Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sumeria Older Than Ancient Egypt??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Dacian View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dacian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sumeria Older Than Ancient Egypt??
    Posted: 24-Mar-2009 at 22:34
yes certainly I agree it was born out of necessity but when they went to the "farming" stage they were not nomadic anymore

i didnt say they went from hunter-gathering to farming in 1 night but the more farming proved to be an easier and proficient way then hunting and gathering

to be a farmer you definetaly need to be sedentary is what I'm saying so I'm a bit lost here why do we not agree when it seems we are agreeing :D

sry I am at work so it most likely is my fault but please point it out (as in bold for stupid :D)

Vorian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Vorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2009 at 22:49
I think that what you try to say is that they first found a primitive way to grow crops and then settled cause farming seemed easier than migrating and hunting, while me and Paul think that they first settled in resource rich areas (fish, animals, edible fruit) and then when those resources were rduced, out of necessity they invented farming.
Dacian View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Dacian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2009 at 23:08
hmmm...nope...I totally agree with what you say

first was the hunting-gathering and then farming was 'invented' and became an alternative which little by little replaced the old hunting gathering ways

farming became the alternative but for sure things coexisted for quite a while generating a mix of nomadic and sedentary lifestyle....
they stayed more time in a place and moved more rarely the more succesful farming become in their perception

probably the first farmers where the wounded hunters, or the part of the family that stayed "home" untill the hunting party came back, or maybe it came from the ones responsable with the gathering of plants, seeds, fruits that grew in the wild...its only speculation here for sure

the conditional order I am for reads:
the insuficiency of the resources generated by hunting-gathering > triggered> developement of farming > which triggered > the change of lifestyle to sedentary

the need is the engine of invention and change

I am against the ideea that farming can be done succesfuly by nomadic comunities...for sure it was done but only for the transition time from nomadic>sedentary generated by the transition from hunting-gathering>farming as a more advantageous way to live
(through advantageous one should read least net effort for net result)

hope that clears it

Megalilly View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Megalilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2009 at 13:34
Aksum & Co.

I am extremely impressed by this discussion and the depth put into the responses by everyone.  I would be greatly interested in similar discussions that you participate in the future, especially when touching upon the idea of an advanced civilization - pre-Neolithic or theories on lost civilizations or myths of such (Atlantis).  If you do start another forum on the oldest Ancient civilizations, please do (I'm sorry, I know you are busy) me a note over at CyberMdMail@gmail.com, so I do not miss out on your amazing takes!

Thank you all for this discussion.  I was hungry & somewhat calmed (though still hungry) by this topic.Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123