Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

King BAKANA?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tarrosset View Drop Down
  Quote tarrosset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: King BAKANA?
    Posted: 27-Dec-2007 at 19:33
Dear Lady / Sir,
I have a beautiful old postcard, approximately 1900, not  travelled, representing the photographic portrait in black and white of an old black men with large white beard, exuberant cap with feathers of ostrich, equipped with tunic with large squares. Sat on a species of tricycle.... The only printed text: BAKANA. Please, which is this character? A African king? of which country? data? ... Thank you very much in advance as of the your pleasant answers and GOOD YEAR 2008!
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2007 at 01:55
Can't help you with the picture but the word Bakana in japanese means fool or idiot or silly something to that effect.

Edited by Dawn - 29-Dec-2007 at 01:56
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2007 at 13:14

Bakana also could be African name, cause yesterday i watched a movie ''Goodbye Bafana''. Bafana was a name, similar to bakana...

pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2007 at 10:47
Originally posted by Dawn

Can't help you with the picture but the word Bakana in japanese means fool or idiot or silly something to that effect.

Actually, that's baka. Bakana is not really a Japanese word.

Join us.
Eondt View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Eondt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2008 at 06:30
Actually Bafana is an affectionate term meaning "boy" or "son". The South African football team is called Bafana Bafana, loosely translated as "the boys".
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2008 at 22:57
Originally posted by Eondt

Actually Bafana is an affectionate term meaning "boy" or "son". The South African football team is called Bafana Bafana, loosely translated as "the boys".

Really? Thanks for info mate Wink
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2008 at 23:31
I understand BAKANAs are a great source of potassium.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2008 at 14:44
Hey,

I would like to see this post card as it interests me greatly. Bakana is a riverine community in Rivers State of Nigeria and I hail from there. The community is over a hundred years. It is possible that the picture on the post card is that of a cheap.

Hope to hear from you soon.
Boma View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Boma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2012 at 04:56
This was posted  long time ago and I do not know if people still follow the post.  The picture or photo you are talking about was  the King of a small clan in Southern Nigeria West Africa called BAKANA kingdom. It was a break away kingdom from the mother kingdom named KALABARI kingdom. The people are of the Kalabari Ethnic group of the greater Ijaw tribe. The name of the King is  CHIEF IGBANIBO WILL BRAIDE . This is not a guess because I am a native of that kingdom.
Izon_Otu
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2012 at 09:37
In many parts of Africa important people are addressed as Bwana (Master)
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Boma View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Boma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2012 at 03:27
Originally posted by Nick1986

Bwana is not BAKANA..
Izon_Otu
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2012 at 08:26
Originally posted by Boma

Bwana is not BAKANA..

It might be a regional dialect
Boma View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Boma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2012 at 15:09

Originally posted by Boma

Bwana is not BAKANA..

It might be a regional dialect

Bakana is a Town that became a kingdom. The people of BAKANA are called KALABARI and they belong to the greater IJAW tribe of Nigeria. Their dialect is KALABARI IJAW
Izon_Otu
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2012 at 08:30

Postcard from ebay featuring Nigerian king of Bakana, early 20th century
Boma View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Boma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2012 at 14:37

But this does not seem to match the king that was described . I have a picture close to that description  but I could not down load it here to post. His name is Chief Briggs.

Edited by Boma - 08-Oct-2012 at 21:06
Izon_Otu
Boma View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Boma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2012 at 15:11

Postcard from ebay featuring Nigerian king of Bakana, early 20th century

His name is CHIEF INIIKEIROARI YOUNG BRIGGS.

This  second  picture might be the one in question which was in black and white. This man was also a Founder of a Kingdom known as Abonnema which is also a break away kingdom from the ancient KALABARI kingdom. This picture matches the description of the picture of the possible ancient king with white beards sitting on a tricycle and wearing  feather decorated  Hat. But the interesting thing is ,There were numerous KINGS dressed in this fashion from the same region at the same era and all were of the IJAW TRIBE of the NIGER DELTA of Nigeria. BONNY, OKRIKA, OPOBO, NEMBE  kingdoms are the  notable ones.

Edited by Boma - 08-Oct-2012 at 15:14
Izon_Otu
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2012 at 07:30
I can't see your image Boma. Could you post a link to it please?
Boma View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Boma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2012 at 10:55

I can't see your image Boma. Could you post a link to it please?

That makes sense. To post a link..

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=196318996899&set=a.493257321899.292598.196318186899&type=1&theater

That should work.
Izon_Otu
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2012 at 07:40
I can see the resemblence to the old man in the ebay photo. Perhaps the two chiefs were related?
Boma View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Boma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2012 at 11:21

I can see the resemblence to the old man in the ebay photo. Perhaps the two chiefs were related?

They are all from the same Tribe called Ijaw and from the same Clan called KALABARI of the Ijaw tribe. But Chief Igbanibo which is the black and white Photo  Broke away from the KALABARI kingdom headed  by Chief  AMACHREE  (  He also looks exactly like them ) due to reasons and the Kingdom started its decline. It was supposed to be the VERY KINGDOM of the entire IJAW . As chief Igbanibo broke away to found his own kingdom he named  BAKANA, other factions of the remnant KALABARI kingdom also broke away to form ABONNEMA kingdom  and was headed  by Chief Briggs which is the second picture in color..

http://books.google.ca/books?id=pIR-mgBiJ-gC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false
Izon_Otu
 Post Reply Post Reply