Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Quest for the Tomb of Alexander the Great

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Quest for the Tomb of Alexander the Great
    Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 20:02

I thought I'd let you know that my new book, The Quest for the Tomb of Alexander the Great, has just been published and has become available through www.amazon.com and www.amazon.co.uk in the last few days. It updates and extends the story relative to my first book, The Lost Tomb of Alexander the Great, published in June 2004. There are too many new things to describe here, but, for example, there is an entire new chapter on a fragment of a high status Macedonian funerary monument found embedded in the foundations of St Marks in Venice just a few metres from the place where a body brought from Alexandria originally lay. There are more details on my website at www.alexanderstomb.com

Best wishes,

Andrew

Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 21:13

As I said in another thread, there is also a tomb of Alexander in Ecbatana, the summer capital of the Persian and Alexander empires (we know Alexander died in the summer), several Persian and Arab historians have mentioned this tomb, there was even a Greek inscription on the tomb which unfortunately has been lost.

"Stone Lion of Chaeronea", Greece (after the battle of Chaeronea in 338 BC) & "Ston Lion of Ecbatana", Iran (after the death of Alexander in 323 BC):

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 24-Jan-2008 at 21:13
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2008 at 00:54

The answer is very easy. The tomb is in his birth land, in Macedonia and the Macedonian people knows that very well but because of the politics and a war between Macedonia and Greece it is well hiden somewhere in my country Macedonia. You'll see.
The Greatest General and our father is resting in peace in his home, guarded very well by his children  the Macedonians. 

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 06-Mar-2008 at 09:44
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2008 at 01:05
I think it is almost certain that Alexander was not buried in Macedonia but somewhwere in the east.

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2008 at 15:42
I believe his tomb is situated in Mesopotamia.
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2008 at 16:40
I would guess Mesopotamia too. My second choise Egypt and the third is the area in Greece where many aristocratic Macedonian Aecides were Buried. There's a suspicion that Olympia might have wanted Alexanders body returned to a place near her.

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Vorian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Vorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2008 at 17:34
Originally posted by Makedonija

The answer is very easy. The tomb is in his birth land, in Macedonia and the Macedonian people knows that very well but because of the politics and a war between Macedonia and Greece it is well hiden somewhere in my country Macedonia. You'll see.
The Greatest General and our father is resting in peace in his home, guarded very well by his children  the Macedonians. 

LOLLOL

I wouldn't be surprised if some poor bastard's remain are found and dressed up to Alexander the Great's bones.

Didn't the Athenians did something like this when the Oracle of Delfi asked them to retrieve Thiseas' bones?

Anyway, it was probably lost somewhere in Egypt, imo

Edited by Vorian - 06-Mar-2008 at 17:35
Kamikaze 738 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Kamikaze 738 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2008 at 20:45
I dont think he is buried in Macedonia or Greece, but instead somewhere in Egypt or somewhere around Turkey...
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2008 at 20:55
1st) Macedonia is part of Greece
2nd)Turkey? Really? I'd say either Babylon, Iraq (where he died in the first place) or Alexandria, Egypt

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Antonivs View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Antonivs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2008 at 21:03
Alexander tomb was in Alexandria (of Egipt).

His body was envoyed to Macedon, but his general, Ptolomeu, robed the body, and came with him to his city, Alexandria.

There, the body of Alexander, rested for several centuries, on a funerary sanctuary (in the middle of Alexandria) called the "Sema" of Alexander.

Eventually his body was profanated:
- Octavianvs robed Alexanders signet ring
- Caligvla robe Alexanders breastplate

Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2008 at 00:37
Originally posted by Antonivs

Alexander tomb was in Alexandria (of Egipt).

His body was envoyed to Macedon, but his general, Ptolomeu, robed the body, and came with him to his city, Alexandria.

There, the body of Alexander, rested for several centuries, on a funerary sanctuary (in the middle of Alexandria) called the "Sema" of Alexander.

Eventually his body was profanated:
- Octavianvs robed Alexanders signet ring
- Caligvla robe Alexanders breastplate

Many people also believe that his bones may have been switched with the bones of St. Mark. But ofcourse, the church refuses to allow the remains to be subject to tests.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2008 at 01:21

there is a grave site in Kuwait which is very likely his burial ground, remember in those days kuwait was part of babylon

Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2008 at 14:45
Originally posted by baniyas

there is a grave site in Kuwait which is very likely his burial ground, remember in those days kuwait was part of babylon

Do you mean Failaka Island?

Julius Augustus View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Julius Augustus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2008 at 06:18
Ecbatana, isnt this the former capital of the Parthian Empire, I think Hephaeston is burried there instead of Alex
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2008 at 18:23
There's much interesting speculation in this thread, but not very much evidence. Confused Yet much evidence exists! If you are interested in the evidence, then the "The Quest for the Tomb of Alexander the Great" will fill you in. You'll be able to comment authoritatively.Wink

Best wishes,

Andrew
Arthur-Robin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2019 at 06:36

This might be a good topic at present, I just saw new news about it in Egyptology group in Linkedin.
(There were also a few other threads/topics on this found in forum search
http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17259
http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6562
http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=22323 .)

Alexander died in Babylon after a drinking contest? There was a tomb/cenotaph of Alexander found in Egypt a few years ago but apparently no body because he is apparently still missing/lost?

I haven't looked in to this much yet but a few candidates so far include:

Amphipolis (Kasta) tomb
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphipolis
http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,34548.0.html

One of the 7 wonders of the world like maybe the Pharos of Alexandria? (Maybe the Pharos ties in with the tomb of St Mark theory? "St Mark" comes from Mercury/Hermes/Thoth (Trismegistus), or Mars, or Mark Antony, or emperor Marcus Aurelius.)

Serapeum?

The glass coffin mentioned in one post reminded me of Cicero's daughter's body "lay intact in an unknown transparaent liquid".

There is a similarity with the tomb of "(King) Arthur"
"Arthur's grave not known" / "an eternal wonder is the grave of Arthur" (Black Book of Carmarthen, Stanzas of the Graves), Arthur's grave "nowhere seen" (W. of M.)
and of St Patrick "no one knows his sepulchre, nor where he was buried" (HB).
(Arthur might be Fred the skeleton found in lead coffin/sracophagus in St Martin le Grand in Dover and now in Dover Painted House museum collection?)
Also compare Vortimer buried in brazen pyramid?

I'm also reminded of Shugborough ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shugborough_inscription ).

Emperor Trajan was called "Alexander (the Great)".

Edited by Arthur-Robin - 28-Mar-2019 at 02:01
NZ's mandatory fluoridation is not fair because it only forces it on the disadvantaged/some and not on the advantaged/everyone.
 Post Reply Post Reply