Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greco-Bactrian Kingdom

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Carthago View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Carthago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greco-Bactrian Kingdom
    Posted: 14-Apr-2010 at 12:47
I am looking for information on the Greco-Bactrian kingdoms as I plan on running a roleplaying game using a modified version of the Chronica Feudalis rules.

Wikipedia & the general internet have some info but that's a little thin. The only textbooks I can find are acedemic works for £75 a pop! A little too expensive.

I would be most interested in the cultural, religious and political info for the Kingdoms if available.

If anyone could provide information or point me in the right direction I would be most grateful.

Thnx

Carthago
TheGreatSimba View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2010 at 15:18
Encyclopaedia Iranica is one of the most reliable and reputable sources regarding Middle Eastern and Central Asia history:

http://www.iranica.com/articles/bactria
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2010 at 20:09
What does the Center for Iranian studies in Canada have to do with Encyclopaedia Iranica, a project which was started in 1973 and is based at Columbia University?

The article which Opuslola posted is talking about another Center for Iranian Studies (There are many, Tel Aviv university even has one, ITS A COMMON NAME USED), not the one affiliated with Columbia University and founded in 1968 by Professor Ehsan Yarshater.

From the website:

Encyclopædia Iranica is a project of Columbia University and is prepared at its Center for Iranian Studies. For over two decades it has been supported chiefly by the National Endowment for the Humanities, an independent Federal agency, which has classified the Encyclopædia Iranica as a "major project". However, in order to realize the full operating budget, the project is required to raise a third to half of its annual budget from other sources. Several institutions and individuals have assisted through private contributions. The need however is ever-present, and all who value the completion of the Encyclopaedia should consider assisting it with their donations.

Also note that there is no Iranian embassy in the United States and Iran does not fund such projects in the United States.

Get your facts straight, both of you. Does no one care about fact checking anymore? I would expect such a post from Opuslola, but you cavalry?

Edited by TheGreatSimba - 16-Apr-2010 at 20:12
cavalry4ever View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Retired AE Moderator Emeritus

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2010 at 07:19
TGS - you are right. It was a mistake from my part and I should be more careful. My apology. Problem here was a commonality of the name used. To prevent confusion about legitimate project I am going to archive both posts so people looking at this thread don't get confused about a great and serious project you mention above -  Encyclopaedia Iranica.

Edited by cavalry4ever - 17-Apr-2010 at 07:30
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2010 at 08:44
Thank you cavalry. Encyclopaedia Iranica is one of the most, if not the most, reputable and reliable sources on Near Easter and Central Asian history. It has contributors from experts and scholars from all over the globe and from all nationalities and backgrounds. Its an amazing source and contains information about all aspects of Near Eastern and Central Asia history and culture, and is not even limited to the history of the Iranic peoples, but all peoples relating to their history from Europe to China.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2010 at 17:56
If,I also made the above mistake, then I also apologize! But, I am not yet sure that I made a mistake?

Prove it? Please!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
cavalry4ever View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Retired AE Moderator Emeritus

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2010 at 18:59
This is the link:

http://www.iranica.com/pages/about

Edited by cavalry4ever - 18-Apr-2010 at 19:00
Carthago View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Carthago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2010 at 12:03
Thanks for the Link.

Some new info there, very usefull.
 Post Reply Post Reply