Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Historical Mary Madgalene

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Sidney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sidney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Historical Mary Madgalene
    Posted: 17-Mar-2012 at 21:06
Cheers DonQ. I like to play with possibilities too, but maybe I'm less patient than you are.

Good point about names being magical. Like a deferred wish for the person named. I think we all like to find out if our own names mean something nice, even if whoever named us didn't know the meaning.

I understand the point about Roman names now. Women were given two names based on their father's family, whilst the men often had three or even four, including a seperate personal name. So you got a point about women being less of an individual - with fewer names going around more women would have shared the same name as the men did. But this is only in official documents, and many men shared the same name too. But everyone would have had their own nicknames within family and friends to distinguish them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_naming_conventions_for_females
I don't know how peculiar this practise was to Rome and its empire, though. Nor whether it has anything to do with Hebrew naming traditions. A look at the Herodian and Hasmonean family trees show a lack of name variations for men and women.

I hope the new book is entertaining and informative, and gives you further inspiration to post stuff for us to read on the thread.

Edited by Sidney - 17-Mar-2012 at 21:07
LeopoldPhilippe View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote LeopoldPhilippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2015 at 20:55
One of the Easter Gospel accounts I like is The Gospel According to John.     
In Chapter 20, John writes how Mary of Magdala came to the tomb and saw the stone had been removed. Two angels asked her why she was weeping. Mary replied that her Lord had been taken. She saw Jesus. However, at first she thought that Jesus was the gardener.
Arthur-Robin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2015 at 15:50
No one seemed to see/say that Mary Magdalene (& 7 demons) seems to symbolise either the 7 Churches, or the 7 hills of Rome. Migdol "tower" has same meaning as Pergamos/Pergamum "tower" [and Pergamum where Antipas died church age matches Rome where Telemachus died].
She also figures in Robin Hood legend/mythos and in that area (Lund place name). Some sources say she was a "hairdresser".
"Don't touch/cling-to me".

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123