Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Reorganization

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum Reorganization
    Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 18:08
What gcle says. I'm sorry I was not clear enough, but I was in a hurry, as pretty much always.

yes, science has always been paramount in history, not only for the technological development (which is paramount in modern and contemporary history, yet significant also during previous ages ) but also for its influences (and clashes!) with philosophy, religion and culture in general.

Moreover, also the changes in the scientific knowledge are informative per se. For instance , Aristotle believed force created velocity, not acceleration. How can this be important? well, for instance they could not grasp the importance of reducing friction in order to gain speed and, in fact, in classic world lubricants were used mostly to reduce force dissipation, in particular in cranes or such.

Many are also the ways science and technology were influenced by other facts of life. For instance the pre-colombian civilizations did know the wheel (a wheeled toy was found) but they never used it the same large-scale way other civilization did, possibly because of the mainly mountainous and forest-covered  environments where the main of them were located.

Finally history of technological development is interesting because it's a clear case of historical determinism, i.e. most (all?) defvelopments seem to be pretty much unavoidable. Evidence of that is the very common disputes between inventors: the radio, the telephone th e television and many other technologies had been invented nearly contemporay by many people pretty much the same time, so that it is clear that "times were ready" for them.
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 10:22

I have held of starting phase 2 of the reorganization as you guys have brought forth some good suggestions. Maany of them are worth incuding. I will post a revised plan later today (hopefully)

Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 19:46
Ok better late than never. How about this?

Community Forums

Community Information, Announcements- (read only)
-- Community news - comments incouraged
--Newsletter Archive
--Total Quiz Archive
--AE Magazine
 --Warning and Ban Announcements

Administration and Technical support (The Meeting Hall renamed)

The Tavern
--General Gaming and Computers
--Historical Amusement
-- Sports and Sports History
Legations and Advertising Area

General History

General World History
--AE History Portal Project
 --Womens History
-Archaeology and Anthropology
-- Historic Arts and Architecture
-- Sceince through the Ages

Military History

--Modern Warfare
--All Battles
Historical Pictures Gallery
 --Historical Maps Gallery

intellectual Forums ( needs a better name)
The Academy
Intellectual Discussion
--Philosophy and Theology
--Current Affairs
-- literary pursuits
  Linguistics
--Social Sciences
Natural History
Questions and Answers

Edited by Dawn - 26-Mar-2007 at 00:26
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 21:48
Looks good dawn.
Only one question, Philosophy and Society and religion probably shouldn't have that many 'and's in it, and should it have Society at all? Or should we drop that from the name and allow those threads to go to Social Sciences? I also think Theology is better than religion for two reasons, 1) It sounds better, and 2) We're more likely to get better and more interesting threads on religion that way.
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 21:58
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Looks good dawn.
Only one question, Philosophy and Society and religion probably shouldn't have that many 'and's in it, and should it have Society at all? Or should we drop that from the name and allow those threads to go to Social Sciences? I also think Theology is better than religion for two reasons, 1) It sounds better, and 2) We're more likely to get better and more interesting threads on religion that way.

I agree with Omar's post as a whole.

As Society somewhat can be counted in sociology, it would be better to integrate it into Social Sciences, while Theology sounds more academic than religion.
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 00:25
you are correct gentleman . It shall be as you say. Sociology will be mentioned in the discription of Social sceince.

Edited by Dawn - 26-Mar-2007 at 00:27
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2007 at 19:00
ok since no one has anything else to add I will proceed to change things about. Please remember if you can't find a thread look in some of the new forums or send me a pm and I will help you find it.  
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2007 at 19:45
looks good
I am a free donkey!
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2007 at 20:16
Originally posted by Kapikulu

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Looks good dawn.

I agree with Omar's post as a whole.

As Society somewhat can be counted in sociology, it would be better to integrate it into Social Sciences, while Theology sounds more academic than religion.

Second that.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2007 at 22:20
The layout looks good, excellent work Dawn et al Thumbs%20Up So you did settle on "Scholarly" Pursuits in the end? Good choice Smile
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2007 at 03:45
Excellent work Dawn !

Everything smells fresh and found its place - nothing like a womans touch.
Did you dust the shelves while you were at it?

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2007 at 10:43
Great work Dawn. By the way, I have a few rooms that need painting. Bring over something to eat too while you're at it! Smile

Thanks for your efforts. The forum takes some getting used to. Looks good.
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2007 at 15:55
Great job on the reorganization! It looks GREAT! Hail Dawn!!!
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 02:23
Top stuff. I like it
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 05:36
great work guysThumbs%20Up
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 05:46
Great! Very nice, I like the blue. Makes everything look fresh and new... Big%20smile

Takes a little while to get used to hitting the tavern and ban section first when using the active topics button. But everything is far more logical this way... And I like the fresh new forums too, change is good. Smile

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 11:38

The reorganization is almost complete. only minor detials to attend to now.

I want to thank you all for your imput and kind words. Hope you all enjoy the new forum.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 09:13
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Great! Very nice, I like the blue. Makes everything look fresh and new... Big%20smile

That is funny... I'm on a different pc now, and suddenly it is brown... LOL

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12