Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Royal food

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Royal food
    Posted: 17-Feb-2013 at 15:07
Enough fats and sugars in that recipe to stun a rhino.  Frankly, I'll stick to sushi.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2013 at 13:18
It's strange the Tudors used more honey, sugar and spice in meat than they did in cakes. This was generally because food went rotten quickly, especially in the summer
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2013 at 14:35
Also why medieval chefs used a lot of rich sauces and gravies, to hide the taste of tainted meat.

"Living like a king" was more of a curse than a blessing.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2013 at 07:48

Living as a peasant wouldn't have been much fun either, with plain food like gritty bread, dripping instead of butter, and offal instead of prime cuts of meat. If there was a bad harvest, families could starve to death

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2013 at 08:03
More info on medieval food. Fruit and vegetables were always cooked, because it was thought eating them raw spread the plague. As water was unsafe to drink, people drank alcohol instead: wine for the nobility and weak beer for the peasants
http://www.medieval-life.net/food.htm
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2013 at 09:05
Obviously you lads never attended SERE or the Ranger Indoctrination program.....let alone RANGER School.

Had you..you wouldn't be whining about the offal... tripe...bugs...bad water....roots...dead birds....consumable lice off yer clothes and anything else...that will allow one to survive. 

Because in the end, them folks of yesteryear must have intuitively known that bad as it might be.. it will ntl get them to a point where they can tell the Queen; who advocates 'letting me eat cake' that her gawddamn days are numbered.

Amen.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2013 at 12:47
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

Obviously you lads never attended SERE or the Ranger Indoctrination program.....let alone RANGER School.

Had you..you wouldn't be whining about the offal... tripe...bugs...bad water....roots...dead birds....consumable lice off yer clothes and anything else...that will allow one to survive. 

Because in the end, them folks of yesteryear must have intuitively known that bad as it might be.. it will ntl get them to a point where they can tell the Queen; who advocates 'letting me eat cake' that her gawddamn days are numbered.

Amen.

Who says we're whining Centrix? Personally, I love offal-based food like haggis, black pudding, steak and kidney pie, or fried liver and bacon
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2013 at 21:44
Sheep's feet: a poor man's dish made of leftovers from the royal feast:
http://www.sixwives.info/sheeps-feet-recipe.htm

Edited by Nick1986 - 21-Apr-2013 at 21:44
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2013 at 23:37
Originally posted by Nick1986

More info on medieval food. Fruit and vegetables were always cooked, because it was thought eating them raw spread the plague. As water was unsafe to drink, people drank alcohol instead: wine for the nobility and weak beer for the peasants
http://www.medieval-life.net/food.htm

Given the widespread use of human feces as fertilizer for the fields, cooking fruits and vegetables was actually a very good idea.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2013 at 20:54
During the Middle Ages, oysters were comparatively cheap, but many wealthy young men ate them raw as an aphrodisiac
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123