Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why didnt Persia send for help?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why didnt Persia send for help?
    Posted: 03-Oct-2004 at 23:31
Originally posted by warhead

"Has Iran ever been able to defend itself against invaders, attackers, occupiers and conquerers? It seems like just about anyone who ever attacked Persia/Iran managed to either occupy or totally conquer the country. Sad.

Greeks/Macedonians, Arabs, Turks, Mongols, Turks again, Afghans...more recently the Brits in the early 20th century...They all attacked and they all managed to occupy Iran for a good deal of time."

You can say this with practically any area on earth.

There are not that many countries that have been around for a couple of millenniums, are located right in the middle of the old world, and have been relatively rich through out most of their history. Add all of these up and you can imagine that there would be nomads or less affluent countries around them that would try to invade and take some of the riches. A few like Alexander, Genghiz Khan, and Mohammed succeeded and many you never hear about were defeated. Alexander came very close to getting killed in the first battle he fought against the Persians in Asia Minor. Had he died in that battle today you won't be reading stories about how he was defeated. That was expected and would have been too boring to mention. He would have been another one of these small rebels without a name who tries and failed and nobody knew about.

Fizzil View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fizzil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2004 at 04:21
I feel a bit offended when calling arabs dogs... i'm arab myself..
Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2004 at 17:12

Calling dogs Tazi is no different than calling cats Persian. You also have to remember that Tazi was the name Persians used to refer to real Arabs as in nomadic people that lived in part of what is Saudi Arabia now. Today term Arab is used to  refer to any middle eastern that speaks Arabic whose ethnical identity or language somehow has been forgotten through the history. I don't think there is any offense intended by calling dogs Arab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12