Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Does Anyone have a Recipe for Purslane

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does Anyone have a Recipe for Purslane
    Posted: 29-Jun-2010 at 18:36
I have a small unused section of my garden in which purslane has flourished. some of the plants are approaching 3 feet.  They are thick, full and lush.
Purslane in my area is a PIA noxious weed.  Control is not a simple thing.  It resists most herbicides and if you use mechanical means such as a roto tiller, your really up a creek. An RT chops up the plant.  Problem, for every fragment, no matter how small, there is the potential for a new plant.  So you allow them to grow large and you can pull them without leaving a leaf.

Edited by red clay - 29-Jun-2010 at 18:39
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2012 at 03:07
It can be sued in salads, or steamed like spinach, AFAIK, but i never tried it because I don't have it on the hill.
In Greek Cookings is use in:
"...Use purslane raw and fresh in salads, sautéed as a side dish, or in soups and with fish and meats.
- A popular and very common summer salad in Crete is prepared with purslane and yogurt.
- Purslane may be preserved for winter use by pickling in apple cider vinegar with garlic cloves and peppercorns...."http://greekfood.about.com/od/herbsspices/p/purslane.htmIt has valuable medicinal uses, as can be seen on the link. I collect herb and use them for variety of needs, so I kinda envy you /in the good sense, of course/Smile.
Btw, "weed" is a plant whose valuable qualities are not yet realized. Nothing is useless in nature.

Edited by Don Quixote - 20-Feb-2012 at 03:08
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2012 at 06:07
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2012 at 06:14
Is it a salad? 
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2012 at 06:18
If ya cant find mustard greens or dandelions or cattails. Yep. Don't care for the taste myself but it's healthy.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2012 at 06:28
Will try than.I eat green salads with olive oil&Apple acid&Salt!Mayonnaise goes well with cabbage leafs and
spinach&brokul!
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2012 at 18:26
Dandelions are good,but one has to pick them when young, otherwise they get bitter. I pickle the unopened buds in pickle for vegetables and whole allspice, and put the opened flowers in salads. Also it makes a pretty sight one to put the flowers in in the ice-tray ad ice them in a ice cubes then use them in lemonade or other drink - it looks like frozen suns.
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2012 at 08:45
I found these tasty sounding ones.

Purslane Potato Salad

• 6 medium red potatoes, cooked and cubed
  • 3 cups purslane, washed and chopped
  • 4 scallions, sliced
  • 2 celery stalks, sliced
  • 4 tbps. homemade mayo, blended nut~based cream or simply any cold~pressed oil
  • 2 tbps. dijon mustard
  • sea salt and pepper to taste

Wash and chop all ingredients. Mix together in a bowl with mayo, cream or oil of choice. Add in seasonings to desired taste. Chill until ready to be served- (can garnish with fresh dill sprigs.)

*blending nutrient~dense leafy greens with antioxidant and water~rich fruits into a ‘green smoothie’ is an easy and incredible way to boost your health and vitality…

Purslane & Plum Smoothie

• 1 head of red leaf lettuce
  • 1 bunch chard leaves
  • 2 cups purslane, washed
  • 4 black or red plums, pits removed
  • 1 cup mixed berries
  • 1/2 avocado
  • stevia, to taste

Add just enough water to blend until smooth & Enjoy!

http://www.organiclifestylemagazine.com/purslane-recipes/

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2012 at 09:23
Thanks Alani, I don't know about the rest of the world, but here in NJ that's a plant that grows any and everywhere, highly nutritious and tasty.  People here spend a lot of cash to get rid of it, I say, eat it, it's cheaper than weed killer.

Post Reply Post Reply