Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tracing Jewish Ancestry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tracing Jewish Ancestry
    Posted: 26-Dec-2008 at 22:08
Al Jassas:
Is there any Ashkenazi Jew who can claim to be descendant of Himyarites or Qahtans?
Which group of jews can claim to be descendant of this arab people? Sephardic ones?
I support your theory, but then, lets make it clear:
Ashkenazi Jews: Descendants of khazar converts to judaism, slavic tribes (mostly slaves) converted to judaism, and germanic tribes converted to judaism. They speak yidish, a germanic language with hebrew words.
Sephardic Jews: ? They speak ladino, a kind of spanish dialect?
Ethiopian Jews: Descendants of african (black) tribes converted to judaism. No connection with any other tribe. Do they speak any specific language?

Please, correct if I'm wrong. If you want to recommend me books about it, I would be glad.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2008 at 01:38
Originally posted by Dante.S

Al Jassas:
Is there any Ashkenazi Jew who can claim to be descendant of Himyarites or Qahtans?
Which group of jews can claim to be descendant of this arab people? Sephardic ones?
Ashkenazi Jews: Descendants of khazar converts to judaism, slavic tribes (mostly slaves) converted to judaism, and germanic tribes converted to judaism. They speak yidish, a germanic language with hebrew words.

Ashkenazi Jews are not descendants of Khazars. That was just a quasi-fantastic hypo lacking sufficient evidence behind.
Σαυρομάτης
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2008 at 04:32
Originally posted by Sarmat

Originally posted by Dante.S

Al Jassas:

Ashkenazi Jews are not descendants of Khazars. That was just a quasi-fantastic hypo lacking sufficient evidence behind.

Then how you can explain the existing Ashkenazi surname "Koestler", which means "The Khazar", among a lot of other ashkenazi khazar surnames?
Ashkenazi are, at least in part descendants of the khazars, like it or not. There is enough proof to prove it.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2008 at 10:23
It seems very likely that there are some Ashkenazi Jews today who are descendants of the Khazars, among others. Others may be descendants of Slav converts and descendants of Germanic converts.

That's a very different thing from saying an Ashkenazi Jew must be one of those things, or that Ashkenazim are the descendants only of converts (except of course in the same sense that all Christians and all Muslims and all other Jews , as well as Buddhists, Sikhs and anyone else you can think of are all descendants of converts).
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2008 at 14:56
Hello to you all

Actually there are many evidence that support partial khazar ancestry of Ashkenazi. The historian Douglas Dunlop gives some of them in his book "The history of the Jewish Khazars".

As for Ashkenazi jews being connected to Arabs there is no way. Ashkenazis lived in europe and Arab jews lived first in Yemen and Hijaz, part of them became muslims and part remained Jewish, part immigrated and part stayed.

While only a minority of Ashkenazi are semitic, the majority of Sphardic are. Part are genuine Arabs who converted after the second temple distruction and almost all Yemenites are and the rest are an amalagmation of different semitic peoples who converted to Judaism one way or another.

The question here should be are all Jews Israelites? the answer is a definite no. Many of the Sphardic Jews are semitic yes but this proves nothing since they could be either Aramaic, Phoenician, Kanaanites, Assyrians or Arabs who are all semitic as well. Ashkenazi on the other hand as I said in earlier posts are mostly germanic, slavs, Turkic and a minority of semitic peoples.

Finally about the ethiopian jews, they probably came with the Ethiopians after they were kicked out from Arabia by the Sassanids. I don't know about genetics but I think that a study proved they were ethnic African.

AL-Jassas 
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2008 at 15:04
What does it take to make a 'Jew' an 'Israelite'?

Is one ancestor who lived in Israel enough? Do all his ancestors have to have lived in Israel? What does one mean by Israel? Originally it is the name of a person not a country: the country got its name because some of the children (descendants) of Israel lived there: they weren't called Israelites because they lived in Israel. And many of the children of Israel in the Biblical accounts didn't ever live in Israel: in fact they frequently fought against it.

To try and find any kind of clarity in muddy waters like this is fruitless.
pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2009 at 12:36

From what I understand,original Jews were dark complexion Semite people of Middle East in antiquity.

It appears to me that some Jews had ethnic transformation as they look exactly like Europeans.You're no longer your old selves,why bother.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2009 at 11:30
To qualify as Jewish in relatively modern times you have to have been born of a Jewish mother (who of course had to have been of a Jewish mother and so on recursively).

All that guarantees is that at least one of a modern Jew's 64 great-great-great-great-great grandparents was Jewish. Which is why many look like Europeans, Africans, Arabs and Indians and so on - if 'looking like Europeans' or any other group has any significance whatsoever.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789