Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Yemaya: African godness in the Americas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yemaya: African godness in the Americas
    Posted: 14-Dec-2008 at 00:36

The cult of Yemanja (Portuguese) or Yemaya (Spanish) is very popular in Cuba, Uruguay and Brazil. Yemaya is the godness of the Sea in Yoruba religion, and become a very important figure in folk religions on those countries above mentioned.

The cult of Yemaya was brought with the slaves to Cuba and Brazil of Yoruba culture, and there become part of the standard believe among all the population. It is so important that still today in Rio, the festivity of Yemanja is celebrated in Rio at New Year's eve. In Cuba, the immigrants that risk theirs lives on rafts to reach Florida leave while while people chant songs to Yemaya.

Pictures:

Westernized folk image of Yemanja:

artistic vision of Yemanja:

Rio New Year's celebration

From Cuba:

And a dance to Yemaya on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYxjiYlbFiU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewgzMbzVxfo&feature=related

Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2008 at 10:46
Thanks for this one Penguin.

Btw, Yemaya is big in many more countries than just the ones mentioned. She's one of the Orishas and is basically popular in every country where the religion of the Yorubas exist (mainly the caribbean).

Here's one of my favorite salsa songs that starts with a chant to Yemaya: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3OGsqHRjxQ

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2008 at 12:12
Yes, Yemana is very popular in the Caribbean, but also in Brazil and Uruguay. In the rest of the Latin American countries Yemaya is really unknown, because in places like Mexico, Central America, the Andes and the Southern Cone, the Yoruba religion doesn't exist. There, our folk religions are Indigenous. For instance, I just discovered Yemaya a couple of years ago. 

I don't know if Yemaya is popular Haiti or in the english-speaking Caribbean, or if it is known in the Southern United States. That would be interesting to know.

In any case, since I discovered her, the Yemaya figure has fascinated me very much.

Here you have Celia Cruz singing to the Virgin of Regla, the syncretic figure of Yemaya:

If I am not wrong Celia is singing in Yoruba, because most of what she sing isn't Spanish. However, you listen very clearly "Yemaya" and "Virgin of Regla"

Edited by pinguin - 14-Dec-2008 at 12:20
Bandeirante View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Bandeirante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2008 at 18:12
Iemanjá !
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2008 at 18:41
Pinguin...
Why don't you make a whole thread about all the Orishas? I think it is a subject that does not have a presence in AE. Maybe in the religion sub-forum though.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2008 at 20:04
Originally posted by Flipper

Pinguin...
Why don't you make a whole thread about all the Orishas? I think it is a subject that does not have a presence in AE. Maybe in the religion sub-forum though.

Because I am not an expert on the topic. If you are, I invite you to do it. The best place is the African section of the AE forum. There you could open a thread about Yoruba culture, music and the Orishas.

I put the topic of Yemaya on the Americas' section, because that godness is important for Cuba, Brazil and other countries of the Caribbean; however, that godness is an immigrant to the New World and the Oshiras are foreigner as much as any other religion carried to the New World by Europeans or Asians. The Orishas are part of the culture of Africa as much as Buddism belong to Asia, Christianism to Europe and Islamism to the Middle East. So, please, open the topic there and the rest of us will follow you.

Edited by pinguin - 14-Dec-2008 at 20:07
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2008 at 20:05
Originally posted by Bandeirante

Iemanjá !

Yes, Bandeirante, it is Yemaya LOLLOL
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2008 at 21:03
I'm not an expert eather, even though i have had a good look on it in the past. I know people that could provide basically everything on the subject but i feel i can't bother them to write an extensive review like we like it here. In the future maybe i will be able to do something. We'll see.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 00:04
Originally posted by Flipper

I'm not an expert eather, even though i have had a good look on it in the past. I know people that could provide basically everything on the subject but i feel i can't bother them to write an extensive review like we like it here. In the future maybe i will be able to do something. We'll see.

Hey Flipper. Don't be shy. Just open a thread in the subject and the rest will follow and complement the information. That's the idea. In my case, I'm not an expert on the topic, and the only Orisha that I really know is Yemaya. Why? Because in Latin America is almost impossible to ignore her LOL.
For instance, a good introduction to the Orishas could call the attention to everyone in the site. Just go for it.
 Post Reply Post Reply