Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Battle of Isandlwana

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battle of Isandlwana
    Posted: 16-Apr-2008 at 09:52
Can we discuss a little about the Battle of Isandlwana between the Zulu and the British armies? I would like to now about...everything! Numbers, tactics etc. I find it to be very interesting.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2008 at 12:03
have you been watching the documentary on TV, the day before yesterday? Wink

All I can say that it was an example of bad planning and execution on behalf of the british.
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Peteratwar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2008 at 12:14

Fatal splitting your army when there is (somewhere) a more numerous and highly mobile enemy. Also fatal when command gets divided.

In short a beautiful example of how to do everything wrong and allow a small part of your army to be destroyed separately

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2008 at 13:54
every years they come up with a new thoery. Blame the rifles, blame the ammo boxes, blame the quartermaster, so on.

Everything but the simple fact, Chelmsford was incompetant.

He left a supply depot and ordered them NOT to fortify it.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Jonathan4290 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Jonathan4290 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2008 at 21:42
If you want to wait about two months, the battle is in line to have a n animated battle map made for my site. Smile
Like great battles? How about when they're animated for easy viewing?
Visit my site, The Art of Battle: Animated Battle Maps at www.theartofbattle.com.
 Post Reply Post Reply