Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Imperial Glory or Cossacks II

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which one do think is better?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
15 [65.22%]
8 [34.78%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Imperial Glory or Cossacks II
    Posted: 28-Mar-2005 at 15:16

I think Imperial Glory will be better, how about you guys?

And if you can't decide here are 2 sites for the games:
http://www.eidosinteractive.com/gss/legacy/imperial/main.htm - Imperial Glory
http://www.cossacks2.de/index.php?m=news&lang=us - Cossacks II

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 15:43
Cossacks II easily, the unit lineup of Imperial Glory is a joke, and Praetorians already did suck a lot. Cossacks II may lack the graphics and naval warfare(probably), it'll offer a bigger number of units and more tactical options.

Edited by Temujin
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 16:08
I loved Praetorians.  But what do you mean the unit lineup?  I'll go with Imperial Glory because I can't stand Cossacks graphics.  Plus the naval battle in Imperial Glory.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 16:26
all units in IG look the same, no matter what nation, they just have different names, whereas C2 has more untis per nation and they differ in look and combat stats.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 16:42
That's true, but isn't it more accurate that all the units are really the same and look the same just with different names.  And we haven't even seen stats for the units.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2005 at 15:11

got myself Cossacks 2 today...

well, so far so good, at first i had problems getting into the game, which isn't easy since compared to Cossacks 1 there or a lot of major change, i've skipped American Conquest so the game appeared much more alien to me than maybe for others. there's no real tutorial, only two missions to learn movement and combat, nothing about economy, btu economy has eben greatly simplicized, isntead of building mines, they're pre-set on the map and you start with some but can conquer "neutral" ones guarded my militias on the map, wood and stone is still the same (the militias respawn on your side). then there are streets which improve the speed and loss of stamina when moving, but since the new maps are all rather smallish it's like moving your troops with a train...

other new features is morale (similar to total war series, but they dont flee the map, instead they just return to your base), and flanking manoevers/defensive formations (that now give much bigger bonuses) but especially shooting ranges, it really makes a difference now if you shoot already at maximum range or let them come close...

national differences are (in my opinion) surprisingly large, all nations I've  played so far were very different, the were:

France: biggest unit lineup, they have for infantry: Chasseurs, Line Voltigeurs, Nationalguard (Fusilier?), Fusiliers and Grenadiers (maybe one more). cavalry: Chasseurs a Cheval, Hussars, Lanciers (Polish uniforms), Dragoons, Cuirassiers, Carabiniers a Cheval, Mamelukes and Grenadiers a Cheval. the onyl negatvie thing i foudn about them is that their buildigns are too large, which is quite a difficulty considdering the small maps.

Russia: infantry: Jger, Opoltchenyie (peasant militia, armed with just a pike inaccurately!!!!) Musketeer and Grenadier. as i've experimented with the economy a bit more i had few units until the enemy curshed me, no idea what cavalry they have. also, they apparently have an economy problem anyways as i couldn't even build enough opoltchenyie with the food i had, then i noticed they get the officer for formations right from the beginnign whereas other nations ahve to build the academy first...

England: tutorial nation, after my first two lost games i descided to go for the tutorial, the only units i saw were Grenadiers, Musketeers and Highlanders, no idea what other units they have.

Prussia: infantry: Jger, Musketeer, Grenadier and a so called "black corps infantry" which is apparently thought to be the infantry of the Freikorps of Ltzow, but they look like the Black Brunswickers... cavalry: mounted chasseurs (wtf???), Hussars, Dragoons, Cuirassiers (without cuirass) adn Garde du Corps. all units except for the Black corps and the mounted chasseur fantasy unit have the uniforms of 1806, unlike most other nations that have the uniforms of 1812. actually i pretty much liked the prussians as they have a cheap stable and so i was able to produce cavalry right from the start.

egypt: didn't played it, and actualyl not really the intention to, btu i foguth them in my first 2 games, their basic untis are a swordfighter unit somewhat similar to the Russian Opoltchenie in performance btu without any historical base, the light infantry unit (which is faster than the normal unit and smaller in unit size) that looks liek a Bedouin which mgiht be an half-way accurate unit and a line infantry unit that looks like the Nizam-i-Jedid.

more later, so far i've not descided yet if i really like it, too much new stuff...

Edited by Temujin
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2005 at 21:01
Temujin semi-pleased with a game? I must get this!
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2005 at 10:25

I believe that cossacks II outruns IE every way cause the unit numbers, (i believe there can be over 50K no on the map...) and so on... and i think there were liek 18 civilizations.

http://cossacks.heavengames.com/gallery/screen2/aej

Edited by rider
 Post Reply Post Reply