Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Job as Beta tester

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kingofmazanderan View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kingofmazanderan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Job as Beta tester
    Posted: 22-Aug-2008 at 10:41
Hi all i am a video gamer who wants to get into the video game industry.  I do not have a back ground in programing and was wondering if anyone knows how to become a Beta tester for big name companies.  I have tried looking online but have not found any real jobs.  If anyone has any idea how i can break into the game industry i would like to hear it.
DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2008 at 12:25
Originally posted by kingofmazanderan

Hi all i am a video gamer who wants to get into the video game industry.  I do not have a back ground in programing and was wondering if anyone knows how to become a Beta tester for big name companies.  I have tried looking online but have not found any real jobs.  If anyone has any idea how i can break into the game industry i would like to hear it.

Hmmm.   I don't know about other gaming companies, but for Paradox Interactive, maker of the Europa Universalis and Hearts of Iron series's, all of the beta testers are unpaid volunteers from within the online community.  And there are plenty of volunteers willing to work on their own time so Paradox never has to pay betas.  I wouldn't be surprised if some similar situations existed at other companies.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2008 at 12:29
You want to get a job as a tester, not as a beta tester. Beta testing is normally done by committed customers, so it is done free.

If you can, take a class on software testing or read up on the subject, and try to meet people who do software testing. I know a person who just applied as a software tester in Lucas Arts and ended up doing 3D animation.

kingofmazanderan View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote kingofmazanderan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2008 at 06:05
Thanks both very much
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2008 at 13:51
Testing is a bit close to my heart, as I am a tester myself and have done Beta testing in that past.

Beta Testers as mentioned in previous post, is usually done by masses who volunteer for the games through on-line forums, they usually never get paid. Alpha testers are mainly employes of the company and they do get paid.

Now there are ways if becoming a tester, one way is to do the ISEB software testing qulification, which has multiple levels, Foundation, Intermediate and Advanced qulification. The intermediate level is divided into Test Manager or Test Analysis.

Its a hard road and dont be fooled by the common mistake most people and companies make, thinking testing is all about running test, or in gaming industry about playing the game. I have spend a week creating a character with different colour hair, different type of style, level it to level 1 and then delete it, and start from begining, all that to make sure the character creation is not bugged.

To be a tester you need to have a different mind set, I love it and would not change it for the world, you need to decide if its for you.

Galahadlrrp View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Galahadlrrp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2009 at 10:00
--If you enjoy gaming, you really don't want to become a beta tester. I did it for several years in the 90's, for companies like SSI, building on my old hobby of board wargaming.
--By the time the finished product comes out, you will almost certainly be sick of the dam game. This will remove from the thing the most of the fun you now get from playing a new game.
--But if you really WANT to be a beta tester, you need to be prepared to spend a lot of hours abusing the game, over and over--you WANT it to screw up and you try everything you can to make it screw up. And then you document each glitch, bug, weirdness, etc, in detail, so the coders can find and fix the problems. AND you offer suggestions as to ways to improve the thing, or as to why something sucks, or why something is wrong. And you do this on version after version. You'll need dedication.
--By the time the thing is released, that can be a lot of hours you've given from your life, in return for a credit and a free copy of the production version, hours you could have been partying and cavorting with luscious maidens--or playing the final version of the latest Total War series offering.
 Post Reply Post Reply