Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Baseball 2012, Spring Training starts Next Week

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Baseball 2012, Spring Training starts Next Week
    Posted: 18-Feb-2012 at 12:24
After the Phils got knocked out early by the Cards, I sort of lost interest in the playoffs.  Then when the World Series got to the 6th game, Comcast lost the signal[so they say] couldn't watch it, next night, same thing.

Okay new year, new season, lets see what developes.

The good thing is that they will be able to get the World Series in before Dec.21st. Big smile

Edited by red clay - 18-Feb-2012 at 12:26
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
tjadams View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Suspended, go back to historum

Quote tjadams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2012 at 13:57

Lets not speak of the World Series and who should have won....grrrr...

I'm an AL guy all the way and I think very little of the NL.

But speaking of the coming season, there are still a lot of free agents out there who haven't 

signed and are playing a money-waiting game with teams.   There have been some major signings

already, some players changing uniforms, but that doesn't automatically win championships.

I'll be revisiting this thread a lot as any movements on the baseball front happen. 

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2012 at 15:05
Well, where you and I differ is you prefer the brand of ball played in the AL, and I......like any brand of ball.  AL, NL, majors or minors, doesn't matter.  For a baseball fan, I live in one of the best spots you can think of.  I'm within a 2 hour drive to- the Mets, Yankees,  Balt.O's, Nats and Phillies.  And an hour max away from 2 AA ML teams, one A and a AAA ML team.  You can't get any better than that.  A 5 hour drive will get me to Fenway for the Red Sox, which I do once in awhile.

On a different note, I'm not that impressed with the Phills lineup this year.  Pitching looks great, but don't think they did enough to improve the hitting.  Like TJ, I'll have to wait and see how things shake lose.

Not to stir up TJ but,  even without Pulhols, the Cards look like the team to beat this year.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
tjadams View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote tjadams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2012 at 01:25
I too love the game, be it at any level. I've had the pleasure of coaching my son's teams,
middle school boys baseball and girls varsity softball and I didn't have million dollar payrolls.
Many times I just had kids who wanted to 'try it' and yet, I was expected to be hitting coach,
conditioning coach, bench coach, 3rd base coach, manager and general manager. I just love 
the game. 
Yes it is true I would willing line the bottom of a parrot cage with a majority of the NL box
scores and only watch the highlights of those games, it is still exciting that the season is
underway and good or bad, fast or slow, I get to watch games. 
I don't care to follow the red bird team you speak of, as I know the odds are better for me
to jog to the moon and back than my Texas Rangers to go to the World Series three 
years in a row. I just hope for a competitive season from the reigning AL Champs.

Tiger of Kai View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Tiger of Kai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2012 at 13:47
Well, it looks like I won't be worrying about postseason baseball this year....

Homer Bailey just might be the worst starting pitcher in the NL. He's useless.
okamido View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended, tit for tat

Quote okamido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2012 at 19:05
Originally posted by Tiger of Kai

It's way too early to be thinking like this. Smile
tjadams View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote tjadams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2012 at 02:43

It was his first start of the year, although he's always been a marginal second tier starter.

It  is a long, long season. Your Reds will hit a nice streak.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2012 at 10:36
Originally posted by okamido

It's way too early to be thinking like this. Smile

Way too early, hell it's still april, they haven't had time to find their lockers yet. Big smile
I have to be positive, and hope that the Phils will start to remember how to hit.  Their defense leaves much to be desired as well.  In their quest to find hitters they traded away one of the best arms in the league, Wilson Valdez.  The only bright spot so far is Galvis.  But, as Okamido pointed out, it's a very long season.  Plenty of time for them to get it together.

And TJ, if any team had a chance to 3 peat, it's the Rangers.  Wash is one of the best managers I've seen in a lot of years, they have a load of talent, just have to be patient and see where it goes.
As I said last year and the year before, what I would like to see is a WS matchup,  Rangers and
Phils.  It's the first month of the season, right now, anything's possible.Star

Unknown.
tjadams View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote tjadams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2012 at 12:45
Originally posted by red clay

And TJ, if any team had a chance to 3 peat, it's the Rangers.  Wash is one of the best managers I've seen in a lot of years, they have a load of talent, just have to be patient and see where it goes.
As I said last year and the year before, what I would like to see is a WS matchup,  Rangers and
Phils.  It's the first month of the season, right now, anything's possible.Star

Despite the sucess of the Rangers the past few years, personally I'm still on the fence about Washington.
This isn't anything to do with race, I just don't like his style of the way he carries himself at times.
Maybe I'm used to the more traditional mode of a manager and how he should contuct himself in the media.
Locally, naturally I hear a lot more from him than most on the board will, but Washington almost seems
to pride himself on being illiterate. He even had an embarrassing use of drugs come up but fans are so
fickle that just because he was winning, they closed their collective eyes and cheered the team on.

Last year, in an interview, he was just talking and the one sound-bite that has become a local baseball
cliche is "that's the way baseball go."  He said that and wan't attempting to be funny or memorable. He just
bugs the dooble-bugs out of me.

I've always been perplexed by the old mouse trap of " Is it the team or the coach"?
Let me manage the Rangers or any top tier team, for a week, in either league and what would be the odds that
I would win three of five games?

The Rangers starting staff is solid, but not unbeatable. The bullpen is not fully jelled, but stable.
The Rangers have the most serious competition from the Angels who spent a lot of serious cash
on a few players. It would be a sniff of heaven's air if the Rangers went all the way again, but that
would be so so hard. So many things have to click. I always just hope for a positive win season and
anything after that is pure white gravy.

Overall he seems like a nice
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2012 at 15:40
From an old fan...nearly as old as ole Red his self... My heart says Ranger's...my brains say Card's.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2012 at 12:05
My heart also says Rangers, and thinking over what TJ posted I keep coming up with a manager much like Wash.  Casey Stengel was the best manager in baseball for a lot of years.  He wasn't very well educated.  His mangling of the english language is legendary and Stengelisms are still quoted today.  However that didn't prevent him from being a Baseball and motivational genius. In 25 years as a manager he took 10 pennants and 7 WS titles.  With MLB the way it is today and with it's move toward parity, the Rangers getting to the big dance 2 years running, regardless of not having won it, is no accident.
A lot can happen between now and October, but you can bet the Rangers are going to be in the race.

Unknown.
tjadams View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote tjadams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2012 at 14:22
I know it is way, way early to be looking under rocks and looking for worms, but,
I don't think my Rangers have 'it' this year.
I can see a winning record in the end, but not much more.
After a fast star, the team is sputtering. I know the team could rip off a long winning
streak and calm the worried fans, and me, but we haven't been playing well of late
and our bull pen has been misfiring. I am worried about the symptoms I'm seeing.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2012 at 11:26
Originally posted by tjadams

I know it is way, way early to be looking under rocks and looking for worms, but,
I don't think my Rangers have 'it' this year.
I can see a winning record in the end, but not much more.
After a fast star, the team is sputtering. I know the team could rip off a long winning
streak and calm the worried fans, and me, but we haven't been playing well of late
and our bull pen has been misfiring. I am worried about the symptoms I'm seeing.

Your Bullpen is misfiring, the Phil's pen is just missing.  6 games consec. they have blown saves.  The worst bullpen in MLB.  Blanton left after 6 innings, with a 6 point lead, the Mets won it in the 8th, 9 to 6.
Last nite it got worse.  The Phill's defense went down the chute, something I haven't seen in a very long time.  The Mets swept a 3 game series at the Phills park for the first time since 2006. They are under 500, and right now, a winning season looks a long way off.

Unknown.
tjadams View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote tjadams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2012 at 03:06
Yes, our bullpen just does not have all the fine pieces. I don't follow the NL so closely, so I'll take your word about the Phils.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2012 at 23:29
Originally posted by tjadams

Yes, our bullpen just does not have all the fine pieces. I don't follow the NL so closely, so I'll take your word about the Phils.

The Texas Rangers are 23 and 12, best in the AL, 2nd only to the Dodgers.
Their Bullpen and starters have a team ERA of 3.57, best in the AL
They have the best offense in the AL

And they are the only team in baseball that still have the same 25 man roster that they opened the season with.  Throw in Josh Hamilton with his .401 batting average, and I have to ask what the heck are you worried about?

The Rangers shelled the Angels last nite, 13 - 6 Sit back and enjoy.Big smile

Unknown.
tjadams View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote tjadams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2012 at 00:42
My Rangers are playing sloppy and better get their head right with game!
Five un-earned runs tonight in being swept by the Royals!
The Rangers just finished destroying the Angels and now this?
I offer no excuses other than the team is in a MUST win tomorrow,
the 16th, against the As.
This is a stretch of games the Rangers were supposed to get fat off of with
the calibre of teams they're set to play. I don't know now.
 Post Reply Post Reply