Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum for this?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum for this?
    Posted: 10-Apr-2007 at 06:03
I noticed that there is not a specific forum on the Bible.  Can anyone direct me to a non-sectarian, scientific based forum on Old Testament archaeology/history?
My view is this: the pre O.T. authors spoke in the language and style of their day, using myths to teach spiritual truths, never intending those myths to be taken as literal truth.  Those myths contain some of humankind's earliest memories, often in fragmentary form, of what came before civilization after the great ice age ended and humans discovered agriculture, built the first cities and began to live for the first time in groups larger than an extended family or band. They tried to make sense of their world and to communicate in a non-literate society important information to their children and grandchildren in ways it would be remembered without writing through myth.   The O.T.'s unique contribution to these early myths was to emphasize the power of God over the powers of the demigods, stars and other natural forces. It was to bring God into this world. Most cultures viewed the Creator or Sky God as being too remote, unknowable and unreachable to be dealt with hence the pantheons of the ancients.  The authors returned God to this world where "we" are commanded to make a home for him, both in "our" hearts and in "our" actions. "We" are also commanded to carry this message to the nations of the world.

Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2007 at 01:30
"Old Testament archeology/history" would be appropriate in this subforum, since the Middle East was the scene of it.   We've actually had some lively discussions on biblical themes such as the historicity of Esther, or where Abraham's Ur was located. 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2007 at 10:38

Well, specifically my interest was started by a book called "The Age of Myth" by Tom Chetwynd(1991).  It's about  a new model for Bronze Age history in relation to the Bible stories, such as  Joseph being patterned after the vizier Imhotep(c.2700BC=Early Bronze)); semites(the Habiru) ruling the Nile Delta region(Early Bronze); collapse of pyramid age(Early Bronze) = 10 plagues;  and on and on.  In other words, that the time line has to be moved back an embarrassing amount of years.  The evidence is there for this while the evidence is not there for the traditional time line.  And I'm sure since that book more clarity has been reached on this subject, and wondering if any have heard about it or know where to go for a clear presentation of the findings, or why you disagree with it?

Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2007 at 23:18
The examples you give still have a Middle Eastern setting.  As for "chronological" controversies, we've actually had discussions on that as well.  Some of those can be found in one or more "pages" of this subforum if you are interesting in looking.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2007 at 09:04
Originally posted by LAGoff

I noticed that there is not a specific forum on the Bible.  Can anyone direct me to a non-sectarian, scientific based forum on Old Testament archaeology/history?

There's an archaeology forum and posts discussing these issues have come up before. But a whole forum for a minor sub-genre of archaeology when the major ones like Egyptology don't have one is unlikely.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply