Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Its soo Hot here

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Its soo Hot here
    Posted: 08-Feb-2009 at 20:17
Originally posted by cahaya

Very terrible.. were they managed to stop the fire?
Not yet, there is more than one fire, the size of our country  is such we have a hard time imaging the scale.

108 dead and the figure is growing
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2009 at 21:57
It reminds me of the fires in  the Peloponnese , with 60 dead and entire villages burnt. I hope the Australian government is not that incompetent as the Greek one in dealing with disasters.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2009 at 23:07
Originally posted by edgewaters

Originally posted by Constantine XI

Last night we went out clubbing. It was fan-tabulous. Before that a girl at the pre-party was checking through her friends' facebook pictures in her home town (which has been subjected to extreme bush fire offensives). The local petrol station had been hit and it exploded, destroying the surrounding two blocs of buildings including a school. One picture after another illustrated the destroyed homes, vehicles, livestock and lives in a way words never could. She was bawling her eyes out.

At the club it got worse, a friend of mine just found out his entire stock of memorabilia from his youth had been turned to ashes when the home he was born in was engulfed in flames. All his photos, sports trophies, school reports - everything all turned to black waste.

Being a person who's always felt almost as sentimental about places and things as I do about people, this sounds like a nightmare. 

A very common one here.
If all of his family got out unhurt then he was lucky. We have a breifcase with out important documents in it; if there is a fire just grab that and go. Too many people don't know how to deal with fire, one lady who was killed in her car had all the crockery in the back. That's not something that you just throw in, the time she spent packing her fine china probably cost her life.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2009 at 00:13
Any chance of rain?
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2009 at 00:17
Originally posted by Sparten

Any chance of rain?

In Britain?  Big smile

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2009 at 00:40
Originally posted by Sparten

Any chance of rain?

The January just gone saw an average rainfall for the state of Victoria of 0.8 of one mililitre of rain. This has made conditions in much of Victoria ideal for fire storms. Not to mention we had our hottest week in exactly 100 years. Victoria is the Australian state most severely affected by the fires right now, with some of it affecting New South Wales.

It is difficult to really imagine how bad it is for people in these conditions. The eucalyptus trees, which are so very common in Australia, produce eucalyptus fumes which burn like petrol. Forest fires can rage through the air many 10s of metres above the trees due to these fumes. The fire advances quickly, as quickly as 60 miles an hour. The strong winds carry burning embers through the air which quickly engulf all of the dry vegetation in front of them and then spread further. That kangaroo was lucky to get out with singed fur, the vast bulk of our animals simply are not fast enough to outrun the surging wall of flames.

108 are the worst casualties Australia has suffered in I don't know how long. I try to think of the last time this many Australians died in a single tragedy, I just can't. The bombing of Darwin in WWII perhaps? Pehaps at some point one of our navy ships sank with large loss of life?

It is hard for people to understand how dangerous these fires are until it is too late for them. The sheer scale of the flames mean that the fire sucks in vast amounts of air from surrounding areas, creating a vacuum. People jump into their cars thinking that they can still drive away, only to realise that there is no air available and their car's carberator (sic?) will not work.

People are of course reluctant to leave their homes, and wish to defend their properties against the fire front for as long as possible. But sometimes they stay longer than they should, because they do not realise how little time they have left before things get fatal. Often the radiant heat from the massive fire front is enough to simply destroy their bodies before the smoke or flames are close enough to do their damage.

Federal Parliament has been suspended out of respect for the huge losses, and the government has been quick to organise relief services. The volunteer firefighters are doing a heroic job, and we wish them the best luck in the world in beating this thing.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2009 at 02:32
Originally posted by Constantine XI

People are of course reluctant to leave their homes, and wish to defend their properties against the fire front for as long as possible. But sometimes they stay longer than they should, because they do not realise how little time they have left before things get fatal. Often the radiant heat from the massive fire front is enough to simply destroy their bodies before the smoke or flames are close enough to do their damage.

Good post as usual well written. Our Euclypts are particulary dangerous, the winds were that great it took literally minutes for these fire storms to pass through a house, you can see burnt out cars where people treid to escape.

on the heat intensity
A University of Melbourne senior lecturer in fire ecology and management, Kevin Tolhurst, said the radiant heat - the heat given off by the fires - would itself have been enough to kill. "When it gets close, you have enormous radiation loads."

The "survivability" distance of Saturday's heat was about four times their height - a 35-metre high fire would directly imperil those within 140 metres.

here is a feel for the scale

• Victoria Police had confirmed 130+ people dead, while the CFA said more than 100 people were still unaccounted for.
  • Up to 700 homes and 340,000ha of land were destroyed.
  • More than 3730 people had registered with the Red Cross as having left their properties and the total homeless figure is expected to be much higher.

Edited by Leonidas - 09-Feb-2009 at 07:59
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2009 at 08:51
Bear with me if this has already been mentioned, but the latest news reports here state the fires are now believed to have been instigated.
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2009 at 10:41
Arson is considered one possibility. Lightning strikes, at this stage, are considered to have been responsible for a greater share of the fires.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2009 at 20:52
Originally posted by Leonidas

its worse than ash Wednesday 85 dead and counting, the fires are not out, over 200,000 ha burnt so far.aftermathhe entire town of Marysville in the Yarra Valley has been wiped outthese things get hired every seasonyou need to be as fast as this to get out with singed fur

wow - intense
Not too long ago California was like that but they have a lot more people than Australia- I think 36 million in the state today. It is strange how in southern Arizona the cool time of year is the dry time and fire season and in the summer, with the Monsoons, it is very green but very hot and humid. I prefer -17 below F. but dry than 120 F. and high humidity. I also do not like wet cold like Athens, Greece in the winter or San Franciso, CA. I thought Athens was a wet bone chlling cold.

By sunhorseflower on Flickr
Green like Ireland in the summer. I will look forward to the green but not the heat and humidity.

By azrdwarr on Flickr
Another worry besides heat is the extreme lightning storms here during the monsoons.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Voskhod View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Voskhod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2009 at 11:36
The fires aren't really that far from Melbourne, either. Healesville and Cranbourne aren't exactly the outback.

This is very tragic indeed. We had a little meeting at school today on raising money for bushfire victims. Just doing our bit to help out.
"All the true heroes of history will be forgotten and all the villains will be remembered as heroes."
- Leo Tolstoy
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2009 at 11:45
Originally posted by Voskhod

The fires aren't really that far from Melbourne, either. Healesville and Cranbourne aren't exactly the outback.

This is very tragic indeed. We had a little meeting at school today on raising money for bushfire victims. Just doing our bit to help out.

Correct. The fires are not all that far from the fringes of the metropolitan region. A friend of mine in Warrandyte is barely 7 minutes from the firefront, and has already evacuated her home.

I don't expect the fires to seriously threaten the inner suburbs. If they do, I have planned what I need to take with me. I will load it on my back and quick march to Port Phillip Bay (hopefully getting a lift on the way), the fires can at least be checked at the ocean.

But again, I don't expect that to occur. The weather this week is much more temperate and I think the worst is over.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2009 at 09:14
Two have now been arrested in connection with the fires. If they are in fact proven to have contributed to the fires with arson, I wonder what kind of future they can expect in Australia.

Edited by Reginmund - 12-Feb-2009 at 11:21
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2009 at 10:26
there talking of bringing murder charges down on any one convicted.

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2009 at 11:55

there talking of bringing murder charges down on any one convicted.

I support such a move. The sheer scale of death warrants it, and people must be held accountable for actions whose consequences they could reasonably forsee.

The method of murder might not have been as up close and personal as being blown away at point blank range with a shotgun, but the deaths it did inflict would have been far more awful in every way that mattered to the victim.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2009 at 14:00
Apparently the two have been released now, no charges pressed.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2009 at 19:10
I remember in one of our states a forest service fire fighter was starting fires on purpose and she was eventually caught. I cannot recall if anyone died as a result of the fires but there was a lot of property damage. Does anyone recall this case and what state was it in? I know California was hit really hard by fires this year so I think the Australian can relate to Californians. I wonder if any American fire fighters have volunteered service in Australia?
We still have a drought in many western States like Arizona and I hear the fire season has not started yet.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 09:55
I am not surprised eaglecap, there has been links between fire bugs and firemen. Maybe, like a crooked cop, there the attraction to the problem as much as the job.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2009 at 19:11

I am not surprised eaglecap, there has been links between fire bugs and firemen. Maybe, like a crooked cop, there the attraction to the problem as much as the job.

Yes that is very sad but some people have issues and no honor. I do not know much about Australian ecology, except for what I have seen in documentaries. Is Australia a fire ecology like California or the western half of North America, probably the whole continent?

My friend lives north of Spokane, sort of in the country, but his small development of a few hundred homes has a lot of 80 to 100 foot tall ponderosa pines. This area is a natural fire ecology so when the conditions are right and a good wind all those homes will go bye bye. I do not want to see this but it is reality. He is a fireman and agreed with me. My new area in Arizona is very dry now but it is cool so I do not worry about fires yet.

Edited by eaglecap - 14-Feb-2009 at 19:12
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123