Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question about the Moors who ruled Iberia.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about the Moors who ruled Iberia.
    Posted: 21-Jan-2008 at 23:39

Well, those comments just complement what was said before.

(1) Arabs invade the Berber's lands of the Maghreg, impossing Islamic culture.

(2) From theirs bases in the Maghreb, Arabs invade Spain with Middle Eastern and Berber troops. That was the origin of Al-Andalus.

(3) The Moors (Islamized Berbers + Arabs) start to invade West Africa reaching as south as Mali, founding cultures like Tombuctu.

In short, events in Spain and West Africa were caused by the same civilization that was invading Europe, the Bizantine Empire, India and even reaching China: Islam.

Islam is the common denominator of all of this.

For me it is crystal clear.

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2008 at 01:02
(3) I don't think Timbuktu was ever conqured by Arabs (unless you count Tuareg), but I am not certain that the almoravids didn't make it that far. (they invaded from the west)

Either way, Timbuktu was founded long before Islam

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 22-Jan-2008 at 01:02
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2008 at 01:09
Timbuctu yes, but classic Timbuctu culture was a product of Islamization.
drgonzaga View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

banned

Quote drgonzaga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2008 at 15:35
Omar, the realm of the Ghana was a dim memory by the time of the Mali Kingdom since the intervening history of the Sosso makes that abundantly clear. Further, the description of Kumbi-Saleh recorded by Al-Bakri secures the fact that the Ghana restricted Islamic traders to their own compound. It would be highly illogical for an ethnic kingdom such as Wagadou of the Soninke--where the animist religion served as the legitimizing force of rule and matrilineal descent held priority--to abandon its traditions and methods of rule for the sake of "strangers" obviously constricted to their own spheres of operation. If there is a commonality in the Arab sources it is their assertion that the realm of the Ghana clearly antedated Islam although later chroniclers of the 13th and 14th tended to confuse the Soninke realm with the "Mali" of Mansa Musa. Islamicization of the Sahel is a phenomenon of the late 12th and early 13th centuries; and the subject here under discussion is the assertion that the Berbers that entered Spain in the 8th and 9th century were Blacks! I believe that contention has been throroughly rebutted.

Now, to this little observation:
"Certainly true. Although one wonders exactly what 'black' means. I mean, the Tuareg can be pretty dark."

The "Blue" people of the Sahara certainly had a tradition of dying their skin long before Islam but the fact that today there is actually a Black component to the culture as a result of centuries of contact does not make them culturally Black. In addition, the Tuareg are the last of the Berber tribes to fully convert to Islam and did not do so until the 15th century! The Tuareg (or the Road People in the Arabic misinterpretation of the Berber Targa) remained animists far longer than any North African grouping and Arab chroniclers of the 11th through 14th centuries display marked hostility towards the tribe. Therein another factor weakening the erroneous contentions entertained on this thread. The jalis (the keepers of the oral traditions) of the present day Mande still preserve the narratives on the conversion experience in the Sahel and leave no doubt that both the Soninke and the Sosso did not identify with Islam. Likewise, Timbuktu was originally a Tuareg entrepot, that fell first to the Mande, was reoccupied by the Tuareg, and later retaken by the Songhai.   

Edited by drgonzaga - 22-Jan-2008 at 15:38
Tyranos View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Tyranos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2008 at 23:21
Tuareg's even today still use SSA as slaves.

http://www.anti-slaverysociety.addr.com/niger.htm

Edited by Tyranos - 22-Jan-2008 at 23:23
drgonzaga View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

banned

Quote drgonzaga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2008 at 23:28
BTW, Omar with your reference to the compound name of the capital of the Nghana, the hyphenation comes from the Arabic sources so as to distinguish what was essentially their trading compound from the residence of the Soninke estabishment and the formal "palace" of the Nghana. The Mande name for the city was Kumbi, nor should we forget that earlier Berber contact prior to dynastic Wagadou existed, the Awkar, which served as the trade-contact zone for early trans-sahara trade. The Awkar region was absorbed by the Mande during the last half of the 8th century during the period of Dinga Cisse. It is hardly a secret that the Nghana prevented penetration of his realm and restricted entry beyond his center of power hence the concentration of mercantile activity to the environs of Kumbi and the origins of the entrepot called Saleh by Arabic sources. 

Edited by drgonzaga - 22-Jan-2008 at 23:31
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2008 at 01:24
drgonzaga, your first paragraph, although having a lot of words in it, doesn't appear to actually say anything.
Now, to this little observation:
"Certainly true. Although one wonders exactly what 'black' means. I mean, the Tuareg can be pretty dark."

The "Blue" people of the Sahara certainly had a tradition of dying their skin long before Islam but the fact that today there is actually a Black component to the culture as a result of centuries of contact does not make them culturally Black.

For starters, the Tuareg don't die their skin. The die their head scarf, and the die runs. For seconds, what on Earth does "culturally black" mean? You make it sound as if we are talking about American blacks. The Sahel is a very multicultural place, even more so in the middle ages. If you want to say that someone is or is not black, you should first define what black means.
The people of iberia could be said to shared more with the people of Ghana in the 9th century that their "white" brothers in Germany or even across the Pyrenees.

From what I have read, Koumbi Saleh was divided into two sections by the mid 12th century, the Palace compound, and the working part of the city - which comprised of 12 mosques.
drgonzaga View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

banned

Quote drgonzaga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2008 at 15:11
Omar, the Berbers do have the practice of skin dyes. For example, among certain Berber groups, women dye their hands with henna and the practice predates Islam. As for the Tuareg, yes the indigo dye is originally pounded onto the head veil worn by the Tuareg male (and the tagelmust is a veil and not a head scarf), but this veil is never removed (except in instances of intimacy) and neither is the face "cleaned" of the color for the blue dye is a symbol of fertility and abundance.

Now as to a lot of words that apparently do not say anything, such is a measure of the response given. The Tuaregs are not Blacks no matter how hard you wish to imply so and certainly in terms of their contact with the Sonink who were. Likewise, the notion that "the people of iberia could be said to shared more with the people of Ghana in the 9th century" is utter nonsense. Nor is there any way to confuse the 11th century narrative of Al-Bakri who clearly distinguishes the original Soninke establishment (al-Ghala or Kumbi in Sonink) from the commercial entrepot. Current archaeology pretty well establishes the actual development of the site prior to Islam and the contacts between the Sanhaja Berbers and the original Mande inhabitants. The fact that the founding Mande component. along with its archives, was utterly destroyed in 1076 certainly makes mush of the claim of a "divided" Kumbi Saleh in the 12th century. Further, the expansion of the Nghana against the Berber entrepot of Audaghost in 1050 signals the break between the Sonink and the Islamic commercial network. The struggle between the Almoravids and the Sonink signalled the decline of the latter who by the close of the 12th century were under Sosso rule and shortly thereafter the city disappears from history. 

Edited by drgonzaga - 25-Jan-2008 at 15:27
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2008 at 23:41
You did it again. You provide a lot of history, which I admit I don't know whether it is right or wrong so I will assume it is correct, but you don't address the point of my post.

The difference between a veil and headscarf is immaterial, I was going to call it a Kaffiyah but I didn't think you'd know the word. (By the way, what on earth does entrepot mean? Google tells me its French for warehouse but that doesn't appear to be how your using it. You will have to forgive my English, I am a fluent native speaker)

I am not implying Tuareg are black, I am mocking your use of the word black. Black is not a culture, except possibly in America, where Black Culture refers to the culture of the American blacks. Certainly in this case the Soninke are not black.
"the people of iberia could be said to shared more with the people of Ghana in the 9th century" is utter nonsense

Not really, both Ghana and Al Andaluce were advanced civilisations, which is more than I am willing to say of Germany in the 9th century.
drgonzaga View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

banned

Quote drgonzaga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2008 at 12:02
Oh, Omar I would have understood kaffiyah and probably used it had that been the Tuareg headgear and they Arabs, but neither is true thus the use of the actual name tagelmust, since the garment is quite elaborate and an impressive piece of wrapped cloth. Now as to the word that threw you: entrepot. Yes, its roots are French but as with the word factory, from the Portuguese feitoria, it does have a specific historical meaning. In this instance, Wikipedia explains its usage correctly. An entrepot is a trading site set up for the supervision and collection of duties (and the storing of goods). And in terms of Kumbi Saleh that was the exact reason for the Islamic quarter. It was where the Nghana ensured not only control of the trade but also imposed the levies for its conduct.

Now as to Black culture and the perils of political correctness. Yes, the Sonink were a Black culture group (think anthropology and not contemporary sociological guff) and in this instance quite distinct from the mores, beliefs and traditions that characterized the Berbers, Arab society, and the commonality that is the circum-Mediterranean as well. In fact, even Islam had to adapt itself (or was adapted) to the cultural prerogatives and customs of the trans-Niger peoples [in fact even today the volatile question of shari'a within a sub-Saharan context is a cultural conflict in terms of the imposition of a Wahhabi perspective upon the older accomodative Islam that took root].

Now, I would quibble with your use of civilization but then you should expect that given my perspective that Islam is a part of the "Western" cultural tradition [and in a way the Arab empire a prolongation of the old Roman polity (OK another intricate word, sorry)]. Not that I too given a choice of residence between Cordova or Aachen in the 9th century, would choose the former! Nevertheless, throwing Kumbi-Saleh into the equation is a bit of the old apples-and-oranges dilemma since both Kumbi and Aachen would be most unpleasant.  
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2008 at 01:32
Now, I would quibble with your use of civilization but then you should expect that given my perspective that Islam is a part of the "Western" cultural tradition [and in a way the Arab empire a prolongation of the old Roman polity (OK another intricate word, sorry)].

I completely understand what you mean when you say that.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2008 at 04:17
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

....Not really, both Ghana and Al Andaluce were advanced civilisations, which is more than I am willing to say of Germany in the 9th century.

That's a generization. First, let's see what we meant by "civilization". We talk about a civilization when we analize a society that has a widespread culture that is based on cities. Now, a civilization has features such as: is ruled by a bureocracy, it usually has a set of knowledge transmitted by education in fields that go from science and technology to arts, crafts, sports and religion. In short, we talk about a Roman or a Chinese civilization, or specifically in this case about an "Islamic" civilization, but not about a syrian, ghanese or andalucian civilization.

In second place, puting Ghana and Andalucia in the same plane rest realism to the historical facts. Andalusia was in Iberia, a region that was "civilazed" during thousand of years. Iberia was part of Phoenician-Carthago civilization, then it was colonized by Greeks and also was a main province in the Roman Empire and a modest "germanic-ruled" region during the earliest Middle Ages. It didn't started from scratch at all. Muslim rule was just the cherry on top of the pie!

In the case of Ghana the reality was totally different. Muslims changed a tribal people in a modest and starting civilization modelated upon the Islamic practises on top of the local culture. It was a huge advance for West Africa but relative modest if one compares with the achievements of the Ancient and Middle Ages worlds.

By the way, the people of the lands that today is Germany were, even at the 9th century, a lot more advanced in culture and technology than Ghana. For instance, the use of hidraulic power and technological advances unknown outside Eurasia. Even in "savage" territories of Europe, like the lands of the Norse, you can find quite "modern" technologies, that were thousand of years ahead of anything known in Subsaharan Africa.

It is a pitty the tendency of rewriting and democritizing history, specially when truth is sacrified in the process.

Edited by pinguin - 02-Feb-2008 at 04:19
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678