Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Book Recomendantions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RED GUARD View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote RED GUARD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Book Recomendantions
    Posted: 25-Mar-2005 at 17:57
        Post your favourite books here and recommend them to the users of All Empires.
Quotes by your's turly:

"I came, I saw, and I conquered... but only for the weekend"

"This is my tank, this is my weapon, and this is my pride."

"Power comes from a barrel of a gun."

Le Renard View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Le Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 18:21

Robert Ludlum is a good Author

Bourne Trilogy is really good

"History repeats itself because nobody listened the first time."
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 12:38

Hi;

Several books, rated 3 Es: Exciting, Exotic, Educative:

THE SOURCE, by JAMES MICHENER;>>>In The Source, in his signature style of grand storytelling, James Michener sweeps us back through time to the Holy Land, thousands of years ago. By exploring the lives and discoveries of modern archaeologists excavating the site of Tell Makor, James Michener vividly re-creates life in and around an ancient city during critical periods of its existence, and traces the profound history of the Jews, including that of the early Hebrews and their persecution, the impact of Christianity on the Jewish... more info>> <<<

THE HORSEMAN, by KRISTINA O'DONNELLY: >>>What Price for Love That Defies Time? Would you pledge your soul for eternity? The Horseman is the critically acclaimed lead novel of the Lands of the Morning Quintet, a series of five exotic, internationally plotted novels. Revolving around a dynamic American heroine, The Horseman is a gripping, epic tale of intense passion, politics, spirituality, esoterica, as well as the roots of the current upheavals between the Turks and the Kurds. Complete with magnificent and diverse settings from Turkey... more info>> <<<

NIGHTS OF RAINS AND STARS, by MAEVE BINCHY: >>>eBook Category: Mainstream
eBook Description: Four strangers, with nothing in common but a need to escape, meet in a Greek taverna high above the small village of Aghia Anna. From Ireland, America, Germany and England, they have each left their homes and their old lives, when a shocking tragedy throws them unexpectedly together. Fiona is a young nurse, trying to make her family understand her need to follow her own path. Thomas desperately misses his young son and fears that his ex-wife will come between them. Elsa abruptly left her career as a television presenter, but someone from her past refuses to let her go. And shy, quiet David is determined to make a stand against his overbearing father. With these four is Andreas, the taverna owner, who badly misses the son who left home nine years ago and has never returned. Nights of Rain and Stars is the story of one summer and four people, each with a life in turmoil. With the help of Vonnie, a middle-aged Irishwoman who lives in the village and is now a near-native, they find solutions--though not necessarily the ones they anticipated... <<,

Slainte!

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2005 at 20:30
The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan=all you will ever need.
giani_82 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote giani_82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2005 at 08:17

Any book by Lev Gumilev that covers the early Russian history and it's contact with the Turkic tribes that inhabited the Steppe.

The tale of Yosh*tsune covers the life of Minamoto no Yosh*tsune who brought the victory for his clan in the struggle against the Taira clan during the Gempei War (1180-1185).

Taiko  by Eiji Yoshikawa gives a fair speculation of what the life of the great general Toyotomi Hideyoshi might have been who rose from the ashigaru ranks to just one step below the highest military title - shogun, which he could not achieve due to his lower social status.

Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2005 at 18:59
The Gunslinger by Stephen King. Try to find the first edition, and not the new, altered, one.
Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
Le Renard View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Le Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2005 at 16:53

Originally posted by The Ultimate Strategist

Those are good books

"History repeats itself because nobody listened the first time."
Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2005 at 03:33

My Favourites are Charoits of the Gods  &  Gold of the Gods

by Erish von Dicken

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2005 at 04:41
Originally posted by Land of Aryan

My Favourites are Charoits of the Gods  &  Gold of the Gods

by Erish von Dicken

Not dicken, Daniken...

taylor21 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote taylor21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2005 at 12:01

(this may belong in asian history) but ive read the romance of the three kingdoms and i highly recomend it for a good read(i oinly have the second half but i went along and read it anyway.Very good. also, if you like feudal japan the book Shogun is very good. but ive forgoten the name of the author regrettfully

Taylor.K
taylor21 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote taylor21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2005 at 12:02

Sorry about the grammar mistakes im short on time!

Taylor.K
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2005 at 06:42

I highly recommend:

The Da Vinci Code - it's the modern day phenomenon that everybody must read!

Fight Club - funny and provacative

Animal Farm - Orwell's personification of the animals is brilliant.

1984 - classic apocalyptic tale

To Kill a Mockingbird - an outstanding modern classic

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - a cult classic

Brave New World - one of my personal favourites, kudos to Huxley for the fairly 'prophetic' nature of the novel.

A Vindication of a Woman's Right - it's every feminist's bible!

Dragon View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2005 at 01:46

James Clavell was the author of Shogun, mentioned in an earlier post.  This is an excellent book, although the 1200 pages may be a bit intimidating for some.  Its also available in a mini-series, but like most film productions it doesn't even come close to doing Clavell's original book justice.  Clavell wrote several books set in Asia, both contemporary and historical.

History is the study of the past that we may understand the present.
mord View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote mord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2005 at 10:55

This is NOT a question to ask a librarian with a history degree (namely me).  Oy! and oy, again!

I'll try to be quick by just sticking to the 20th century:

James Joyce: "Dubliners" "Portrait of the Artist as Young Man."

Lenin: "What is to be done?" "Imperialism: the Highest Stage of Capitalism."

F. Scott Fitzgerald: "The Great Gatzby"

Orwell: "Down and Out in Paris and London"  "Hommage to Catalonia"

Allan Ginzberg: "Howl" "Kaddish" "Cosmopolitan Greetings"

"The Gulag Archipeligo"  (all of it), "One day in the life of Ivan Desanovich"

"Slaugterhouse Five"

"Inside the Third Riech"

"Fear and Loathing: On the campaign Trail 1972"

"The Once and Furture King"

"The Lord of the Rings"

Robert Parker's "Spencer" books.

That's all for now...gotta get back to work...

Mord.

errr...left turn at vinland?
Toast View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Toast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2005 at 04:26
Lets see...

The Sinner by Tess Gerritsen
From a Buick 8 by Stephen King
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
True Believer by Nicholas Sparks
Everything's Eventual by Stephen King
The Dark Half by Stephen King
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2005 at 05:21
"Jitterbug Perfume" and "Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates" by Tom Robbins.
Enjoyable reading.
CARRY NOTHING
Stewart View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Stewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 05:47

I shall heartily recommend the following:

The Name of the Rose - Umberto Eco

Foucault's Pendulum - Umberto Eco

Baudolino - Umberto Eco

The Island of the Day Before - Umberto Eco

The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana - Umberto Eco

if on a winter's night a traveler - Italo Calvino

Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides

The Crimson Petal & The White - Michael Faber

The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro

You could argue, really, that anything with a bit of history about it that is not Dan Brown is worth reading. Of course, sometimes it's not the history that's important, it's the writing and the way the writer makes use of words, and these books are exceptional in this regard.

Edited by Stewart
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2005 at 12:39
Originally posted by The Ultimate Strategist

Eck... the first four were good, but then the rest grew progressively worse. I never thought that so many pages could go by without anything happening.

The Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin is the best fantasy saga of the past few decades.

Edited by Belisarius
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2005 at 15:47
Originally posted by Degredado

The Gunslinger by Stephen King. Try to find the first edition, and not the new, altered, one.

I read that book during my Doors phase, so now, when ever i think of or am reminded of that book, the tune to The End plays in my head

also, if you like feudal japan the book Shogun is very good. but ive forgoten the name of the author regrettfully

James Clavell.
Personaly i liked King Rat more, not sure why.
Arrrgh!!"
 Post Reply Post Reply