Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Opium of the masses

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sreenivasarao s View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote sreenivasarao s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Opium of the masses
    Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 06:15

A roman Emperor said, If you cannot give the people bread, give them circuses.
This is the approach of the establishments in the Indian sub continent. People get lost in cricket while the problems of day-to-day living seldom get attention.

ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 14:34
Originally posted by sreenivasarao s

A roman Emperor said, If you cannot give the people bread, give them circuses.
This is the approach of the establishments in the Indian sub continent. People get lost in cricket while the problems of day-to-day living seldom get attention.

This, in fact is not a new problem.
From the Romans to the German Nazis. The magnetism of all kinds of sportive entertainment was used by many rulers in different times.
But Sport, like football, is a various way to fight conflict. In as much sport might help to resolve or to enforce problems.
Ok, cricket isn't a sport, but obviously many indians belive in.

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 17:18
I always thought Cricket was catagorized as a sedative,  works for me.Big%20smile
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Sorgina View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Sorgina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 03:23
Mr. Rao I beg to differ.I think Cricket is a truly divine sport which unites people.Look how it unites the Carribean nations into one team while inother sports they compete as separate nations.

May Bob Woolmer's soul rest in peace.
sreenivasarao s View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote sreenivasarao s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 03:39
I cannot disagree with your Carribean view of cricket.
Regards
Sorgina View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Sorgina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 03:52
Look what cricket has done for the Sri Lankans.They won the Cup in 1996 and it gave them a lot of self-esteem and pride.They are doing well in this edition too.

Sports overall are a positive for the society.Sure India needs to excel in all sports.I think finances are the biggest hurdle.
 Post Reply Post Reply