Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Turkish Cypriot - Preservation of Oghuz Turkish?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turkish Cypriot - Preservation of Oghuz Turkish?
    Posted: 17-Mar-2013 at 18:15
The Turkish spoken by Turkish Cypriots may be one of the best preservations of middle-age Oghuz Turkish. 

There are many archaic words and also terms which are shared with the Turkish spoken in Turkmenistan, Azerbaycan, Iran etc 

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2013 at 19:47
So the Turkish Cypriots first arrived during the Middle Ages? I thought it was more recent
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2013 at 22:45
Originally posted by Nick1986

So the Turkish Cypriots first arrived during the Middle Ages? I thought it was more recent

From the late 1500's but their Turkish is a continuation of the Oghuz Turkish spoke by Turkmen tribes who had were nomadic/semi-nomadic so in remote villages we can see some of the best preservations of Turkish from that era.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

TITAN_ View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote TITAN_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2013 at 04:35
After the Ottoman empire expanded to Greece and the Greek isles, the Turks began to settle on all regions, beginning with Cyprus, Crete and other major islands.
αἰὲν ἀριστεύειν
Een aristevin
“Ever to Excel“
From Homer's Iliad (8th century BC).
Motto of the University of St Andrews (founded 1410), the Edinburgh Academy (founded 1824) and others.
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2013 at 05:02
Originally posted by Bulldog

From the late 1500's but their Turkish is a continuation of the Oghuz Turkish spoke by Turkmen tribes who had were nomadic/semi-nomadic so in remote villages we can see some of the best preservations of Turkish from that era.

Today, when we mention about Turkish, it is actually Istanbul dialect. As you said before, Turkish Cypriots didn't affect it. Their origin is probably nomadic people in Middle Tauros.

Differences between standard Turkish and Cypriot Turkish
http://www.turkishclass.com/forumTitle_51333

Cypriot Turkish Language
http://www.cypnet.co.uk/ncyprus/people/cypturks/language.html

there is list in here cypriot turkish words and turkish words. My grandma is also using some words as "avlu"(garden) instead of turkish "bahçe" or "darı"(corn) instead of turkish "mısır" so there are also more close Turkish dialects to Cypriot Turkish then Istanbul dialect

and also I find it very interesting

Turkish Cypriot:Nation
Cypriot Turkish:Language  LOL

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
TITAN_ View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote TITAN_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2013 at 05:15
Before 1974, there was no Turkish Cypriot nation, only a Turkish minority in the Republic of Cyprus. Anyway, the Cyprus debate is NOT for this part of the forum.
αἰὲν ἀριστεύειν
Een aristevin
“Ever to Excel“
Motto of the University of St Andrews (founded 1410), the Edinburgh Academy (founded 1824) and others.
yomud View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Inactive

Quote yomud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2013 at 10:19
Cypriot Turkish very very close to us but still not the same !btw uk english is not same with australia english but its still good we turkmens here have Tremendous difference here ! :o and we have some differences with istanbul turkish 2 see this

bin=men olur=bolor  ikmek=chorog kadin/bayan=heleyi .......

we dont have "s" and "z" directly so we use "th" for that :D "s" like (s)thunder "z" like (z)that !
      see this ! sen=then :O biz= bith :O our "R" Pronunciation is like italian ones

now turkmen vs turkmen ! iranian turkmens turn every kh to H (we dont have KH) turkmenistan           turkmen turn every h to kh ( they dont have H :O) see this

turkmen=turkhmen ! bahar = bakhar  hazar = khazar  ahmet= akhmet mehmet = mokhmet ! :O
      i think every turkmen tribes has it's own languages
yomud are free people
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2013 at 10:57
Originally posted by TITAN_

Before 1974, there was no Turkish Cypriot nation, only a Turkish minority in the Republic of Cyprus. Anyway, the Cyprus debate is NOT for this part of the forum.

There is no need an independent state to be called as a nation.

A nation may refer to a community of people who share a common language, culture, ethnicity, descent, or history.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation

Turkish Cypriots are not some kind of minority as Maronites, Latin Catholics and Armenians in Cyprus. They are "constituent people" with Cypriot Greeks. If you were happy, I can use nation for Cypriot but Greek-Turkish communities and minority for Armenians and Maronites

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
TITAN_ View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote TITAN_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2013 at 11:40
There was one state, not 2. 
αἰὲν ἀριστεύειν
Een aristevin
“Ever to Excel“
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2013 at 14:22
Originally posted by Ollios

[QUOTE=TITAN_]

Turkish Cypriots are not some kind of minority as Maronites, Latin Catholics and Armenians in Cyprus. They are "constituent people" with Cypriot Greeks. If you were happy, I can use nation for Cypriot but Greek-Turkish communities and minority for Armenians and Maronites

I'm confused? Cyprus is the name of the island not a nation in it's traditional sense. 

The two main nations are the Turks and Greeks. 

Anyway back to the topic. 

Turks of Cyprus say for example, Hacanda, a word used in Turkmenistan, Azerbaycan, in parts of Anatolia but not in formal Istanbul Turkish, there are many other such examples. 
Albert Pine

Qaradag View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Qaradag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2013 at 17:40

Differences between standard Turkish and Cypriot Turkish
http://www.turkishclass.com/forumTitle_51333

Very interesting, those examples are same as Azerbaijani Turkish.

Edited by Qaradag - 18-Mar-2013 at 17:50
TITAN_ View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote TITAN_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2013 at 14:27

[QUOTE=TITAN_]

I'm confused? Cyprus is the name of the island not a nation in it's traditional sense. 

The two main nations are the Turks and Greeks. 

Until 1974, it was one state, one country where a Greek majority and a Turkish minority co-existed.
αἰὲν ἀριστεύειν
Een aristevin
“Ever to Excel“
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2013 at 15:42
TITAN
Until 1974, it was one state, one country where a Greek majority and a Turkish minority co-existed.

Describing 1960-74 as co-existence is far from the truth.
Albert Pine

Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2013 at 00:23

TITAN

Describing 1960-74 as co-existence is far from the truth.

Thanks God Smile
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
TITAN_ View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote TITAN_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2013 at 03:11
Even before 1960, Turks and Greeks coexisted in Cyprus for centuries... 
αἰὲν ἀριστεύειν
Een aristevin
“Ever to Excel“
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2013 at 07:34
Originally posted by TITAN_

Even before 1960, Turks and Greeks coexisted in Cyprus for centuries... 

Pre-British era there were actually quite a few mixed villages, post-British era this gradually reduced, violence started as Turks and Greeks wrestled for more power. The Greek majority naturally felt they should be in charge but Turkey wasn't going to allow another Crete or Rhodes and Greece also saw an opportunity. In short Cyprus was like an outpost for Greece and Turkey with the British intentionally/unintentionally stirring the pot.
Albert Pine

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2013 at 19:47

I see. So these "Turks" were descendents of Muslim immigrants rather than Greek islanders who had converted to Islam?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2013 at 20:57

I see. So these "Turks" were descendents of Muslim immigrants rather than Greek islanders who had converted to Islam?

The Ottomans had a policy of sending their more 'unruly' Oghuz (Turkmen) tribes to frontier territories after expansion. 

Tribes from the Karaman and Konya regions, later also from Kayseri were sent to Cyprus.

The Turkish spoken shares more archaic Turkish sounds, words and is an interesting study for linguists.
Albert Pine

Post Reply Post Reply