Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is this historical building?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is this historical building?
    Posted: 06-Oct-2007 at 18:49
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2007 at 19:15
Tower of bable?
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2007 at 19:22
Originally posted by Sparten

Tower of bable?
Unfortunately it was destroyed some thousands years ago.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2007 at 20:39
Good one Sparten!tongue

My pick is that the its Iran's first nuclear reactor!

Actually I have no clue.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2007 at 00:55
Some old silo?
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2007 at 19:13
Fire temple. You know, get to the top and light a fire.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2007 at 19:35
Cyrus I was being ironic. I showed it to a co-worker. He thought it looked like................ well lets say not something you can say in polite comapany.LOL
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2007 at 20:05
Some old silo?
Good guess but incorrect!

another pic:

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2007 at 20:06
A fort?
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2007 at 22:58

Water storage reservoir.

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2007 at 06:14
A granary, in Iran no doubt.
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2007 at 12:33
Water storage reservoir.
Partly correct, it is in fact a Yakhchal

In 400 BC Iran, Persian engineers had already mastered the technique of storing ice in the middle of summer in the desert. The ice was brought in during the winters from nearby mountains in bulk amounts, and stored in a specially designed, naturally cooled refrigerator, called a yakhchal (meaning ice pit).
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2007 at 14:14
Interesting. How deep are they? To bedrock? Seems to me it'd be most efficient to dig a big whole and use the soil as insulation (on top of the thick brick walls) instead of building on the height.
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2007 at 19:31

I don't know exactly how it works but there are also two other things other than the domed structure: a large Pool (no.2) which is known as Yakh-band (Freezer) and three thick walls (no.3) which are called Saye-andaz (Overshadower)

I think ices are stored in a funnel-shaped pit inside the domed structure that is nearly 8 meter in depth.

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 08-Oct-2007 at 19:45
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2007 at 08:26
Well, for 400 BC it's stood up pretty well. I thought that it was one of those tombs from great zimbabwe at first. Xenophon described some structures like this near Armenia- could these have been "Yakchal"s?
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2007 at 10:17
The technique dates back to the 400 BC, that building is not so old, I think it has been built some hundreds years ago.

Xenophon described some structures like this near Armenia- could these have been "Yakchal"s?
How did he describe them?
 Post Reply Post Reply