Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Were the Mitanni Indo-Aryan or West Irano-Aryans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
jakob7509 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jakob7509 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Were the Mitanni Indo-Aryan or West Irano-Aryans
    Posted: 19-Jan-2017 at 08:17
Thats wrong just kurds with some sort of Syriac Orthodox background have Hurrian blood. I looking like a westernized Turk and Im Anatolian ethnically not Turkish. 
Hologram View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Hologram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2019 at 05:38
if mitannis spoke indo aryan and gave a sanskrit type name, it is pretty evident that they came from india/subcontinent or atleast their culture came from there because that is where migration put independent indo aryan and not any where outside india, outside india the family was undivided as indo iranian.

i remember barmakid family, which in sanskrit transliterates to pramukha who were the administrators of nava vihara from Balkh, barmakid name is an iranian or an arabic corruption of pramukha, nobody claimed that barmakids came from central asia as a third lineage of indo aryan migrants, they are assumed naturally as the locals who had naturalised into indic culture, so similar story must have been true for the mitannis. 

The entire scenario how indians or indian influenced people landed up in western asia and became rulers or at least got influenced by it is unbelievable to say the least, the iranian or persian scenario could have been much more digestible, it is natural that iranians are agitated about mitannis not being iranian but indo aryan because as the migrationist theory explains that indo aryan migration route was india while iranian route was persia/middle east/western asia. i think this discovery itself demolishes the whole migration scenario itself, not to mention that mitanni contains middle indo aryan features as well, im not sure how many prakritic words are attested in mitanni inscriptions, but there are definitely signs of middle indo aryan which also negates migration scenario as well and places the indo aryan of mitanni origin firmly in india.

if mitannis were iranians, the biggest question would be indra, varuna, nasatyas are never an iranic deities, mitra is iranian as well as indian but it maybe clearly a borrowing due to the indian presence in iranian like mitanni people. How did the iranians ended up with indian deities in the first place? secondly the names which are clearly attested in the vedas and their transliterations in mitanni names. People object to things like why mitannis have Z instead of J when its true for iranians and not indians, in urdu we also use Z and its probably due to persian influence, so its clearly persian or so local dialect is influencing enough, or the cuneiform has limited means of writing down sanskrit and its sounds which are not native to the region. 

regards 

Edited by Hologram - 28-Jun-2019 at 05:42
DanielTHays View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote DanielTHays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2019 at 20:10
Hey, how are you all I hope so all fine, Today I gonna discuss one important topic with all of you. My today's topic is based on study, in previous some time I needed a study clerk and I got it look at study clerk. That time was really good for me actually I got an assignment and I submitted it on time, I am very happy for that.
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2019 at 09:38
The Indo-Aryan linguistic affiliation of the elites of the Mitanni is documented in the inscriptional record.  The question, then is, where did these elites come from?   It is already a given that they didn't originate in the Middle East given that the Mitannians spoke a Hurrian language and that Semitic-speaking peoples were inhabiting the region prior to that.   

Some opined that it was India while others say it was central Asia.   There are two factors which favor the latter:

1. linguistics - some linguists have noted that while the words found in Mitannian-related inscriptions are definitely Indo-Aryan, they are NOT Sanskrit.   Rather, they are from a variant of Sanskrit, hence either a sister language or a sister dialect of Sanskrit.   This then indicates that it did not necessarily originated from India but rather from a region where the mother-tongue of both Sanskrit and "Mitannian Aryan" was spoken..

2. archaeology - some archaeologists have noted that there existed an intrusive culture during the Mitannian period in northern Mesopotamia characterized by black and grey wares which were related to wares from the Gorgan region southwest of the Caspian.  This region also showed the first evidence of the domestic horse and chariot in the Middle East in the period between c. 3000-2250 BC.  By 1800 BC at such places as Tepe Giyan was where this Indo-Aryan element first encountered the Hurrians in the region of the Zagros Mts.  By about 1550 BC the Mitannian kingdom was established in northern Mesopotamia.  The archaeology associated with the Indo-Aryan speakers which migrated into northern India seem to show a trajectory from the adjacent BMAC culture to the Gandhara Grave Culture to the Painted Grey Ware Culture of northern India.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12