Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Arabic influence on Persian poetry?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
arze View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote arze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arabic influence on Persian poetry?
    Posted: 01-Feb-2009 at 18:22
What influence did Arabic have on Persian poetry? We see many great persian muslim poets coming in the middle ages. I heard even Shakespeare himself was influenced by Rumi. But what is the contribution of Arabic on persian literature?

Edited by arze - 01-Feb-2009 at 18:23
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2009 at 19:11
If you exclude Quran it would be almost non.
Anfører
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2009 at 19:18
Meter, style, genere etc.

Except for epic poetry Persian poetry is Arabic poetry in another language.

AL-Jassas
Pomak View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Pomak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2009 at 21:34
Are you joking Suren??? Without the influence of Arabic (and before Aramaic) Persian would be like a bird without wings.

Edited by Pomak - 01-Feb-2009 at 21:49
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2009 at 22:13
Originally posted by Pomak

Are you joking Suren??? Without the influence of Arabic (and before Aramaic) Persian would be like a bird without wings.
I bet it is the other way around
Anfører
arze View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote arze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2009 at 22:31

common people can i have better constructive answers?

Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2009 at 06:31
Originally posted by arze

What influence did Arabic have on Persian poetry? We see many great persian muslim poets coming in the middle ages. I heard even Shakespeare himself was influenced by Rumi. But what is the contribution of Arabic on persian literature?

Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2009 at 06:32

Which specific Arabic poetry are you referring to? Can you give a few examples of Arab poets whose work you have read?

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2009 at 11:10
Originally posted by Miller

Which specific Arabic poetry are you referring to? Can you give a few examples of Arab poets whose work you have read?

he did not talk about Arabic Poetry. therefore he did not refere to Arabic poetry

Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2009 at 13:11
At least one half of Modern Persian words have Arabic origins and I think there is almost no doubt that some poetic forms such as Ghazal, Qasida, .. came from pre-Islamic Arabs.
 Post Reply Post Reply