Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ACONCAGUA: My last archaeological discovery!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ACONCAGUA: My last archaeological discovery!
    Posted: 07-Sep-2007 at 23:39
Today I made an amazing archaeological discovery!

I went to Los Andes city to visit a client in the corporate building of a copper mine, and after we finished the meeting I asked my boss a break to visit the Archaeological Museum of the city. A quite small museum by Chilean standards, but well provided of interesting pieces.

Well, the caretaker, that was also the director of the museum, start to describe the objects in there and when he found out I was an amateur archaeologist the conversation start to get very long.

In there, besides Inca, Diaguita, Mapuche and objects of others peoples, there were pieces of the Aconcagua culture, the group of people that populated originally the valley where I live in Chile. A people that I admire very much because of obvious reasons.

The Aconcaguas were the northern branch of the Mapuche culture, a people that become acculturized after the Inca invasion of Chile in the 15th century and that was assimilated to the Spanish invasors. They followed a distinct path, however, they spoke Mapuche like theirs cousins down south, and they also shared theirs cosmology and many of theirs customs.

To undestand my discovery, first let me show you the diagram of the Kultrun: the sacred drum of the Mapuche shaman (Machi)

The drum actually looks like this:

Now, the director of the museum show me the remains of the Aconcagua culture, from circa 900 A.D. up to 1500 A.D. The pieces looked like this:

That's the typical pottery of the Aconcagua culture, with Diaguita influences, it seem.

However, in two of the dishes shown there was draw the cross of the Kultrun!! (The sacred drum above)

The director of the museum explain me that the cross was very common in that culture, and that the kultrun pattern was one of the proofs that the Aconcagua culture was a Mapuche branch!
How old is the piece, I asked him? 800 years at least, he told me!

After seing that I could recognize, in another piece, a Mapuche myth!

I was stunned. That was a wonderful personal discovery. For myself, of course, because the experts found it before I even noticed it.

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 07-Sep-2007 at 23:41
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2007 at 20:23
Interesting...any records of what happened when the Aconcagua culture met the Spanish? or was it probably just another piece of the Mapuche collection of peoples, instead of a more distinct and isolated culture?

Edited by TheARRGH - 08-Sep-2007 at 20:24
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2007 at 20:36
When the Aconcagua people met the Spaniards, several things happened. Some migrated down south to remain free between theirs cousins of the South. Others, assimilate to the Spaniards. Some were very colaborative with the Spaniards and fought at theirs side. They forgot the culture and tried to become good "Chirstians".... the Aconcagua cultural heritage was lost and what remain is what we know from theirs cousins the Mapuches and some pottery here and there.

Now, although most mixed between the common people, in the high sphere admixture happened as well. In fact, several chiefs become rich with the Spaniards. For instance the dauther of the chief of Talagante, in the central valley, married a German immigrant and from that family descend some of the richest people in Chile. The greatdaughter of that couple was Catalina de los Rios Lisperger, a famous women known because its extraordinary beauty and ... her cruelty Confused

I believe that most of the Native admixture most people of central Chile has is from the people of the Aconcagua culture, rather than the Mapuches of the South. They are, literarily, our ancestors in this valley.

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 08-Sep-2007 at 20:39
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2007 at 20:46
Interesting! So they didn't fight back with vim and vigor quite as much...oh well. Can't win'em all...
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2007 at 20:58
Originally posted by TheARRGH

Interesting! So they didn't fight back with vim and vigor quite as much...oh well. Can't win'em all...

Well, that's why we remember the Mapuches and not the Aconcagua, anyways LOL.

It is a well know fact that in Hispanic America most tribes and peopleS gave up easy. Others never gave up! We just remember the later and forget the former.

We remember Jibaroes (headhunters), Mapuches (large armies), Mayans (resistence) and Sioux (guerrilla war), because of theirs courage. But the true is that Amerindians are people like anyone else. And you well know that when there is an invasion, many people just try to collaborate with the invaders.... I am afraid the Aconcagua were in that cathegory LOL

Moreover, the Aconcagua were already subjects of the Inca Empire, theirs southern cousins were free.

This is our Minister of Education, for instance, of Diaguita ancestry. A people that fought just a little and gave up. The Diaguita produced the most beautiful pottery in Souther South America...

The minister

And the Diaguita pottery of her ancestors:

Edited by pinguin - 08-Sep-2007 at 21:06
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2009 at 02:37
Sorry for reviving this thread. I did it so "eaglecap" could find it easily. Thanks.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2009 at 18:14
I nothing about this culture but their pottery is beautiful. I have been to so many museums and I have seen pottery from all over the world and from different periods. I think amongst the most beautiful is Meso American and south American. My favorite is still pre-Greek, Greek to Hellenisic art.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
 Post Reply Post Reply