Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

which alternative history books are the best?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guess View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Guess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: which alternative history books are the best?
    Posted: 22-May-2008 at 04:11
By best, I mean most plausible. I know alot are BS. Which ones are written the best.
Could have some SciFi element in it if its incorporated well and the rest of it is based on solid history.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2008 at 19:05
I don't know a lot of alternative history books, but a very good one I read was Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy. It quite realistically tells of a Soviet invasion into Europe, and the subsequent events, from the point of view of a lot of different characters in all sorts of factions and positions.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Peteratwar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2008 at 08:44
Turtledove has done varying ones.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2008 at 06:05
Willim Forstchen & Newt Gingrich wrote an trilogy about the South winning Gettysburg and the rest of the war from that point.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2008 at 16:55
I'm just re-reading The Once and Future King by T.H.White. It's not a serious alternative history book in the sense of really trying to answer the question '"hat would have happened if..." But it is an alternate history in which the land of Malory's Morte d'Arthur is real, and the Angevin succession a fable.

And it has a wealth of knowledge about heraldry, weaponry, wild life, field sports and hunting. As well as a fascinating version of an old story. And a plethora of arguments against violence, and aggressive war.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2008 at 18:12
Not really sure what you mean by alternative history, but sometimes anti-mainstream historiography makes it way into the mainstream. I read 'Origins of the Second World War' by AJP Taylor last year for college, his arguments are now regarded as pretty mainstream thought but back then were groundbreaking and controversial...
Erasmus Folly View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Erasmus Folly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2008 at 13:13
Certainly one of the best is The Man in the High Castle by Philip K Dick. This novel won the Hugo award for best SF novel in 1963. It was not the first alternative history novel but it helped define the genre.

The novel is set in the former United States in 1962, fifteen years after the Axis Powers defeated the Allies in World War II and after the U.S. surrendered to Nazi Germany and the Empire of Japan. Germany and Japan have occupied the US with the dividing line at the Rocky Mountains.

A truely excellent read.
One must think like a Hero merely to behave like a decent Human Being.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2008 at 14:21
I'd say the Plot against America by Philip Roth and Fatherland by Robert Harris both based in a 1960s world after a Nazi victory during WWII. In both cases the US has gone a step closer toward dictatorship under the rule of Kennedy (the father not JFK). One is set in the US, the other in Germany. Both excellent int their own genre. 
I am a free donkey!
Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2008 at 15:24
The belisarius series by David drake and Eric flint is a truly excellent read.

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Caoimhe View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Caoimhe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2008 at 19:42
Niall Ferguson's, Virtual history: alternatives and counterfactuals is an alright one.
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2008 at 20:30

All of these are by Robert Cowley and they are all very good reads, they use a bunch of short (10 pages or so) essays to describe different historical scenarios. I'd recommend these for sure.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
chean View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote chean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2009 at 16:46
One of my favourites is Harry Turtledove's 'The Two Georges'. The basic plot is a detective story set in an America that never left the British Empire. It's a pretty good story and has quite an interesting view of an alternate America.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2009 at 16:44
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=2&oq=faren&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADBR_enUS315US315&q=fahrenheit+451

A Ray Bradbury classic! There is also a movie version, which is very good!
I feel the usage of "Alternative History" is miss-applied here! It should also include histories which disagree how the past is already arraigned! In that case, there are dozens also.
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
 Post Reply Post Reply