Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cut and Paste+ plagiarism

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cut and Paste+ plagiarism
    Posted: 22-Aug-2012 at 17:29
We have had a spat of this recently and it's not good History nor evidence of research and use of the method. I refer to cut and paste predominately. In certain threads and subs there is more tolerance for it then others. For example in the 'Science' thread or a couple of the 'Defense' threads it's tolerable to a point. As these are info specific related with no or little expected return commentary. Though you should always feel comfortable with replying. And I encourage it.

However in other areas, for example: 'General History', History of the Americas' etc. etc. Cut and paste and failing to cite a source (in particular) is plagiarism (which is never good) and a no-no, no-go. It does not necessarily positively add to a debate or effort among posters, when you cite an article but offer no comment on whether it's veracity or informative value has any thing to do with the opinions already posted in the thread. In fact it generally provides nothing more then confusion as to your intent. And it's trolling. A CoC violation.

Nor is posting a cut and paste from Wiki or elsewhere, with no individual commentary going to be tolerated for very long. So... as I myself having been guilty of it on occasion.... give ya heads up. Get better at not doing it.  otoh ya might see the bench....if ya don't. Because this also is trolling.

Because in doing so, you and I, better demonstrate our seriousness for the subject matter and our attempt to remain civilly, and objectively, facilitators of communications and stimulator's of debate. And yes, I understand that we have many here for whom English is not their primary language and.... rules of grammar may differ....and that's understandable. And due consideration will be given. Because frankly, I'm not concerned with your individual use of vernacular and grammar. Though improper usage does not facilitate in the minds of some... your intellectual acumen. That's understood as well. But don't let that become your common practice and not your exception.

CV

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 22-Aug-2012 at 17:37
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2012 at 18:45
Sorry Centrix. I tried posting the link to the website, but every time i tried, it was broken. I had no choice but to copy and paste
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2012 at 22:02
Originally posted by Nick1986

Sorry Centrix. I tried posting the link to the website, but every time i tried, it was broken. I had no choice but to copy and paste

That specific incident is not what I am in reference to Nick. Nor are you or anyone specific being cited. As there are exceptions for all things. No... I am in reference to those who have made it a habit and been suspended and or are nearing that habit. Who they are is not important at this point. They will be dealt with as necessary.

Ntl.....This is a generalized statement and is good medicine for all.

CV
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Post Reply Post Reply