Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mormon Growth rate / retention

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mormon Growth rate / retention
    Posted: 20-Feb-2010 at 06:20
Originally posted by opuslola

I would certainly argue that the "CJCLDS", which is my abbreviation for the "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints", is but an "Isolated sect!" Certainly in numbers this "sect" is not "Isolated" but an accepted part of most communities across the USA! They, in fact, actually control one state of the USA in particular!

Relative the the population of the USA, Mormonism is isolated.  Mormonism and the Baptist revival movement in North Carolina occurred at the same time. Early Baptist leaders did not violate cultural / religious norms and evangelical based faiths have enjoyed sweeping success. It has become the dominant religous expression in the USA (or is a close second to Catholicism).

In contrast, Mormonism has never acheived the spectacular growth that their early leaders forecasted (they forecasted the USA becoming a Mormon theocracy). Instead, Mormonism was forced to a remote area (Utah) and remained there for decades. Even recent growth has been slow. Mormon leaders have acknowledged that creative accounting and creative use of terms has led to significant exaggerations in the numbers of true converts.

Edited by Cryptic - 20-Feb-2010 at 06:23
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2010 at 15:25
My dear Cryptic, I can only quote numbers, and as I remember them, the CJCLDS is credited with about six million members! Even if somewhat exagerated this is a number that surpasses many more well known and older sects, etc., especially as regards recent growth!

So consider this site?

http://www.adherents.com/rel_USA.html#families

But, of course I could be wrong?

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2010 at 16:18

My dear Cryptic, I can only quote numbers, and as I remember them, the CJCLDS is credited with about six million members! Even if somewhat exagerated this is a number that surpasses many more well known and older sects, etc., especially as regards recent growth!

Here is a Mormon source stating that true growth rates have been "wildly overstated" and that convert retention rate is very low.

An article out of Salt Lake City also reporting that the true growth rate has been significantly overstated.

In my opinion, the reasons for the wild over statements are:
1.) Successful missionaries are given alot of social prestige in the Mormon Church. This has led to individual missionaries or the directors of missionary efforts using stretched definitions of "convert" to increase their scores. 
2.) The intensive door to door missionary efforts attract converts who join due to either pressure or to resolve personal issues.  They then leave once the pressure ends or their problems have been resolved.
3.) Mormon internal prophecy forecasts spectacular growth.  So it must be happening....right?

I have seen other statistics showing a 20% retention rate for Brazillian converts and a 10% retention rate for Russians. Both of these figures are "at best estimates".  The true numbers retained are probably even lower. The Mormon church, however, has claimed the full 100% figures in past counts.

Edited by Cryptic - 20-Feb-2010 at 18:13
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2010 at 17:52
So, senior Cryptic, then at a minimum you would possibly agree that at least three million Americans (NA) are members? In any count that number does not make them a "Isolated sect!"

In most any settled area of the USA, you will be able to find an LDS center, to at the least, do family research!

No! You have to admit that the words "Isolated sect" does no good as a method to demean this religious group!

But, of course, I am sure you have a much different opinion?

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 20-Feb-2010 at 17:54
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2010 at 18:03

So, senior Cryptic, then at a minimum you would possibly agree that at least three million Americans (NA) are members? In any count that number does not make them a "Isolated sect!"

I was using the term "isolated sect" in the historical context. Mormonism was forced to a remote state and did remain there until recent decades.  Yes, you are correct, Mormonism has become more acceptable in the last fifty years. Also, 3 million is one percent of the U.S. population.

No! You have to admit that the words "Isolated sect" does no good as a method to demean this religious group!
I did not mean to demean Mormonism. I am interested in Mormonism as a part of U.S. history. I have nothing for or against Mormon theology.  

Edited by Cryptic - 20-Feb-2010 at 18:10
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2010 at 14:44
I am sorry, the word "demean" was an incorrect choice! But, according to my site posted above, even at 3m members, it still out shines many much older and longer established religions in the USA!

By the way, I do not, and have not, ever considered "real Baptists" as a part of the group known as "Protestants!" This group, has no ties at all to the "reformation" or Luther, etc.! Ana-baptists, and Cathar, Yes! Protestants, under the popular definition, NO!

Oh! The CJCLDS also falls far out of the definition!

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 21-Feb-2010 at 20:09
 Post Reply Post Reply