Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Napoleon Bonaparte

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Do you think Napoleon Bonaparte was poisoned?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [50.00%]
7 [50.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Napoleon Bonaparte
    Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 04:31

If yes, by who?

���DZj�~�� ��������
�� �� �C �q �D �� �� �� �� �T �� �� �g �A �� �� �� �� �� �U �N �� ��
Scytho-Sarmatian View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Scytho-Sarmatian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 05:29
Historians who make the claim seem to point to the British.  That would not surprise me.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 07:46

I disagree, Britain had no need to poison him. He was their prisoner and totally under their control. And when you have an ace in your hand you don't disgard it.

Modern researchers tend to go to French royalists who were worried Britain may use him as a bargaining chip against them, were worried by discontent in the country in his name and just plain frightened he'd make another comback.

His food was prepared by his own cooks and there's been much speculation one of his servants may have been a royalist spy.

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2005 at 01:53

i think he died of stomach Cancer

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2005 at 02:58

so do I, I tend not to jump for such theories unless I can see some real proof.

If he was poisened though, Paul is right, its more likely a Frenchman than a Briton behind it.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2005 at 19:19
I tend to think he was, they say that forensic analysis showed that he had arsenic levels 30 times higher than a normal persons, meaning that he had to have been ingesting large quantities of it that could not have been absorbed from the surrounding environment.
Member of IAEA
Aquila View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Aquila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2005 at 21:34
I don't think he was poisioned, but I agree that if he was it would have been by the British.
Aquila©2004 Victor Chevalier
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2005 at 16:30

Originally posted by Genghis

I tend to think he was, they say that forensic analysis showed that he had arsenic levels 30 times higher than a normal persons, meaning that he had to have been ingesting large quantities of it that could not have been absorbed from the surrounding environment.

well, Napoleon took poison after his first abdication in 1814, doctors claim this beign the reason for his stomach cancer.

Winterhaze13 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2005 at 17:01

No, I don't think he was murdered. He wrote in his will that he was poisoned but many people say foolish things when they think they are going to die. Also, he was in exile for six years when he died and he was out of shape, so why would the British kill him when he wasn't a threat anymore.

And his father Carlo died of the same thing. The doctor concluded that it was stomach cancer without knowing that.

Indeed, history is nothing more than a tableau of crimes and misfortunes.

-- Voltaire
French author, humanist, rationalist, & satirist (1694 - 1778)
 Post Reply Post Reply