Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Book recommendations on the Caliphate

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Book recommendations on the Caliphate
    Posted: 25-Sep-2008 at 10:29
I was browsing on Amazon for books on the caliphate, mainly Ummayad but also late Abbasid.  (sparked by browsing for information on Mahmud of Ghazni) Suffice it to say the searching has not gone well, so I decided to come here.  I was looking to gain a more solid understanding of Islamic civilization, (its rise, expansion etc.) can anyone recommend some quality books?  The only one I've read specifically on the caliphate is When Baghdad Ruled the World:  The Rise and Fall of Islam's greatest dynasty by Hugh Kennedy.  I enjoyed it but it ends in 935 and it only increased a desire to learn more.  (I debated whether to put this here or in Q & A, figured this was the better spot)
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2008 at 14:43
Get Vol I of Venture in Islam by Hodgson, it is an academic read, from the 60s, but still the standard.  
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2008 at 02:20
Yeah I bought one of Kennedy's books too; "The Great Arab Conquests - How the Spread of Islam Changed the World", but it's gotten mixed reviews so I won't vouch for its quality until I've read it.

Bernard Lewis I hear is an accomplished scholar of Middle Eastern history, you should look him up.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2008 at 03:02
Be careful with Lewis, he is a tad bit of an islamophobic, most especially in his recent more "popular" and less "academic" writing. We've reviewed him quite a bit, and while he started academics in the sixties or so like Hodgson, he obviously has been around more due to Hodgson's unfortunate death. Hodgson is the cornerstone of the more modern approach to world history that is not centric and the author of the great western transmutation (a rather elaborate and genious treatsy on why the rest of the world , with the Islamic world as a prime example since that is his expertise did not industrialize like Britain France and rest of the West Europe.

Edited by es_bih - 26-Sep-2008 at 18:28
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2008 at 17:38
Many thanks guys.Smile 
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2008 at 18:35

See if there's a "Cambridge companion" to it - I'm not sure if you'll be able to get them in the states in any stores around you, but search on Amazon or something. They probably do, because there are such companions on all the main areas of ancient history and there are at least 3 on Shakespeare, and one for each major philosopher and their works.

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2008 at 22:55
Originally posted by es_bih

Be careful with Lewis, he is a tad bit of an islamophobic, most especially in his recent more "popular" and less "academic" writing. We've reviewed him quite a bit, and while he started academics in the sixties or so like Hodgson, he obviously has been around more due to Hodgson's unfortunate death. Hodgson is the cornerstone of the more modern approach to world history that is not centric and the author of the great western transmutation (a rather elaborate and genious treatsy on why the rest of the world , with the Islamic world as a prime example since that is his expertise did not industrialize like Britain France and rest of the West Europe.

Reading biased literature is only dangerous for ignorant people. For the rest it's both entertaining and educational, since you can start a lot of internal debates with the author as you read, which force you to think about not only whether or not the author is wrong, but also why. It's especially edifying if you read it alongside works by authors with a different take on the subject.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2008 at 00:05
I never said it is dangerous, not a censor, just to be careful not to take some of his "facts" to heart. But, as far as reading it for academic criticism, I have already done that exstensively with Lewis' work, especially his more recent publishing with a protegee of the late Professor Hodgson in a semester long seminar that was rather productive. Thus I have no qualms with that and would advocate that as well. 
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2008 at 00:33

I never said it is dangerous, not a censor, just to be careful not to take some of his "facts" to heart. But, as far as reading it for academic criticism, I have already done that exstensively with Lewis' work, especially his more recent publishing with a protegee of the late Professor Hodgson in a semester long seminar that was rather productive. Thus I have no qualms with that and would advocate that as well. 

So Middle Eastern history is your field of study and specialty then? I assume you may be able to give some recommendations in addition to Hodgson?

Besides the aforementioned authors I have found a general history by one Goldschmith, a book on Moorish Spain by Richard Fletcher, as well as several books on Byzantium (by authors like Haldon, Runciman and Treadgold) , the Crusades (Riley-Smith, Jonathan Philips, Runciman again), the Mongols (particularly "Mongols and Mamluks" by Reuven Amitai-Preiss), Tamerlane (Marozzi, Forbes Manz, Nicolle) and the Ottomans (especially Caroline Finkel, Halil Inalcik and Franz Babinger). Some of these I have read and some are still on my reading list. Most recently I have read Albert Hourani's somewhat sociological history of the Arab peoples.

What I'm interested in now are mainly books that are less generalistic and more narrow and in depth about smaller, perhaps even quirky aspects of Middle Eastern history. If you know any books like that I'd be grateful for recommendations, I'd also appreciate any input on the books I already have given priority. My main interest is the Middle East from the rise of Islam to its conquest by the Ottomans.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2008 at 03:43
My field for the most part is Medieval studies relating to Western Europe and the Balkans, branching off into the Middle East for the obvious reasons when co-related. As far as authors seems I read the same ones you do. Finkel is an excellent pick out of those to me for the Ottomans, for one not from the region natively, nor from any group that is trying to profit from a more specific history, which enables her to be much more neutral across the board when discussing. Lewis on the other hand is not necessarily neutral. One thing about him though, the man knows how to use sources, so for an academic persepcetive and a more hands on example what sources are and how sources are to be used he can be a pretty good example. His early work was more neutral, and lately more assumptive in my opinion. I get your desire for more hands on topics that are not broad. Did you read Saladins biography by Stanley Lane Poole?, in my mind a great work altough a century old, on the life of a great statesman. You may hear Mohammedan, etc... vocabulary wise, but moreso due to the commonality of the terminology at the time of publishing than because of some bias or ill feeling; Poole is neutral and specific, used a broad range of sources and gives a good account on the conquest of Jerusalem and its aftermath. 
Btw do you have any good recent works  written or translated into English on the Mamluks?
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2008 at 23:13

My field for the most part is Medieval studies relating to Western Europe and the Balkans, branching off into the Middle East for the obvious reasons when co-related. As far as authors seems I read the same ones you do. Finkel is an excellent pick out of those to me for the Ottomans, for one not from the region natively, nor from any group that is trying to profit from a more specific history, which enables her to be much more neutral across the board when discussing. Lewis on the other hand is not necessarily neutral. One thing about him though, the man knows how to use sources, so for an academic persepcetive and a more hands on example what sources are and how sources are to be used he can be a pretty good example. His early work was more neutral, and lately more assumptive in my opinion. I get your desire for more hands on topics that are not broad. Did you read Saladins biography by Stanley Lane Poole?, in my mind a great work altough a century old, on the life of a great statesman. You may hear Mohammedan, etc... vocabulary wise, but moreso due to the commonality of the terminology at the time of publishing than because of some bias or ill feeling; Poole is neutral and specific, used a broad range of sources and gives a good account on the conquest of Jerusalem and its aftermath. 
Btw do you have any good recent works  written or translated into English on the Mamluks?

Nay, I haven't read any specific books on the Mamluks yet, sorry. Thanks for your recommendation of Poole's book though, I tend to get more enjoyment out of the older works, at least aesthetically (Gibbon!).

Edit: We seem to be in the same department. I have just finished a masters degree in medieval European studies myself.

Edited by Reginmund - 27-Sep-2008 at 23:14
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2008 at 00:04
Thumbs%20Up
Soren Svendsen View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Soren Svendsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2008 at 01:17
I would also recommend Fred M. Donners The Early Islamic Conquest and a book he edited which contains some divergent views of the early expansions and the context it happened The Expansion of the Early Islamic State.
For the one wishing to have a short introduction, Gerald Hawtings The First Dynasty of Islam - The Umayyad Caliphate AD 661-750 is fairly easy-read.
Lipovan87 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Lipovan87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2008 at 01:20
"Seeing Islam as Others Saw It" compiled by Robert G. Hoyland is a nice sourcebook which translates a few otherwise forgotten pieces of Syriac and other languages.Big%20smile
Human error is a certainty, the location of it is not.
Soren Svendsen View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Soren Svendsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2008 at 13:32
Originally posted by Lipovan87

"Seeing Islam as Others Saw It" compiled by Robert G. Hoyland is a nice sourcebook which translates a few otherwise forgotten pieces of Syriac and other languages.Big%20smile

It's a rich source book. But can be really hard to get a hold on.
Lipovan87 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Lipovan87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2008 at 13:41
I've got a copy. The problem is the low publishing just for academic purposes. You might want to contact the publishers to see if they have any spare copies to sell you or even try Amazon. I've seen a few copies up for sale there every so often.
Human error is a certainty, the location of it is not.
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2008 at 15:53

Hello to you all

Hoyland's book may be a good read about the conquests, much of the documents agree with Arab sources and documents of that period and later by the way while some differ of course, but it is not helpfull in knowing the history of the caliphate.

Here are several books that one can read to learn more:

for the theory of the caliphate, the ultimate source is Al-Ahkam Al-Sultaniyah for Al-Mawardi, it is translated.

for a short biography of all the caliphs, Tarikh Al-Khulafa (history of the caliphs) by Al-Suyuti, he traces almost all the caliphs including the Cairo caliphs, it is also translated.

As for more, I think our friends above gave enough good sources for you to start although primary sources are always the best sources to read.

AL-Jassas
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2008 at 10:22
I'm halfway through "The Great Arab Conquests" by Hugh Kennedy now. I guess how you rate it depends a lot on what you expect. For a beginner this is an entertaining narrative history with brief discussions of the sources as they become relevant. If you've read a few books on the topic before I doubt you'll find much more than a retelling of what you already know. Kennedy's writing could be clearer in a few places, but it's merely nitpicks on my part that most people probably won't even notice.

Objectivity seems to be one of Kennedy's strong points. In no way, so far at least, does he tend toward islamophobia nor political correctness. He gives the Arabs full credit for their military achievements against larger and more well-equipped enemies, but doesn't shy away from aspects that may be repugnant to modern readers, such as the vast quantities of Berber slaves taken in the early stages of the conquest of the Maghreb.
 Post Reply Post Reply