Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A curious weapon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pampa14 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pampa14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A curious weapon
    Posted: 27-Dec-2015 at 05:29

An interesting report with some curious photographs showing a Spitfire of the RAF carrying beer kegs under the wings. I've never seen this. Can anyone tell what the purpose of it ? To see these curious and unbelievable photos, visit the link below:

http://aviacaoemfloripa.blogspot.com.br/2011/01/um-armamento-curioso.html

Best Regards!

TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2015 at 19:33
It turns out that the troops were lacking the comforts of home after D-Day, so for morale sake deliveries of beer were made available.

The Story Of The Ultimate High Flying Beer Run

Normandy, 70 years ago, and one of the biggest concerns of the British troops who have made it over the channel, survived the landings and pushed out into the bocage against bitter German resistance is not the V1 flying bomb blitz threatening their families back home, nor the continued failure to capture the port of Cherbourg – but the lack of beer in the bridgehead.

On 20 June 1944, two weeks after D-Day, Reuter's special correspondent with the Allied Forces in France wrote to newspapers in the UK that all that was available in the newly liberated estaminets a few miles inland from the beaches was cider, "and it is pretty watery stuff. I saw a British private wistfully order a pint of mild and bitter: but the glass he sat down with contained the eternal cider."

- Tangmere, Sussex, July 1944: in front of a Spitfire IX of 332 (Norwegian) Squadron, a standard 45-gallon Typhoon/Hurricane 'Torpedo' jettison tank modified for use on the Spitfire (because of an expected shortage of 45-gallon shaped or slipper tanks) is filled with PA ale for flying over to Normandy while an RAF 'erk' writes a cheery message on the tank. The pilot sitting on the wing in this clearly posed government publicity picture is wearing a Norwegian Air Force cap-badge – something no one who has reprinted this picture seems ever to have pointed out. Is the man filling the tank a brewery worker? Surely. Is the beer from Henty and Constable's brewery in nearby Chichester? It seems very likely …

It would not be until July 12 when "real British beer" finally officially reached the battling troops in Normandy, and even then the quantity was enough only for one pint per man. But long before then, enterprising pilots in the RAF – and the USAAF – had been engaged in shipping beer into Northern France privately, using what the troops called "flying pubs"...

http://planelopnik.kinja.com/the-story-of-the-ultimate-high-flying-beer-run-1669434733

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 27-Dec-2015 at 19:37
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
internetkhan View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote internetkhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2016 at 19:11
I think this is what they should drop in the Middle East so they can all relax, have a drink and chill the f out.
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2016 at 22:15
While the non Muslims would concur in all probability...the fanatic Islamist would continue to reject it.

In point of fact it would merely exacerbate the situation.

Because even the most moderate Muslim I've ever known, would continue to deny it publically...even when we were drinking beer together at Pomona's

Such is life. I've tried over 40 years to understand it...but now have learned to just let it go.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Post Reply Post Reply