Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Good historical Novels about Rome

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guess View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Guess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good historical Novels about Rome
    Posted: 04-Jan-2008 at 07:36
I have read colleen Mccullough, Steven Saylor, and Lyndsey Davis.

I am particularly interested in Novels that take place outside the "corp" period of rome. There are a ton of books that take place from 100 BC - 100 AD.

Anything in really early rome(I know about Steven Saylor's book) or very late in the imperial period? What about a novel taking place in Italy after the fall of the empire?
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2008 at 11:24
Gore Vidal's Julian (about Julian 'the Apostate') is the best I can think of offhand outside 100BC-100AD. Inside that period though, have you read Robert Graves' I, Claudius and Claudius the God?

How about, for instance, novels set in Roman Britain? Or do they have to be Rome itself?

(I'd mention Bulwer-Lytton (Last Days of Pompeii) and Lew Wallace (Ben Hur) but if you can read them you're a better man than I am.)
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2008 at 15:43
"Quo Vadis" by Sienkiewicz.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2008 at 15:45

I like also "Spartacus" by Giovagnolli.

kilroy View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
AE Editor

Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2008 at 20:04
Just check this link out -

http://www.allempires.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=17444

It has a ton of novels based in Ancient Rome.  As well as other areas of the Ancient world!  The link is stickied at the top of the Lit forum also btw. 

-kilroy
Kilroy was here.
 Post Reply Post Reply