Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Rag Trade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Rag Trade
    Posted: 25-Nov-2011 at 19:46
During the Victorian period the Jewish communities of London and New York were involved in the old clothes trade, acquiring garments from the wealthy who discarded them when new fashions came in, or from the family of recently deceased people. Other sources included obsolete military uniforms and (supposedly) clothes taken from deceased hospital and workhouse inmates or stolen from washing lines. When yellow fever broke out in New York, nativists were quick to accuse the Jews of selling infected (and stolen) clothes:

London Labour and the Labouring Poor

Blackwood's Magazine

Harper's Monthly (this one has some shockingly racist stereotypes)

Edited by Nick1986 - 26-Nov-2011 at 18:00
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2011 at 19:07

An 18th century print of a clothes-seller. Jews were long associated with the recycling industry, using their resourcefulness to turn cast-off trash into products that could be sold
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2011 at 19:42
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2011 at 19:26
The Jews' involvement in the rag trade dates back to the 1500s. Here's a book on Jewish old clothes sellers in Italy:
Jews in the world of the Renaissance
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2011 at 13:48
Here we still use name "strachara"(strazzaria) for hand made house/shop in poor conditions.Now I know why.Jews were citizens with constrained rights:Why did do this to them?

Edited by medenaywe - 29-Nov-2011 at 14:02
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2011 at 19:11
Basically, because the Jews weren't Christian. The elite wanted to retain control over the most lucrative businesses while creating a minority to blame when things went wrong
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2012 at 08:17
''creating a minority to blame when things went wrong''
In the early 19th ce America that honor was also ascribed to the Irish...and later with every signficant immigrant group to hit the east or west coast. In Tejas; it was reserved for Mexicans and Comanches.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2012 at 19:07
Is that the reason why modern-day Americans make fun of the Poles? As the Germans, Irish and Chinese have assimilated, people seek a new minority to ridicule and compare themselves to
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2012 at 19:32
Originally posted by Nick1986

Is that the reason why modern-day Americans make fun of the Poles? As the Germans, Irish and Chinese have assimilated, people seek a new minority to ridicule and compare themselves to

It's the reason they made fun of and belittled them all as they appeared and were rejected by the extant members, elite or others... who had come before them. Their failing (the latter's) was to remember they they themselves were or had been often time subjective to similar prejudices and rejections elsewhere.

Couple this with that they represented possible competitive interests in the maintenance of wealth, power and prestige, resources, jobs, markets, and the accumulation of it/them etc.

Consequently to be either feared or rejected outright.

An excellent explanation of the phenom is found in a A Patriot's History of the United States et al.; Schwiekart and Allen.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2012 at 19:56
Originally posted by medenaywe

Here we still use name "strachara"(strazzaria) for hand made house/shop in poor conditions.Now I know why.Jews were citizens with constrained rights:Why did do this to them?

This might interest you Medenaywe. Many Jews worked as tailors, reworking unfashionable clothes and selling them at a profit:
http://www.20thcenturylondon.org.uk/jews-and-rag-trade
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2012 at 19:17
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2012 at 19:51
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2012 at 19:20
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2012 at 19:01
 Post Reply Post Reply