Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Medieval inventions or ???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Medieval inventions or ???
    Posted: 17-Dec-2008 at 17:38
I am sorry once again about not being on this and with the short time I have here I should really only focus on this one.
All of these ideas are great!!
I wonder if gun powder was introduced to Europeans by Marco Polo or if it hsd been known about ealier? If not- then who introduced it to the west or even the Middle East?

How, what, where, how, when and why; gun powder was introduced to the west could be the start of a thesis.

who introduced it
When
How did the west untilize it???
ect
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2009 at 15:58
I do now one thing. Salt-petre became so valuable that cargos of it were hidden and disguised as ballast, secretely unloaded and stored for the manufacture of gun powder.

I would suggest some investigation to weapons sometimes referred to variously in ancient and medieval documents as "missiles", "darts", etc. Just what weapons fired such things? Guns?, cross-bows?,or what? For some very famous personages it seems "millstones" or "tiles" or "crockery" were very deadly!

Also, by the way, in certain paintings / etchings, etc. from the past, we sometimes see either one or two windmills, or sometimes large groups of them! Some times they are located on the top of hills, and other times at sea ports! I understand thier use in grinding grains, and pumping water, etc., but just what other uses could they have? For example could they have powered winches? Could windpower have raised and lowered the great chains that are either seen in paintings, etc., or mentioned in literature as protecting harbors?
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123