Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Campaign against EOKA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
nuvolari View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote nuvolari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Campaign against EOKA
    Posted: 31-Jul-2007 at 05:21
I am presently reading a splendid book about Captain Robert Nairac's
activities in Northen Ireland, which, as we know, ultimately lead to his barbaric death at the hands of the IRA. One can, though, take some comfort from the fact that he had previously despatched more than just a few IRA terrorists to the nether regions beforehand.

The book draws on many parallels between Northern Ireland and the EOKA campaign for ENOSIS in Cyprus back in the late 1950's and early 1960's.  As a teenager I read the daily newspaper reports of EOKA's shootings and bombings, but I really know little more than that.
Can anyone suggest any good books or websites on the situation ?
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2007 at 10:19
nuvolari View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote nuvolari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2007 at 10:54
I like your sense of humour, Dolphin, but I am already so confirmed in my prejudices against the IRA that there is little point in reinforcing them further.  Not only that, but my experience of Black Warfare in Northern Ireland in the 1970's ( especially Psy-Ops**)leads me to believe that the minute I started expressing opinions on an IRA forum, then I'd receive so many viruses as to be rendered completely inoperable.
**My speciality was putting black propaganda on to the websites of the holiday resorts of Eire. It was amazing to monitor the US dollar transactions conducted in banks in these places, since they would plummet within days of any negative or excessively scathing critiques of these resorts - the Americans are nothing if not predictable and would immediatley give any town badly reported upon a very wide berth - or, even better, avoid visiting Eire altogether - which thousands of 'em did do !
 Post Reply Post Reply