Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Archaeological excavations 19th century

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
shemhazay View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote shemhazay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Archaeological excavations 19th century
    Posted: 23-Jun-2008 at 23:45
Hello everyone, I am new at the forum.
I wonder whether someone could help me with question, which bothers me for some time. What was the legal ground for the archaeological excavations in 19th century, and in the beginning of 20th c. in the Middle East? I wonder, on what ground archaeologists of these this could pursue excavations, and, what is important, they could take excavated artifacts with them to their home countries? Maybe they could take anything they want without any problem, because it was common practice in 19th c.? Or maybe there were some international agreements on these issues? Or maybe in each case there was separate agreement between local authorities and archeologists? Lots of archaeological excavations took place in the Ottoman Empire. What was the attitude of Ottoman administration regarding archaeological excavations pursued by European countries (like Britain, France, and Germany)?

I have searched for answers to these questions, but there is nothing more than just the history of 19th century archaeology. No one writes why they actually could take these thousands of artifacts to Europe. I do not think that it was illegal in these times, but I do not really know.
Thanks for any replies.
shemhazay
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2008 at 08:50

Well I rather call them explorers, Gentleman adventurer's. One in particular that pops to mind is Caludius James Rich who explored Mounds of Babylon and Persepolis. He Published memoirs called Memoir of Babylon (1815) and Second memoir of Babylon (1818) and he has also did an exhibition in British Museum which he so nicely named as trinkets and artifacts he had collected during his travels...

I just like the way so many people who have taken various artifacts out of the countries they have excavated and classify it as their collection, but it is also better be kept in mind that most governments in those days were either puppet governments who relied heavily on foreign help or simply didn't care about their historical sites.

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2008 at 09:22
One of the most important things to consider is that 200 years ago nobody cared about old pots and other artefacts (excepting those made of gold, most of which had been long since looted anyway), and people were more than happy to get paid for those useless old things. At that time the western archaeologists were considered excentric; it's only relatively recently people have been starting to scream about "theft" and "cultural genocides" (clarification: only recently the 19th century digs got these epiteths). 

Edited by Styrbiorn - 24-Jun-2008 at 11:25
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2008 at 11:06
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

One of the most important things to consider is that 200 years ago nobody cared about old pots and other artefacts (excepting those made of gold, most of which had been long since looted anyway), and people were more than happy to get paid for those useless old things. At that time the western archaeologists were considered excentric; it's only relatively recently people have been starting to scream about "theft" and "cultural genocides". 

And there are still some countries now who really dont really care about thier heritage. Iran is one of them, and god knows how much of Iraq sites have been destroyed during these recent years.
shemhazay View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote shemhazay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2008 at 16:55
I understand that countries of 19th c. just did not care. So this was enough? To take thousands to Europe of objects it was enough to unearth them, or there were any agreements or regulations? So when exactly the concession system was introduced and why?
Joinville View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Joinville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2008 at 12:39
What happened was that in particular the Ottoman and Egyptian governments began caring as these "Gentleman adventurers" started turning up in ever increasing numbers.

Originally you dealt with the local authorities, province governors etc., to get admission to excavate and remove stuff. Local authorities DID take an interest, not least because the might make a nice cash profit/bribe.
But the of course these Westerners weren't particularly fussy about the legitimacy of things regardless and tended to remove whatever they liked they could find.
What there wasn't, which was the big problem, was anything like national antiquarian policies, with administrative functionaries to regulate things in the Middle East.

But they eventually were instituted. In the case of Egypt what happened was that there was this private expedition from Bordeaux led by a self-styled archaeologist named Auguste Mariette, who around 1850 started excavating the grave field at Saqqara in Egypt.
He didn't exactly have his papers in order, found a bunch of stuff and brought them out of Egypt and back to France. In his case however the Khedival government of Egypt had a brain-wave, and since Mariette had proved to them that they would have to protect the antiquities of Egypt, they decided to "set a thief to catch a thief", and offered Mariette the job of organising and heading The Egyptian Antiquities Service. These days Zahi Hawass has the job Mariette originally got.

And Mariette was a burly 6'3" red-headed giant who could handle himself in a scrap, which was actually necessary in the early days of the Egyptian Antiquities Service. He at one point attacked and boarded the steamer of a local governor who was trying to spirit antiquities out of Egypt without an export licence.

Mariette was succeeded by his assistant Gaston Maspero, and the French dominated the organisation through both the monarchies and British colonial period to the extent that the director was always a Frenchman. Right up to the Egyptian nationalist revolution in the 1950's, from since the directors have always been recruited among Egyptians.

So since the mid 1850's anyone wanting to dig in Egypt and bring out objects would have to make a deal with the Antiquities Service. Standard deals included persmission to dig on the condition that objects found would typically be split 50/50. The wrangling over the bust of Nefertiti in Berlin to this day is over the allegation that the German archaeologists in Amarna hid it among a lot of rubbish before presenting the finds to the Antiquities Service people, who missed it when divvying things up.

Afaik the Ottomans got a similar arrangement going somewhat later than Egypt. The attitude of Western powers also mattered quite a bit. The German Empire in particular was very conscientious about getting exactly regulatied digging concessions and dealing what they considered fairly with Ottomans, Egyptians etc.
That was of course done partly to spite the British and French, who having politically controlled colonies of their own as a matter of course assumed responsibility and control of the archaeological matters there and could eventually to pretty much as they liked in directly controlled areas of India, Indochina, the Middle East and Africa.
One must not insult the future.
 Post Reply Post Reply