Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

the capture of Constantinople by Emmanuel Goergill

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the capture of Constantinople by Emmanuel Goergill
    Posted: 22-Oct-2008 at 19:26
Does anyone know of a English translation for a long lament or poem on the capture of Constantinople by Emmanuel Goergillas? I tried looking it up on the internet but no luck. I will try on abstracts at the public library but won't hold my breath. If you know of a translation in English please PM it to Byzantine Emperor and he can email it to me.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2008 at 21:54
His name is Emmanuel Georgillas Limenites.

Here are four verses and if I'm not mistaken also the edition they were taken from (though I have no idea where you can get it):

A summary of what this poem says you can find in Donald M. Nicol's The Immortal Emperor. 
I have the book in Romanian, but I found it online too:

Edited by Chilbudios - 22-Oct-2008 at 22:06
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2008 at 22:51
Emmanuil Georgillas is considered to be a mediocre Rodian poet. Still his writting are interesting as they bring us back to the spirit of these days and the relevant folclore. He also wrote an interesting lament on the plague that hit Rhodes in 1498.

It is in Greek with brief explanations in English and I have no time to translate. If I find an english translation, I'll post it later.

Basically pays homage to the last king Konstantine Palaiologos, curses the Turks, blaims the west for not coming to the aid of the City, calls on the Pope, the Alamans (Germans), Hungarians, Vlachs, Serbs, Italians, Spanish, Portuguese, English and French to unite and fight to take the City back and foresees that it will be Greek (or actually back to the hands of Virgin Mary) again some day...

More or less a typical type of Lament poems that followed the fall of Constantinople and of "Romania".

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2008 at 00:32
Originally posted by Yiannis

Basically pays homage to the last king Konstantine Palaiologos, curses the Turks, blaims the west for not coming to the aid of the City, calls on the Pope, the Alamans (Germans), Hungarians, Vlachs, Serbs, Italians, Spanish, Portuguese, English and French to unite and fight to take the City back and foresees that it will be Greek (or actually back to the hands of Virgin Mary) again some day...

More or less a typical type of Lament poems that followed the fall of Constantinople and of "Romania".

I don't know of an English translation of this poem offhand.  In fact, I did not recall ever reading about Georgillas in my studies.  But, as Yiannis has pointed out, these lament poems have a lot of literary tropes in them and tend to be kind of boring.  There were many of them published after 1453 in both the East and West.  I like the histories and chronicles much better.

Post Reply Post Reply