Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The most important thing which can unite a people?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which one:
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [50.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [50.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The most important thing which can unite a people?
    Posted: 29-Nov-2010 at 14:18
However it seems in some countries people who speak the same language have alse the same race, religion, culture and etc but there are also people who have the same language, like Kurds, who live in some different countires, about the race and religion, there are certainly larger number of similar peoples.

It is almost clear what are the most important things for nationalists, religionists, racists and the follower of ideologies and I think all of them can be dangerous people, anyway something should unite a people, we have experienced that race and racism are among the worst things which can unite a people against other peoples, I believe relgion is at the second place after race, thousands years of endless religious wars can prove it.

Several people have talked about Globalism, but it is a fact that in a competition, we prefer that we ourselves win, then someone from our family, city, country or even continent.

Athena View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Athena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2010 at 18:35
In ancient times religion was essential to uniting large numbers of people.  But as we know, there can be much disagreement about religious truths.  Now what to do? 

How do we determine truth?  For centuries that was reading one's holy book, but it certianly is not the priority of way of knowing truth since the 21 century and mass education for technology.  This is not the ideal education, as liberal education is better suited for human beings, but the point is science has strongly influenced how we determine truth.

This is not new to our time, but was very much what made Athens uniquic.  Athenians loved to question what is true, and what is moral, and what is right, and through their philosophy came this idea to imitate the gods, and that is what democracy is.  Democracy has never been fully manifest but is always in the process of evolving.  Now we can be any race, or practice any religion, and we can still all come to the table with all our different points of view, and discuss what is true, what is moral, and what is right.   This is an on going processes, and today's truths can be completely changed by new information.  This is how to raise the human potential, rather than destroy it as religions does. 

However, since education for technology replaced liberal education, the people are no longer prepared to manifest democracy, and they are making terrible decisions.  At least in the US the people may bring their civilization to an end as civilization before have come to an end.   Education for technology and technogical correctness is devastating to democracy.  It is no better than religion.  Thie problem when people become technologically correct, is ending freedom of speech and creative thinking.  And example of this is arguing because these forums are privately owned, the owner can do whatever he decides to do.  Words like trolling and  preaching serve well to end discussions of God and silence forever the person who dared to speak after being warned.   Having said that, I want to quickly follow that the All Empires History forums have been exceptional so far, and I hope that does not change, so someone is understanding the principles at least to some degree.  But in general we just are not understanding the fundamental principles of democracy, and that is sad.  Whatever, democracy is the most important thing which can unite people. 

Hum, I just noticed you said "a people" not people.  When our goal is to unite people, our focus must be truth.  When our goal is to unite "a people", we achieve this by distinguishing "us" from "them".  Racism, nationalism and religions serve well in uniting "a people", us against them.  Wow, I am light skinned, and born in the US, and know the bible, we have all the money and power, so I must belong to the best unit of people on earth.    Ouch boy, is that  a__ h___ thinking!  Gag me with a spoon, I would hate to argue the truth of the statement.  This was Rome not that long ago.  The Aztecs weren't too shabby either.   Being the best is very temporary.  

besides that, look at the poll.  I must have the right answer because it is 100%  Everyone agrees with me. 

Edited by Athena - 29-Nov-2010 at 18:58
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2010 at 19:22
Well Athena, I would suggest that "Nationalism" would also win in a landslide if it was imported into the discussion at the correct point?

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2010 at 20:25
what about culture, sometimes it can unite people even better than country or nation. In the past in europe, the latin culture was uniting the continent.
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Athena View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Athena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2010 at 12:34
Mosquito, I seriously appreciate what you said, and OH YES, IT WAS THE LATIN CULTURE UNITING EUROPE.  LITERANCY IN GREEK AND ROMAN CLASSICS WERE THE FOUNDATION OF CULTURE IN EUROPE AND THE USA.   That was exactly what public education in the US was all about.  Around the 1800's the US was being flooded with immigrants, and the easy land was gone.  Immigrants got trapped in industrial city ghettos, or they moved west, beyond the mountains and into a huge valley, then over another mountain range into California, Oregon and Washington on the west coast.  Those who moved west weren't of much concern, but those in the cities were acting badly as immigrants struggling to survive do when the struggle is too bad.  I think our history might give us a different view of Muslim immigrants who are a problem to their new communities.  IMMIGRANTS ARE A PROBLEM BECAUSE THE GOOD LAND IS TAKEN, THE GOOD JOBS ARE TAKEN, AND THEY DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE CULTURE AND LANGUAGE THAT WELL, SO THEY DO NOT FIT IN AND DO HAVE A HARDER TIME COMPETING.   NOT TO MENTION THE TOTALLY DIFFERENT REALITY OF CONSTANT COMPETION COMPARED TO BELONGING AND EVERYONE CARING ABOUT YOU.  THE US HAS ALMOST TOTALLY DESTROYED THE SENSE OF COMMUNITY PEOPLE USED TO HAVE.  TODAY PEOPLE HAVE NO MEMORY OF A SENSE OF COMMUNITY AND BELONGING. AND THIS IS WHEN THEY JOIN GANGS AND SUBCULTURE GROUPS.  WE ARE SELF DESTRUCTING, AND CYRUS'S QUESTION IS ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTIONS OF THE DAY. 

Around 1840, the federal government mandated communities provide free public education.  Mind you, this had nothing to do with technology, nor vocational training.  It was 100% about learning to be good citizens.  To insure children got this education, and then taught their parents about good citizenship in this country, a child labor law was passed.   Children could not work in factories during school hours, when it was common to man the factories with 11 year boys.  In 1917 when the US moblized for the first world war, Industry wanted to shut down public schools, claiming the war caused a labor shortage, and that they were not getting their monies worth from public education, because they still had to train new employees.  Teachers argued an institution for making good citizens is good for making patriotic citizens, and vocational training was added to appease Industry. 

Government is only one aspect of democracy.  Democracy is about all our relationships.    A strong democracy must have strong families, so family values are taught.  Everyone must care about everyone else, because in a strong democracy people must vote for the good of the nation not just themselves.   I am saying democracy comes with a set of values and primciples and education for democracy is teaching the children these values and principles.  This education also prepares them for independent, critical thinking, and human problem solving.   As said, vocational education was added to this, and 1958 this education was replaced with education for technology for military and industrial purpose, and immediately social upheavil followed, and the moral decline is so bad our banking system gave a terrible blow to economies around the world. 

I don't think any of you are paying attention to what I am saying, but it is the answer to Cyrus's question.    Education is essential to democracy and that education is about values, principles and good moral judgement.  It is about solving human problems and this begins with learning about being human, it is humanism, and unfortunately religious people today, often oppose humanism.  Our democracy has been high jacked by military and industrial interest, as was the republic of Germany and first leader of the New World Order.  Democracy is a way of life.  It is about all our relationships.  It is the world's best chance for peace.  But only people educated for democracy can manifest it.  

Edited by Athena - 30-Nov-2010 at 12:49
BIG D View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote BIG D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2010 at 12:52
there NEVER has been, nor will be, 'peace'..there have ALWAYS been wars and always will be, large and small....this is undeniable--man cannot live with man--even 'best friends' get angry at each other.....
Athena View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Athena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2010 at 18:56
Best friends may get angry with each other, but they do not normally kll each other.   It is hard for me to imagine well informed people making war on each other.  I think wars depends to a high degree on ignorance.  We have the technology today to radically change that. 
BIG D View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote BIG D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2010 at 13:11

technology is also used to kill/destroy<>atomic bombs<>so that--atomic-- technology[[which you have to agree was really phenomenal??]] really didn't help...or hitler's gas technology??-so there have been wars since?when?, and still are, and SOMEHOW, you think they can/will be stopped??it's almost like saying the sun will come up in the west...

Post Reply Post Reply