Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dialects of Arabic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dialects of Arabic
    Posted: 02-Apr-2008 at 09:48
This site (link) largely echoes my opinions on the Arabisation of the ME - that is to say, nothing special has happened after Islam, that wasn't happening for centuries or millennia before it.

I still can't find anything about any mass conversions to Maronites though. (That is what I was looking for when I found this)
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2008 at 15:33

Here is a link to the Shihab family:

http://www.stmaron.org/marhist9.html

which talks about baptism of Shihabis. Anyway, the problem is in the sources. Most are in Arabic and exists in old print, since any revival of this will discredit some of the maronite leaders who claim Aramaic identity despite the fact them being Arab. If you know /arabic I will give you a link to one of the sources printed in the 20s which is possibly the best source for Lebanese history in those times.

Al-Jassas
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2008 at 10:28
So it does...
My Arabic is not good enough to be able to read it I don't think, but thanks for the offer anyway
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12