Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIsraeli weapons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Israeli weapons
    Posted: 27-Feb-2007 at 12:21
Ok! now i rarely post in this forums, but there is a bit of news that has created an interest in the high end Israeli weapon systems. It was from this story:

'An undated photo courtesy of the Israeli Rafael army industry shows a 15-tonne armoured Golan vehicle produced by the firm. An Israeli firm is to sell the United States 60 Golan armoured vehicles for use by its troops in Iraq.'

I know that Israel has quite an advanced military complex, and i am not interested in common weaponry or armament. What i am interest is in the kind of stuff you export to a superpower. The above example though i will admit is a case of a simple innovation finding timing in the market.
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2007 at 17:36
Golan Wheeled Armored Vehicle

"Golan, a new wheeled armored vehicle developed in Israel by RAFAEL was unveiled today (Sept 27, 2006). Responding to the need for wheeled armored vehicles for use in asymmetric warfare, RAFAEL developed the Zeev (Wolf) armored utility vehicle. More recently, RAFAEL teamed with US based PVI and the Merkava program Office (Mantak), to develop the Golan Heavy Wheeled Armored vehicle. Golan has been proposed for the IDF and USMC. Testing of the vehicle began in September 2006. In January 2007 Golan was selected, along with nine other candidates, to compete for the Joint US Marines/NavyArmy Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) Program. PVI is leading the team for th MRAP opportunity while RAFAEL is in the lead for Israeli and other overseas sales. On February 23, 2007 the USMC awarded PVI a first order for 60 low rate initial production vehicles, representing the first order for Golan vehicles."

"The 15 ton vehicle is designed to carry 10 fully equipped troops, providing effective protection from small arms, mines and IEDs, as well as RPG threats."

"The vehicle uses an armored monocoque structure. The integrity of this structure provides the strength to absorb the deformations generated by mines and IED blasts. The hull uses a V shaped formation and a "floating floor" panel to mitigate the blast effects of mines. It thereby provides an optimal solution to protect the crew and vehicle against the identified threats. The spall liner was eliminated, assuming the efficiency of external armor to prevent hull penetration by most threats. Unlike vehicles utilizing off-the-shelf commercial chassis, the Golan does not have a chassis at all. Instead, the 4x4 automotive system axles, and suspensions link directly to the armored structure, which acts as a frame. This approach is similar to that used with tracked APCs and tanks. It retains good off-road mobility, and is particularly suitable for operations in dense urban terrain."

"This approach enables the designers to dedicate 50% of the vehicle's weight to protection, providing effective protection from IEDs, land mines and small arms. The vehicle will be produced in three protection levels. The intermediate level provides protection from small arms, up to 14.5 mm AP and 20mm, and effective roof protection. The passive armor utilizes a combination of protection technologies including metals, composites, slat and transparent armor. The maximum protection level includes reactive modular armor tiles while the medium and light levels are based on passive modular armor. Protection from anti-tank rockets (Such as RPGs) can be provided by appliqu reactive armor modules or an active protection system which are "plug-in" add-ons to the basic design. The add-on reactive armor system utilizes the Insensitive Explosive Reactive Armor (I-ERA) tiles installed on the side walls. The I-ERA is based on the same technology provided for the US Bradley Infantry Fighting Vehicle. The reactive (I-ERA) add-on armor is an insensitive explosive known as Low Burn Rate (LBR) or Low Flammability (LF2) that was approved by both the Israeli Defense Force and the US Army."

"The vehicle can be equipped with remotely controlled weapon station mounting a machine gun, and optronic equipment, as well as the gunshot detection system."

Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2007 at 19:55

Hmmm....

Imitation is the best form of flattery.  I think that this Israeli vehicle has a near identical design and performance concept as an earlier South African vehicle (Buffalo?).

The South African vehicle was used in "Bush Wars" and had the same V- shapped hull, offset tires (anti tank mine blasts are kept away from troop compartment), armament and  armour protection.  The only difference is that the earlier South African vehicle was built on a heavy truck chassis.

Edited by Cryptic - 27-Feb-2007 at 21:00
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2007 at 03:11
i was thinking the same thing, the 'mine proof' truck cum troop carrier was a South African innovation, that quite a few countries have adapted recently. Iraq just made the whole concept relevant to the USA and now they want one to.

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2007 at 07:30
Hopefully these things aren't like the Merkava.
maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2007 at 15:58
I wonder if they can make this vehicle's armor with depleted uranium to resist against higher yield IEDs from blasting through. I know DU shells "slice like a knife through butter" when they hit tanks so maybe plating tanks and armored vehicles with a DU alloy could help make them stronger too.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2007 at 16:42
An RPG round under the wheel arch would knock it out, that is if it is invulnerable on the chassis then an RPG round anywhere would knock it out. 

Edited by Zagros - 28-Feb-2007 at 16:45
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2007 at 17:37
Originally posted by Leonidas

i was thinking the same thing, the 'mine proof' truck cum troop carrier was a South African innovation, that quite a few countries have adapted recently. Iraq just made the whole concept relevant to the USA and now they want one to.

Since they got their Nuclear program from South Africa,  a humvee is probably no big thing .
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2007 at 10:07
As a side note on bomb resistant trucks....

Nightline (a U.S. News show) ran a story that hundreds of such vehicles will be produced in the USA.   The U.S. manufactrer has hired the senior South African designer and the vehicles (Cougers) are clones of the earlier South African and Israeli vehicles.  Cougers, however, lack the remote turrent of the Israeli vehicle and do not appear to have built in armour upgrade options. 

After four years of fighting an enemy that relies heavily on lethal mines and road  bombs,  our troops are finally getting needed equipment that has been available for decades.  This just illusrates the arrogant incompetence of a former adminsitration official.    

Edited by Cryptic - 15-Mar-2007 at 10:09
 Post Reply Post Reply