Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Philippines inscription mystery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Philippines inscription mystery
    Posted: 14-Jun-2012 at 18:21

AFTER 50 years of enigma, the text inscribed around the shoulder of the Calatagan pot, the Philippines' oldest cultural artifact with pre-Hispanic writing, may have been deciphered as written in the old Bisayan language. The Calatagan pot is considered one of the Philippines’ most valuable cultural and anthropological artifacts. It has been dated back to the 14th and 16th centuries.

http://www.pekiti-tirsia.net/actionbook-2009-05.php?lang=en&soundsParam=on&file=actionbook-2009-05
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2012 at 19:03
Don't be so quick to dismiss this jar as an "old mug" Sharwina. The Rosetta Stone was just a lump of rock, but to an archaeologist it was treasure as it unlocked a long-dead language. It's been suggested the ancient Bisayan language of the Philippines may have been influenced by contact with the ancient Babylonians
macayana View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote macayana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2012 at 01:32
thanks for starting this thread, nick.

i had no idea that the ancient babylonians had made contact with any part of the philippines, before this thread.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2012 at 19:47
It's pure speculation, but it's possible a Babylonian trader made it as far as the Philippines. Their neighbors the Phoenicians were the finest seafarers of the ancient world
kangarooistan View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote kangarooistan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2012 at 22:37
 thanks ,  I  too was unaware of these pots and script , I  suspect there was a lot of international trade during the bronze age that we are yet to fully identify ,  sadly there is very very little interest , time or money to research anything in great depth from  before the '' bronze age collapse ''  ,  with  most of what we have today comes from the official greco roman  empires  and their interpretations of history  is what colours  what we understand from the ancient periods , very few people today  are willing to accept the ancient Phoenicians or other so called  '' eastern peoples '' , almost certainly traded with all  4 corners of the planet , during the bronze age ,  thankfully bit by bit the evidence  is slowly emerging and one day the'' dots ''will b joined to reveal the full picture 
kanga
=====
okamido View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended, tit for tat

Quote okamido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2012 at 00:15
Originally posted by Nick1986

Don't be so quick to dismiss this jar as an "old mug" Sharwina. The Rosetta Stone was just a lump of rock, but to an archaeologist it was treasure as it unlocked a long-dead language. It's been suggested the ancient Bisayan language of the Philippines may have been influenced by contact with the ancient Babylonians
Who suggested this? Smile
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2012 at 19:38
John Masefield. He believes some Filipinos are descended from Phoenician traders
https://sites.google.com/site/truelakandula/jewish-1
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2012 at 00:30
If, as according to the article, the earliest form of writing in the Philippines dates to 900 AD, there is no reason to suspect Babylonians or anyone else. THe pity is that the article does not provide examples of the writing on all the artifacts cited, merely that last one.
Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2012 at 19:15
The alphabet probably originated in India rather than the Middle East, although "Babayin" does sound very similar to Babylon. Perhaps the Master of Meanings can tell us more?

Edited by Nick1986 - 24-Aug-2012 at 08:46
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2012 at 23:51
People speak and write long time ago.Why did only geometrical signs can be signs of well developed language?Caesar took cases&syllables from Demotic(expelling Afrikats out) for Latin.This language had had hand made signs in purpose:could be spread all around cause all people cared letters with themselves.Origin of Demotic signs&syllables could be older of Egypt.Somehow it looks people languages origin was similar.Sounds were combined in more complex structures.Did they learn to count first and than they try to do the same with words?SmileAnd they travel also.Migrations&mixing are eternal.  
kangarooistan View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote kangarooistan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2012 at 05:11
I  suspect that written languages evolve and borrow endlessly , and  IMHO ,  at some stage ,  we will see one world wide language used by everybody , the trend in this direction seems unavoidable , and  IMHO  beneficial . we will also slowly get better at translating the many older texts that still remain untranslated , or the many that need reexamination as better scholars emerge , the internet has turned out to be a great tool for all those interested in ancient histories , a dream come true for me ,  with countless  millions of free online ancient texts / books ,  scrolls and engravings , only  a mouse click away from my favorite lounge chair and coffee cup , '' heaven ''

kanga
=====
amature historian View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote amature historian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2017 at 09:56
Originally posted by Nick1986

The alphabet probably originated in India rather than the Middle East, although "Babayin" does sound very similar to Babylon. Perhaps the Master of Meanings can tell us more?

The alphabet certainly did not originate in India.  The evidence is pretty well estqblished it originated in the Middle East or African, by people speaking a Semitic language (related to Hebrew and Arabic) under Egyptian influence.  Some of the characters can be shown to borrowed from ancient Egyptian writing, and the names of the letter of the aphabet correspond to Semitic words.  The a variation of the names were kept in Greek alphabet, even though for Greek, unlike the Semitic languages, the names of the letters were just sounds.  No  reputable scholar believes the alphabet arose in India.

As for the writing, it can be hard at times to date inscriptions written on stone, if you don't have the context to date the writting.   Babylonians are very unlikely to have inspired the writing, but ships were known to sail from Indian to China in the late ancient/early medieval period, so it is possible a ship from India or China could have inspired some native of the Philippines to develop their own writing.  One man developed an unique writing for the Cherokee Native Americans by watching the white Americans writing.  Even though he was illiterate, he could grasp the idea and importance of writing, and independently came up with his own unique writing system.  So we know that a single individual can develop a writing system.  
 Post Reply Post Reply