Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chateaubriand steak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chateaubriand steak
    Posted: 02-Jun-2013 at 18:00

One of the advantages of travelling by helicopter is that one sees much more than when driving. Today, for example, we were flying over a part of Essex that I thought I knew like the back of my hand. But what did I spot at the bottom of a long, narrow, windy lane, the end of which I'd previously driven by a thousand times ?   A lovely little country pub that was once a hunting lodge of King Henry VIII.

Putting down in a field next to it, we clambered over the beech hedge and sat down at a table in their beer garden. I ordered a pint of " Old Scum Bucket " for me and a pint of " Fiddlers Elbow " for the Memsahib and we perused the lunch menu. Oh joy of joys, what was the first thing to catch my eye ?
A Chateaubriand steak for two !   Now, I well remember the very last time I ever ate Chateaubriand steak.
It was the Night of the Hurricane of 1987 and we were staying in a lovely little hotel near Edenbridge in Kent. The plan was an overnight stay there, and then a fast drive to Dover to catch a ferry for France - we never made it because of falling trees, and the bloody ferry capsized anyway  !     So to find that steak again, and in a World where "T" bone steaks are banned because of Mad Cow disease, and Chateaubriand dropped from menus because the proles can't afford it, to find it again was a truly wondrous thing ; and do you know what ? I ate two of the buggers !
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2013 at 18:25
Are you sure that the ferry was capsized and not grounded, Marlin47?
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2013 at 05:38
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

Are you sure that the ferry was capsized and not grounded, Marlin47?

For me, as a party with a virulent dislike for cross channel ferries ( toilets awash with vomit, coach parties of drunken Brummies, fat middle aged women in fluorescent pink hot pants etc. etc.) any ferry that is even a shaving off one degree from the perpendicular has capsized. Mind you, I really wouldn't have minded had the sodding thing struck an iceberg leaving Dover harbour, since I never did fancy a day trip to France merely for the purpose of buying saucisson, escargot and legs of the frog; but one has to humour ones woman ( of the time ) and ones chums, doesn't one ?

As it happens, we couldn't even get out of the grounds of the hotel, since dozens of mighty oaks had fallen across the drive out, but since another guest was that fine actor and true English gentleman ( the late and much lamented Harry Andrews ), he and I emptied the bar ( not of people, but booze ! ) long before the storm had abated. Mind you, I was much surprised that he lent strongly to the rum, bum and concertina direction......ah well, it takes all kinds, don't it ?
 Post Reply Post Reply