Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

X-country skiing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X-country skiing
    Posted: 04-Feb-2008 at 19:13
I love this sport and I love to go out into the wilds and ski with my X-country skis whenever I can. With all this snow here I have gone locally. Anyone else enjoy this great sport.

I think it brings out my Nordic half-

Edited by eaglecap - 04-Feb-2008 at 19:14
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2008 at 19:36
No snow here, almost all companies who run skiing tracks here have bankrupted.
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2008 at 03:42
I've been wanting to try this sport for along time, but I want to find a partner to learn with. But it's like pulling teeth trying to find someone who is interested.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2008 at 17:58
Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

I've been wanting to try this sport for along time, but I want to find a partner to learn with. But it's like pulling teeth trying to find someone who is interested.

No Norwegians where you live?
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2008 at 18:28
There are more ski resorts in Turkey than one would think. And I bet it would be much cheaper than anywhere else in Europe.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2008 at 18:44
Originally posted by Feanor

There are more ski resorts in Turkey than one would think. And I bet it would be much cheaper than anywhere else in Europe.

Cross-country is free though ;)
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2008 at 06:58
Clap  Eaglecap for devoting a thread to the greatest of individual sports.  My favorite sport besides Baseball.  I started skiing when I was 4 and have loved it ever since.  One burns more calories skiing than swimming or running, you're dead tired after 25km (or 50Shocked) but man is it worth it.  Too bad the snowfall's been on the downside for some years now, but its still enough to get out and enjoy it.  Which hasn't been a big deal for me... I haven't been going out more than a few times a year since I started college.Ouch  (fall of 03')

Eagle- Have you ever done any races?  Now those are fun, participating in, but also watching.  Especially the olympics, except for that 94' Norway/Italy 4X10 relay...  (when one is a fan of the norwegian team)

S&D- Do you live on the east coast?  Otherwise I would think you'd be able to find a friend or someone to go.  I found its not as difficult as one may think to trick others into coming with.Evil%20Smile  Of course if the person isn't big on fitness its usually a one time thing.LOL  I know its not the most popular sport among my friends/peers because of the intensity.  If you are unable to convince any friends you can always take a learning class at the nearest ski lodge/park.  Unappealing as that may sound.  (I will say that I got several of my cross-country running/track friends to join the high school team and they really got into it, if that helps at all)
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2008 at 07:03
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Everywhere?  Here, if you use the parks, (groomed trails) you have to pay for parking.  Though its usually pretty reasonable, especially if one has a "park pass/membership".  Thank god for those ten thousand lakes.WinkLOL

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2008 at 08:20
Originally posted by Justinian

Everywhere?  Here, if you use the parks, (groomed trails) you have to pay for parking.  Though its usually pretty reasonable, especially if one has a "park pass/membership".  Thank god for those ten thousand lakes.WinkLOL

Yes. My hometown has some 90km prepared tracks, with some trails going into the residential areas (the forest goes into the town as well, so to speak). One track - they're all connected - goes about a 100 meters from my door. I used to ski to school when we had skiing on the PE classes, it was easier than carrying the damn things. But you don't need those prepared tracks, there's endless availability in the forests and lakes :)

Edited by Styrbiorn - 07-Feb-2008 at 08:24
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2008 at 20:06

Yes. My hometown has some 90km prepared tracks, with some trails going into the residential areas (the forest goes into the town as well, so to speak). One track - they're all connected - goes about a 100 meters from my door. I used to ski to school when we had skiing on the PE classes, it was easier than carrying the damn things. But you don't need those prepared tracks, there's endless availability in the forests and lakes :)
90Km?  That has to be pretty cool, your hometown's in northern sweden right?  Couldn't agree more about using forests and lakes; its a lot harder on ice, and therefore great for training.  (though under the right conditions on lakes you can just fly)

SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2008 at 21:14

No Norwegians where you live?
Just to go alittle OT-Can't say I've met anyone with any Scandanavian background around here. It's mostly Italian and Irish.
But most people around here are into Basketball and (American)football.
S&D- Do you live on the east coast?  Otherwise I would think you'd be able to find a friend or someone to go.  I found its not as difficult as one may think to trick others into coming with.Evil%20Smile  Of course if the person isn't big on fitness its usually a one time thing.LOL  I know its not the most popular sport among my friends/peers because of the intensity.  If you are unable to convince any friends you can always take a learning class at the nearest ski lodge/park.  Unappealing as that may sound.  (I will say that I got several of my cross-country running/track friends to join the high school team and they really got into it, if that helps at all)
I live in South-Westernern Connecticut, I'd this area is more apart of the New York Metro area then it is New England. Because of that, I think people around here aren't very interested in any kind of Winter sport, atleast as far as I can tell. I see it in the media too. I just got the channel NEw England Sports Netowrk, and watching it, they have alot of Hockey commericals, the sports culture seems very different.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2008 at 07:01
Belive it or not, i was the x-country champion of my hometown in 1978. But my promissing career ended, cause i preferred to play basketball.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2008 at 21:08

Clap Eaglecap for devoting a thread to the greatest of individual sports. My favorite sport besides Baseball. I started skiing when I was 4 and have loved it ever since. One burns more calories skiing than swimming or running, you're dead tired after 25km (or 50Shocked) but man is it worth it. Too bad the snowfall's been on the downside for some years now, but its still enough to get out and enjoy it. Which hasn't been a big deal for me... I haven't been going out more than a few times a year since I started college.Ouch (fall of 03')

Eagle- Have you ever done any races? Now those are fun, participating in,but alsowatching. Especially the olympics, except for that 94' Norway/Italy 4X10 relay... (when one isa fan of the norwegian team)

S&D- Do you live on the east coast? Otherwise I would think you'd be able to find a friend or someone to go. I found its not as difficult as one may think to trick others into coming with.Evil%20Smile Of course if the person isn't big on fitness its usually a one time thing.LOL I knowits not the most popular sport among my friends/peers because of the intensity. If you are unable to convince any friends you can always take a learning class at the nearest ski lodge/park. Unappealing as that may sound. (I will say that I got several of my cross-country running/track friends to join the high school team and they really got into it, if that helps at all)

Thanks Justinian
I plan to go soon to the Little Spokane River Natural Area which is connected to Riverside State Park and it is a great area to X-country ski in and it is free. But, the snow is melting around here fast so unless the weather changes I may have to go further north. There is also the Colville National Forest and Couer d' Alene National Forest (Idaho) with some really nice groomed tracks, usually by volunteers. I do not do competition or any racing. I just like going out into the wild and enjoying the quiet beauty of the Rocky Mountains. I love to go through snow bound meadows and the only sound you hear is the swish of the skis. It is great to bump into elk, moose or deer- maybe big foot- Okanagen National Forest, in the Cascade Range, has a huge X-country ski area which is run by the U.S. Forest Service but the trails are probably groomed by volunteers. I will have to head there sometime. I also alpine ski but after rupturing a disk in my lower back I have held off till I feel I am ready to downhill ski again but Nordic skiing is fine. There is so much open space and wild lands here to explore on skis but this year I may not have to the time to wilderness camp on my skis, favorite activity.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2008 at 01:53
Ulrich, man, that is awesome.  Too bad you switched.

I've heard eastern washington is indeed a beautiful place, sounds like there's plenty of parks out there which is good.  Camping on skis, I admit I've never done that, though it sounds great. 

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2008 at 02:06
There isn't much opportunity to do Cross-Country skiing in Australia unfortunately. Well, that I know of at least. Like some others here, I have no one to do it with. I'd love to try it, because I'm definitely one for adventure sports and the outdoors. I might look into it...
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2008 at 20:53
It is a beautiful area and very diverse. It ranges from desert to high alpine forests. Spokane is in the yellow pine belt- pondarosa pine and so it gets a fair amount of snow for x-country skiing but the further north you go the better it is. I will have to start X-country skiing in BC Canada sometime in the future. For now all our snow is melting in town so I can't ski in the local region and the temp looks like it is warming up but it could change- still winter. I will have to head up north to Colville National Forest for my trip which means more gas costs. We still have snow on the ground but it is icy and crusty and not good for skiing. Montana is fantastic for Nordic skiing so next year I plan a trip deep into the heart of the Bob Marshall wilderness for a long 3-4 days for a winter wilderness trip. This area has herds of elk over 200 and yes grizzly but hopefully they will be in asleep in hibernation. This trip will have to be planned well since the temps there can be -o many times over and this can kill you fast. I will have to ask around because it is hard to find people who will go to this extreme in camping but I know some crazy people. I love it!!
 Post Reply Post Reply