Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

what is the purpose of the House of Lords in Engla

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guess View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Guess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what is the purpose of the House of Lords in Engla
    Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 17:55
What is the purpose of the House of Lords?
Do you have to be noble to be a member?
How do you become a member?
Did the house of lords ever have more power than than the house of commons?
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 19:57
I might be wrong but I think its function is as a function of any upper house of any parlament -- representation of  interests of particular district of a country.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2008 at 11:46
Currently it's all in a state of flux, because a lot of constitutional re-arrangements are being made and proposed.

Originally the House of Lords had the same function as the first and second Estates in France for instance - to represent the landowning classes and the senior clergy. Membership was usually hereditary (except for the bishops and abbots) but of course new hereditary titles could always be created (and indeed, via bills of impeachment and attainder, got rid of).

However, from the earliest beginnings, the crown was entitled to summon peers into the House for life only (and indeed for just the term of one Parliament). it became rare however - even unheard of - for this to happen, although the title of Prince of Wales is not hereditary.

Acts of Parliament required the assent of both houses as well as the approval of the monarch. This is still technically true, but the monarch hasn't refused a bill in more time than I care to look up, and the House of Lords merely has delaying power (it can amend legilstaion and send it back to the House of Commons) although sometimes delay means the bill has to be abandoned.

In 1958 life peerages were formalised by the Life Peerages Act, and since that time the overwhelming majority of peers appointed have been for life only.

In 1999 most of the 700 or so hereditary peers with the right to receive summonses to Parliament was reduced by statute to 92. That figure is expected reasonable shortly to be reduced to zero.

Meanwhile all life peers are appointed by the government in effect, though the system of appointment is regulated by an independent body. There are proposals around however to elect members of the Lords directly, or to mix appointed and elected peers in different proportions. That may reduce the present tendency for the Lords to take less and less of an independent line.

If that's not enough, the wikipedia entry looks OK

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2008 at 16:28
Yes House of Lords did once have more power than the commons I think this change afer the English civil war (correct me if im wrong)

in reality today it job is to act as a check on parliment as it can block any legislation from passing for a period of 1 year and the commons loathe to use the parliment act to force it through.

H of Lords had a considerable role to play untill recent reforms and was always considered as Conservative controlled

however with recent reform removing almost all hreditarty peers and plans for it to become partly elected it is in a change 

it main role currently is as i said a check on the commons nad key contrabution in debates as some of the appiontees are experts from different fields

it is not as politically bounds as the commons with minimal whipping and also a large number of cross bechers with no politcal alliagence, meaning it is no longer conservative dominated.

It is predicted most of the changes will happen after the next general election regardless of the result  

Post Reply Post Reply