone knows a cheaper place to find it (I'd find it odd if they did)?

Second book I'd like to find is called The Spartan Army, and it's written by J.F. Lazenby.  Can't find it for sale anywhere.  Maybe someone knows a place that has it?

Last book I'm looking for is called The Seleucid Army:  Organization and Tactics in the Great Campaigns written by Bezalel Bar-Kochva.  Can't find this for sale anywhere either. 

τρέφεται δέ, ὤ Σώκρατης, ψυχὴ τίνι;
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2005 at 17:10

well, what i'm lookign for are out of print books by Montvert publications, namely:

The Achaemenid Persian Army by Duncan Head

The Seleucid and Ptolemaic Reformed Armies, 168-145 BC: v. 1 the Seleucid army by Nick Sekunda

The Seleucid and Ptolemaic Reformed Armies, 168-145 BC: v. 2 the Ptolemaic army by Nick Sekunda

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2005 at 06:52

If you really need those books you can always hire professional book seeker

9thgate0fm.jpg

mord View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote mord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2005 at 15:49

As an Interlibrary Loan librarian, I spend a lot of my time finding books--but the database I use is only really confined to the United States.  However, try looking at the national library of the country you live in.  Lots of them have websites, and those website have links to other library catalogs. 

Mord.

errr...left turn at vinland?
mord View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote mord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2005 at 15:55

Lannes,

As it turns out, "The Spartan Army" by Lazenby is owned by the Free Library of Philadelphia, and lots of other libraries in the US.  I don't know where you are, but you could order the book for loan via interlibrary loan.

I'll work on the others.

Mord.

errr...left turn at vinland?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2005 at 22:19
OR you could try something more convenient and better like
http://www.bookfinder.com as well as http://www.abebooks.com
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2005 at 22:21
By the way, Nick Sekunda writes for Osprey Military as well (or
used to), I liked his books a lot.

http://www.ospreypublishing.com
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2005 at 10:37
Originally posted by Lannes

Given the high level of history interest around here, I'd say some of you are all too familiar with the struggle of finding that just-what-you-want-but-long-out-of-print book for sale.  Or maybe you have something you're interested in, but just can't find a book that will cover your interest?  Maybe you've found that rare book you've been looking for, but are blown away by its price tag?

Well, let's devote a thread to a thread to finding the book you're looking for.  Maybe your fellow AE users can help you out...

I'll start us off:

First book I'm looking for is The Mercenaries of the Hellenistic World by G.T. Griffith.  I've located here, but the price tag is a little high.  Maybe someone knows a cheaper place to find it (I'd find it odd if they did)?

Second book I'd like to find is called The Spartan Army, and it's written by J.F. Lazenby.  Can't find it for sale anywhere.  Maybe someone knows a place that has it?

Last book I'm looking for is called The Seleucid Army:  Organization and Tactics in the Great Campaigns written by Bezalel Bar-Kochva.  Can't find this for sale anywhere either. 

order them from amazon.com

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2005 at 10:38
Originally posted by Mosquito

If you really need those books you can always hire professional book seeker

9thgate0fm.jpg

whoooo!a good thriller(though very stupid)

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2005 at 17:08

[QUOTE=Nadir Shah]By the way, Nick Sekunda writes for Osprey Military as well (or
used to), I liked his books a lot.

http://www.ospreypublishing.com[/QUOTE]

I have all his Ospreybooks but none of his books for osprey covers Seleucid or Ptolemies.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2005 at 00:20
That's true and before I forget again, I love your quote. By the
way, were you able to find any of the books after all this time??
TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2005 at 08:42
Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2005 at 14:35

Hmm, those are a bit cheaper than amazon.com, thanks TJK.  Thanks to everyone else as well.

I'll still have to try that interlibrary loan...

τρέφεται δέ, ὤ Σώκρατης, ψυχὴ τίνι;
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 02:29
Glad everything turned out!!
 Post Reply Post Reply