Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Elizabeth: not a virgin?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elizabeth: not a virgin?
    Posted: 05-Sep-2012 at 08:33
Catherine was a good one..tin no doubt. But I always preferred Josephine...a natural, good hearted tramp, some termed her slut in her day...but I pay them no mind. Whom the Little Corporal loved to the end.

And for that alone I would give her the nod.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Sidney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Sidney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2012 at 12:56
Originally posted by Toltec

Back in those days someone who married a queen did become a king and ruler. No-one in England fancied Dudley as a king, so her council did their best to stop it.

Elizabeth's sister, Queen Mary, made an unpopular marriage to Philip,King of Naples (and later of Spain). They only married on proviso that Philip was styled King of England for only as long as the marriage lasted, and his power and benefits were heavily curtailed by law so that he couldn't drain English resources for his own ends.

Phillip didn't like this, and his claims to England after Mary died led to the Spanish Armada of 1588. Perhaps if Mary had had surviving children by him, then he might well have been King of England longer, but I feel if Elizabeth had wanted to marry she could have made similar provisos to retain her power.

But perhaps her sister's experience just put her off?

What about Matilda, Lady of the English and Empress? She was very nearly crowned in 1141, so would her husband have been Geoffrey, King of England (he was Duke of Normandy due to their marriage)? Did anyone ever call him or predict him as King of England?

Edited by Sidney - 05-Sep-2012 at 13:05
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2012 at 13:40
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

Catherine was a good one..tin no doubt. But I always preferred Josephine...a natural, good hearted tramp, some termed her slut in her day...but I pay them no mind. Whom the Little Corporal loved to the end.

And for that alone I would give her the nod.

Josephine was too nice for her own good, Napoleon broke her spirit bit by bit and in the end divorced her for young and nubile princess. She never got over him, and when some prince wanted to marry her she refused, so Napoleon can still come and talk with her from time to time in the small palace he left for her. So sad. Devotions hurts, a big time.
That's why it may be a wiser decision for a woman to keep lovers, not to marry them, especilly if one has certain political position. But she wasn't born a queen, Napoleon made her one. He really loved her kids.

Edited by Don Quixote - 05-Sep-2012 at 13:48
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2012 at 13:58
Mary queen of Scots also had similar problems, she wanted to keep power after she married, but her husband wanted power for himself. With William and Mary, William held all the power strings, though this was limited by parliament. Anne's husband George was probably the first true prince consort. England was always a bit unusual as it had more of a tradition of female leaders as well as a powerful parliament that liked to limit royal power, on mainland Europe it was much harder for women. Margaret of Denmark  for example, held power through her son and later avoided marriage as the government intended to transfer all power to her husband.

Edited by Toltec - 05-Sep-2012 at 14:00
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2012 at 14:14
Originally posted by Sidney

[QUOTE=Toltec]
What about Matilda, Lady of the English and Empress? She was very nearly crowned in 1141, so would her husband have been Geoffrey, King of England (he was Duke of Normandy due to their marriage)? Did anyone ever call him or predict him as King of England?

I'd think that he planned to do  so, that's why he supported Matilda militarily.
Kevinmeath View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Kevinmeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2012 at 15:44

Back in those days someone who married a queen did become a king and ruler. No-one in England fancied Dudley as a king, so her council did their best to stop it.

Elizabeth's sister, Queen Mary, made an unpopular marriage to Philip,King of Naples (and later of Spain). They only married on proviso that Philip was styled King of England for only as long as the marriage lasted, and his power and benefits were heavily curtailed by law so that he couldn't drain English resources for his own ends.

Phillip didn't like this, and his claims to England after Mary died led to the Spanish Armada of 1588. Perhaps if Mary had had surviving children by him, then he might well have been King of England longer, but I feel if Elizabeth had wanted to marry she could have made similar provisos to retain her power.

I think her sisters experience was very important.

If Mary had a son (Philips position was limited) who is he King of Spain or England?

Which is biggest and most powerful at the time? --Spain, England just becomes part of the Spanish Empire-- not popular with the English especially when you consider religion.

If Elizabeth marries had has a whole host of problems-- if she doesn't produce an heir it also creates a whole host of problems.
cymru am byth
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2012 at 21:49
Originally posted by Kevinmeath

I think her sisters experience was very important.

If Mary had a son (Philips position was limited) who is he King of Spain or England?

Which is biggest and most powerful at the time? --Spain, England just becomes part of the Spanish Empire-- not popular with the English especially when you consider religion.

If Elizabeth marries had has a whole host of problems-- if she doesn't produce an heir it also creates a whole host of problems.

Both, i think (if he was the oldest son). If Mary and Philip had children England would eventually become assimilated into the Spanish empire
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2012 at 03:37
Originally posted by Kevinmeath

[QUOTE=Sidney] [QUOTE=Toltec]

Didn't Philip what to marry Elzabeth? Then as younger and mre nubile at tis time she would most probably have a kid and England wuld have sucked in the Spanish Empire.
Her never marriing and not having kids actuallu worked out well, because when james of Scotland inherited her England added Scotland and retained its primacy; which wouldn't have happened if she married say, Philip.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2012 at 19:30
Philip did offer Elizabeth a military alliance, but she turned down his marriage proposals and encouraged her pirates to rob Philip's galleons
Alcebiades View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

suspended

Quote Alcebiades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2012 at 11:18
This is a BBC series on Elizabeth which can be found on youtube:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n0ZP43K7DA

good stuff.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2012 at 10:36
Elizabeth: history's most elusive bride
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2012 at 06:25
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2012 at 14:04
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12