Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest king of the Dark Age

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Poll Question: Who do you think is the Greatest King of the dark age ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
31 [23.85%]
5 [3.85%]
3 [2.31%]
2 [1.54%]
2 [1.54%]
2 [1.54%]
28 [21.54%]
2 [1.54%]
1 [0.77%]
11 [8.46%]
43 [33.08%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest king of the Dark Age
    Posted: 01-Dec-2007 at 12:35
Originally posted by Reginmund

Originally posted by es_bih

They had already lost before Kosovo, which played a more symbolic role than anything.

Please explain this. I'm not an expert on the Balkans in this period by any means, but every source I've read on it (books on the Crusades, Byzantium and Wikipedia articles on the Ottoman wars) emphasise the importance of the battle of Kosovo, as just two years previous the Ottomans had suffered a reverse at the hands of the Serbians in the battle of Plocnik, and with the victory at Kosovo they were finally able to weaken the Serbian position.

When you say the Serbians had already lost, are you thinking of the dissolvment of the Serbian "empire" and the defeat of the Serbian army at Maritsa in 1371? Even if these were serious reverses for the Serbians, I get the impression the Ottomans weren't able to reduce the Serbians to vassalage until after Kosovo, and even with the victory at Kosovo the Serbians remained in partial control of the city.

The Serbian Empire was created in 1345, but it was not extinguished at the Martisa 1371 battle. It took months after the battle for its last Tsar "Uros the Weak" to die of poor health. However fictional, the Serbian empire did continue to exist as some sort of an entity even beyond the battle. There are several reasons for it. One is that Marko Mrnjavcevic ("Kraljevic") became an Ottoman vassal, with most of Macedonia vassalaged - but the north remained free. In 1377 a new claimholder emerged in the form of the Bosnian Ban Tvrtko I Kotromanic.

The "spirit" of the Serbian Empire continued to exist in a manner similar to modern-day feelings of patriotism or even perhaps nationalism. Despite having even no ruler (!), all the noblemen collectively referred to the Serbian Empire, and forged a family alliance headed by Prince Lazar Hrebeljanovic of Moravian Serbia. There was also there Djuradj II Stracimirovic Balsic of Zeta and Vuk Brankovic of Kosovo amongst the more notable ones - but later the Ban of Macva was there too, and even (although only on paper) Bulgaria. This family alliance, which probably in its basis had the Serbian Orthodox Church that promoted Orthodox Lazar rather that Catholic Tvrtko, crumbled after the 1389 Battle of Amsfeld, leaving only Zeta hanging alone outside Ottoman control. I am full aware of three claimholders, who practically represented separate worlds: Tvrtko as a historical/legal one, Lazar with the basis of the Church and Marko Ottoman vassal representing Ottoman claims to the Serbian lands.

So the Serbian Empire existed from 1345 to not 1371, but rather 1389, at which the loose fabric of the Empire was martially and politically destroyed.
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2007 at 12:50
Originally posted by Reginmund

Originally posted by Yugoslav

I always thought to say that the Serbs and their allies won a Pyrrhic victory at Amsfeld in 1389 - with their victory being so devastating that they even largely became Ottoman vassals afterwards.

From what I can gather it seems it comes down to how you want to look at it. We don't have any exact casualty numbers, except that they were extremely high on both sides, and both sides also lost their leaders; Lazar and Murad. No matter the outcome of the actual battle though, the Serbians certainly lost the war.

That's precisely how I (and several other historians) see it - the Serbs "won" the battle, but "lost" the war. I put the markings because there's controversy in both parts. After the very battle, truly, the Ottoman Army retreated. If we observe the historical sources - King Tvrtko celebrates "his great victory" in letters to the west (Pope, Dubrovnikm Venice). The Republic of Ragusa celebrates the "great Serb victory", all Venetian sources in the following century write about a draw victory and if it is to believe Ottoman legends - the bells rang in a chain from Bosnia to Notre-Dam in France signifying the victory. However, later sources start writing about a defeat - this is surely because the future had shown the true effects of the battle. As for "" in *lost*, Serbian sources claim that they precisely managed to preserve the realm for the next practically full century, and that in there lies the "victory" in the actual war (rarely someone survived that long in the history of Ottoman conquests).
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2007 at 12:54

As Lazar had been Prince, and Plocnik if I am correct had been under control of Tvrtko I

Not quite. Plocnik was in Moravian Serbia. It was far to the east of Bosnia

Here's the map of Plocnik's presence:

http://sr.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A1%D0%BB%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%B0:Emptz_Map_of_Serbia.PNG

The commander of the battle was Prince Lazar.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2007 at 03:10
And Prince Lazar was Prince under the sovereign Tvrtko so technically Tvrtko was in command.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2007 at 03:11
Just like at Kosovo that is why the documents surrounding it such as Tvrtko writing to the Church about "his" victory at Kosovo.
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2007 at 18:32

And Prince Lazar was Prince under the sovereign Tvrtko so technically Tvrtko was in command.

Sure, he was the "sovereign" of the lands from Knin to Kosovo (AFAIK he actually claimed even Macedonia too, all the way to the Egean).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234